Home made arrow saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home made arrow saw

Well, I made my own draw board and bow vise, so I decided why not an arrow saw. I had a dozen for a friend I needed to cut. Plenty of shops in DFW, but I'm a DIYer.

First I made sure my workbench was level in each plane. It was, so I had a good starting point. I drilled a hole for a long bolt that fits the threads for the handle on my angle grinder. My drill has a bubble level also, so I was able to ensure the hole was perfectly vertical.

Next, I threaded the bolt tight into my die grinder with a cutoff wheel. I used a square to draw a line down the bench, perfectly perpendicular to the cutoff wheel. I made sure this line was as close as possible to where the arrow would contact the wheel. I measured from the wheel the length I wanted the arrows cut to, and drove a nock groove sized nail in.

With that set up, I locked the trigger down, plugged in the grinder, nocked each arrow to the nail, and hinged them into the blade.

After all is said and done, it was easy, and I didn't have to spend money on an arrow saw. It cut the arrows to the exact length I wanted. As far as square...they weren't 100% perfect, but a few spins on the G5 arrow squaring device took care of that right away. I like to put them on it anyway after I get them cut at cabelas. I'd say it was worth it to do it myself

Very cool DIY! Me likey!

Comment

I like the simplicity. The hinge technique is your weak leak I think. You could make a stop block with a recess for the nick to rotate in, and just screw it to your table. Might not make any difference though. You are most likely getting out of square in the vertical axis.

Comment

Cut several junk arrows. The off square was in the vertical, not the hinge. Its only off by a tiny bit... Not bad for drilling without a drill press

Comment

I didn't mean to criticize your build. I know you built it for fast and simple. I'm sure if you wanted it perfect, you are more than capable of putting in more effort and making it more elaborate. It performed the function it was designed to. My DIY brain just likes to create solutions. Good job

Comment

You gave me the idea to check out where the flaw was. I think with a drill press I could make a perfect jig

Comment

Nice

Comment

Pretty freakin innovative.

Comment

If you mounted a piece of material over the top handle hole in the grinder, with a elongated hole routed into it, you could run another bolt through the hole and into the handle hole. This would allow you to make slight adjustments to square and lock it into position.

Comment

I was thinking about building an arrow cutter. I'd already built a string building jig and a bow vise. Was almost ready when I looked over at my tile saw and realized that I already had an arrow cutter. It has a stop block and a groove that the arrow sits in. The table slides into the saw. Only problem that I've had with it is that I once cut a brand new $10 arrow twice. My grandsond is one of the few five year olds with a ten dollar arrow to play with.

Looks good, but you might consider using a stop block on the nock end with two guides to keep the arrow square with the cutting wheel. You could also just cut a fraction long with your set up and square the end of the arrow by hand on the grinding wheel.

Comment

Looks cool

Comment

Good job brother. As long as it got the job done, you are happy with it, and it didn'd cost you excess money..................it is perfect!

Comment

I did kind of the same thing but I added a PVC pipe at the bottom of the blade that I hook my shop vac to. You really don't want that carbon dust floating around and breathing it.

Comment

Good job. My type of enginuity. i never thought about using that handle mount on the angle grinder as a mounting point.

Comment

Working...
                            X