Clear All

Rage broadhead and shoulder shots

Any one try to do a shoulder shot with a rage thought I would ask
    I normally use a fixed blade trough both shoulders

Hold on while I go get some popcorn!! 🤣🤣🤣

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I like that location when shooting does.
      Breaks them down and they don't usually make it out of the feed pen.
      I will qualify that statement, my shots on does aren't going to be further than 12 or 13 yards.

Bucks, I wouldn't try it.

Comment

Back when I used rage, blades would always break or bend too much if hit in the shoulder. Another reason why I quit using them.

Comment

I dug one out of a pigs scapula that had healed over after I killed her. I don’t know who shot her or what poundage they were using but the head was angled down I assume from a tree stand??? The ferrule made it through the shoulder but the blades didn’t allow it to pass through the bone

Comment

I would avoid a shoulder shot with ANY broadhead. There are better places to shoot them just 2 inches back.

Comment

This hog was no match for the Rage Trypan. I was never a Rage guy until i tried the Trypan last season. Results have been stellar. Clean pass thru on that big hog last Saturday. She went 40 yards with an excellent blood trail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Shoulder shot would never be my first choice.

Comment

I like shooting with them angling away, try to line up vertically on the opposite front leg and let arrow enter back of the ribs so it slams into the opposite shoulder from the inside. Rage usually stops in the shoulder bones and is totaled but the deer seldom travels more than a few feet. I warn you though, sometimes they bleat as they go down. I’m not crazy about that.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                    Shoulder shot would never be my first choice.

My shot of choice. All vitals behind there. That being said, as in your picture above, a proper shoulder shot does not involve bone. Just like the pig you shot, you did not hit the elbow or the shoulder blade. Nothing but vitals. After all my trips to Africa and shooting exotics, that's my preferred shot.

By the way, I don't shoot Rage, only fixed blade cut on contact broadheads
                    Last edited by rladner; 08-28-2018, 02:12 PM.

Comment

I have shot them every imaginable angle with rage broadheads. Extreme, chisel tips, trypan, hypodermic, the all have blown out the other side...

Comment

Lost a 130" 9 pt 2 years ago cause I got too close to the shoulder with a 2 blade rage and had zero penetration from 20 yds away. Shoulders are IMO "NO GO" zone with archery tackle. You have plenty of vitals behind them, don't risk it. BTW I was not aiming for the shoulder, just torqued the shot a bit.

Comment

Not very proud of the shots but I’ve killed 2 deer and 1 pig going through both shoulder blades. With a rage hypo. The pig was with a knock off hypo. I’ve had bent blades, never had one break and no issues with penetration. One doe was at 38 yards with a #60 assassin. Buried to the fletchings. I’m not scared of rage Broadheads in anyway.

Comment

I wouldn't do it. The ONLY shot I've made on an animal that didn't result in a bent BH was a double lung shot on a WT doe. Yes it was a complete pass through but it would've been with any BH. 72lb halon with 30" draw. 470gr total arrow weight.

I tucked one right into the armpit of a pig last weekend and even that bent the heck out of the blade. Officially jumping OFF of the rage bandwagon, myself. And no. These are not knock offs. Real deal Rage heads.

I agree with the above statement as well... I'm not sure i'd make a shoulder shot with any broadhead. If broadside, I'm going lungs. Qtr away, then I'll put one in the breadbasket
                            Last edited by BlackHogDown; 08-28-2018, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Not a Rage but I shot a fallow with a spitfire blew right through his shoulders at 22 yards !

Comment

Working...
                              X