Best Walkie-Talkies - Mountains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Walkie-Talkies - Mountains

My bro and I hunt out west and our blinds are 2.5 miles apart. We have a few west Texas mountains between us and we are unable to communicate with our $50 Academy Walkie talkies. ZERO phone reception out there so text or calls are not an option. What walkie talkies could we buy to be able to communicate? Even if we have to spend a few hundred dollars or more, are there a set of walkies that would allow us to communicate with the mountains between us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tagged

Comment

Try Voxyer. It is an app that you can get on your cell phone. We could talk without any service showing on our cell phones.

Comment

The most powerful radios may not work if there's a 3000 ft peak between you and bro only 2 miles away. There's a lot to be said for "line of sight"

The 25 to 40 mile range radios you see on the shelf depend on line of sight ( preferably over water ) to get that kind of range.

Once you have a 25 to 40 mile radio, you need to select the right channel and the right power level for that channel. Some channels are limited in power. While channels 1 thru 7 can operate at high power 2 watts, channels 8-14 are only .5 watts.

I use GRMS radios at channel 15 at high power and it works well with little terrain change in heavy woods.

Please refer to https://wiki.radioreference.com/inde..._channel_chart

I hope some of our TBH ham experts will chime in with more helpful info.

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
          Try Voxyer. It is an app that you can get on your cell phone. We could talk without any service showing on our cell phones.
          Thats interesting. I didn't find anything for Voxyer, I did find Voxer but the website doesn't mention direct phone to phone communications without cell service.

I did find https://www.gotenna.com/ that is basically your own private off grid cell network.

I doubt most cell phones have more than .25 watts power without a high power booster.

Comment

The short answer is NO GMRS or FRS radio will work if there is No line of sight at 2.5 miles....at least not with a radio you can buy. Your best option will most likely be to each get a Garmin Inreach. I have one I've used offshore, elk hunting in CO and at our lease outside Sonora. Couple with the Bluetooth feature to connect to your phone, you simply text using your smartphone. There is a monthly plan and this time of year I have the unlimited text messages since I'll be in areas without cell coverage often.

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
              Zello is another free app that turns your phone into walkie talkie.

Comment

I'm wondering how these apps work if you don't have any service.

Old, confused and technically challenged!!!

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

Does the Voxyer App really work without any cell service? We are completely off the grid where we hunt in CO... well except for TMobile. I’m still not sure how that is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Miller View Post
                    Does the Voxyer App really work without any cell service? We are completely off the grid where we hunt in CO... well except for TMobile. I’m still not sure how that is possible.

I’m wondering the same thing.

Comment

I have voxer, and it uses data.

Comment

well you could get your Ham radio licence and go this route.....(cough)

Comment

But without a repeater those baofengs are pretty much line of sight walkie-talkies. [emoji106][emoji16]

Comment

You should both get amateur radio licenses and you should have no problem getting around the terrain with appropriate equipment. If you used small yagi antenna with a 5 watt hand held you would be surprised how far you can talk. The terrain around you can be used to your favor in what is called “knife edge defraction”. It may seem like a lot to learn but its really not that bad and it’s very much worth it. Don’t buy a Baofeng. Buy Kenwood.

Comment

Baofeng has a warranty center in Houston.I got the BF F8 HP.

Comment

Working...
                              X