Feeder settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder settings?

I grew up hunting over bait in SC, but we dumped bags of eared corn on the ground and had at it. I'm new to the feeder thing. Property is 15 acres in the Pipe Creek area. One big neighbor and multiple 5-40 acre tracts around. I don't think there is a ton of hunting pressure around. An suggestions on how long to run the feeder for? Will probably stick to twice a day, 15-30 min after legal fees in the AM and @2 hrs before legal in the PM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How big is the feeder? A 55 gallon drum with a 12 volt spinner running for 2 seconds twice a day will last about a month in my experience. If that’s your only feeder you might want to run it longer. Set a trail cam out if you can to see what’s hitting the feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by 686 View Post
      How big is the feeder? A 55 gallon drum with a 12 volt spinner running for 2 seconds twice a day will last about a month in my experience. If that’s your only feeder you might want to run it longer. Set a trail cam out if you can to see what’s hitting the feeder.

35 gallon, 12v. Lots of does on the feeder, several decent bucks for the area, and Axis every now and then. I want to get a little bigger stand and fill this year.

Comment

The amount you feed depends on the distance from the spinner plate to the bottom of the feeder funnel, and the amount of time the feeder spins. I have a feeder that I have set at 7 seconds and another I set at one second. It depends on how low the spinner plate is. I would start at 3 seconds and adjust it as needed. I feed year round, but turn all mine down to 1-2 seconds during the off season.

Comment

I run mine 10 seconds in the morning and 10 seconds in the evening. If they’re not cleaning it all up I’ll bump it down a little. Don’t know if it keeps them hanging around but it makes me feel better.

Comment

Feeder settings?

Make sure to use one of the several coon deterrent options and your feed will last much longer. I can go about a bag of corn a month on 4 second throws.

Options are, but not limited to-
            pvc pipe on feeder legs
            slinkies on feeder legs (giving me excellent results so far)
            a varmint cage (should be full circumference of barrel- not store bought square)
            a spring loaded spinner plate- spin tech or eliminator
            carpet tacs ( mixed results)
            greasy substance on legs (gets messy)

Without one of these the squirrels and coons will rob you blind in no time.

Comment

How far away are from the feeder? If you can't fill it very often, I would just go with a few seconds to start.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
                How far away are from the feeder? If you can't fill it very often, I would just go with a few seconds to start.
                I'm a long ways, but my FIL goes out there 5-6 days a week.

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                Make sure to use one of the several coon deterrent options and your feed will last much longer. I can go about a bag of corn a month on 4 second throws.

Options are, but not limited to-
                pvc pipe on feeder legs
                slinkies on feeder legs (giving me excellent results so far)
                a varmint cage (should be full circumference of barrel- not store bought square)
                a spring loaded spinner plate- spin tech or eliminator
                carpet tacs ( mixed results)
                greasy substance on legs (gets messy)

Without one of these the squirrels and coons will rob you blind in no time.

Just one slinky at the bottom? Or tacked up higher so it stretches out to the ground?

There's really not many coons around. But a varmint cage would definitely be beneficial. The deer will spin the plate on their own sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                  I'm a long ways, but my FIL goes out there 5-6 days a week.

Just one slinky at the bottom? Or tacked up higher so it stretches out to the ground?

There's really not many coons around. But a varmint cage would definitely be beneficial. The deer will spin the plate on their own sometimes.

Here's a LONG thread on it-

Basically, attach them near where the spinner plate is and let them hang down on the legs.

Comment

I would buy a 1000# stand and fill, w/ solar panel and Timer. (Lamco, AS, etc.) Set it to go off for 5-10 seconds and try to keep feed times in the first hour of daylight and around 1-1.5 hours before dark.

If you can see the feeder from your house/camp area, spin it 1 second mid day too.

Comment

I don't know if I need anything huge. Like I said, my FIL goes out there almost every day, so it gives him something to do(he's retired and needs something to do so he doesn't drive my MAIL crazy). I was thinking a 300-400lb stand and fill would be plenty big enough.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X