Cokin Filter System - An Overview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cokin Filter System - An Overview

I recently picked up the Cokin Z-Pro Filter system to specifically control sunlight in certain shot setups. The filter kit purchased was the Graduated Neutral Density filter system. Graduated simply means the lens itself is gray on one half of the filter and clear on the other. The gray gets positioned to cover the sky/sun and bright objects. Clear covers the shadows and darker areas....leaving used on the sky/sun bright objects etc. The clear simply covers the darker and more normal light areas.

Each filter is rectangular and it slides down into Cokin's filter holder assemblyh. You can add multiple filters, up to 4, to control more light if necessary...IE Solar Eclipse.

This is the performance values based on the Graduated filter kit.

ND.3 (exposure adjustment = 1 stop, reduces ISO 1/2) Grad
    ND.6 (exposure adjustment = 2 stops, reduces ISO 1/4) Grad
    ND.9 (exposure adjustment = 3 stops, reduces ISO 1/8) Grad

I also added a solid gray filter into the mix, no clear areas, to provide an even filter with this performance value.

ND.8 (exposure adjustment = 3 stops, reduces ISO 1/8) Solid Gray

Here's what it looks like. The kit has a lens mount that basically fits the threads of the lens. In this example, my thread size is 72mm. To fit for other lenses, you simply purchase the lens mounting kit threaded for the lens size IE 52mm - 74mm in my lens collection. What this system allows, the ability to use the same filters across your lens collection saving considerable costs using the same filters for all.

As it is with a circular polarizer, you can do the same effect with this system...spinning the filter around where you want it to cover light. But it also gives an additional the screw on lenses types don't provide....control of the Graduated mark up or down, side to side, across the entire face of your lens which provides greater control over the shot.

Here it is in action. I used one of the Graduated filters for this shot.

Without filter and using two seperate settings in an attempt to control the sun and cover the shadows evenly. As you can see....a ton of sunlight flare with both shots.

Here's the shot with the graduated filter applied skyward and clear down low out of the sunlight. I could have tweaked the clear/gray graduated mark better but shot this pretty much at half mark (clear/gray even over lens) for this example shot.

Looks great Rob, thanks for sharing.

Comment

I've been looking at that system for the very reasons you mention - to use across lenses and to have ability to move the grey line up/down/sideways.

I think the filters would be most useful in sunset shots and other situations where there is a straight line between bright and darker elements.

I still am a believer in HDR for situations like your shot here though. When you have bright and dark interspersed and intertwined, rather than separated by a distinct horizon line or something, the filter is at a disadvantage. With HDR software, you can get proper exposures in all the light and dark areas no matter where they appear in the frame.

You save a little bit of overall time with the filters, probably. But setting up the filters on the lens still requires a little bit of time. Not as much as processing an HDR image, but more time than taking a picture without the filters.

Still, I want to get the filter system. Definitely the right tool for many situations. Besides, you can NEVER have enough camera gear, tools, fly rods, or guitars. That's my thinking anyway.

Comment

You just had to show a pic of the 50D too, didn't you? I'm drooling.

Comment

Great Info Rob.......I really need to learn to use my filters better.......

Comment

Wow, I need to proof my typing better LOL! Darn laptop has me tapping the mouse pad and windows key....wiping out a lot of my typing, which is requiring me to retype sections blowing my flow.

Yes Shane the HDR stuff can tweak a lot of what a neutral density filter provides but the ND filters allow longer exposure times in bright light. Thats a big plus in water movement shots, especially during periods when you can't wait around for the power hours during the morning/evening "MAGICAL" moments. I'm thinking river and coast shots when that scene is there but the light isn't the best for the right effect.....add filter....it just might pan out.

Here's another cool camera item I picked up for next to nothing. During the old school days, a lot of the lens hoods were made out of rubber vs today's hard plastic hoods. So I started looking around to see if I could find some old rubber lens hoods that basically thread onto the lens via a metal threaded base. Sure enough I found them in China at a whopping 4 or 5 bucks a hood. The cool thing about a rubber hood, you can adjust them into 3 different settings. Fully extended, half extended or pulled all the way back (no hood effect).

Here's my backup DSLR with the Nifty 50 sporting a Chinese Rubber hood in the fully extended mode. You simply need to know how wide the lens works before going into the rubber hood shopping mode. Some of the wider lenses may actually see the hood edges due to their wider depth of field.

Comment

And Shane...don't forget golf clubs, archery stuff, salt/fresh water lures and etc etc etc!!!!

Comment

Rob, I rarely play golf anymore. I love the game, but just too many other hobbies (and kids' activities).

I hear you on the motion blur. That is one of the reasons I want to get the filter system. Also, I love a polarizer in lots of situations - something else that software can't do for you effectively.

I really "need" some Syngh-Ray filters to fit into the Cokin holder. I also "need" a 50D, a 300mm or 400mm L lens, a teleconverter, a macro lens........

Maybe I need to sell a stack of fly rods, guns, guitars........NAH!

Besides, it's not about the kill. It's about the HUNT, right?

Comment

Nice explanation of how you are using the Cokin system, thanks for sharing your experience.

I started a post a while back about filters to allow people who are using them to share with others what they use, in what situations and why... the thread didn't get one response, hmmm.

Comment

and why... the thread didn't get one response, hmmm
                    I missed that thread?

Controlling light is extremely important and hoods, filters, reflectors, electronic lighting all play a role. Hopefully we can share more of the light control techniques others use to make the shot.

Comment

Rob how many different lenses are you able to use this on. I know you can buy different size lens adapter rings but how are you able to fit the filter holder on different ARs. Is the OD of the ARs the same? Thanks.

Comment

Found the info, thanks.

Comment

Just ordered a kit through B&H along with two adapter rings that will cover three lenses.

Comment

Working...
                          X