Shooting from tree stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting from tree stand

So how did some of you all get over being up in a tree stand and drawing back on game or just even practicing and not feel like losing balance after closing one it to look thru the per sight. I’ve never been scared of heights but when you’re up 18’ to 22’ having to stand up and closing one eye it’s a different feeling. Heck there’s still times I get nervous til this day.

Whats some good advice from y’all seasoned pros. Other than practice practice practice.

Learning to shoot with both eyes open changed my game big time. That and I never climb a tree without a safety harness.

Comment

Safety harness is a big one, also get a stand your comfy in. if you don't like the set up you wont shoot straight. Lastly when its slow just cycle threw your draw a few times the more you do it the more natural it feels

Comment

I don’t climb a tree without my Safety Harness. Lol I’m better strapped than some of these flat bed big rigs one sees on the highways.

Comment

Focus on the shot. Maintain your form, pick a spot. The elevation only means I need to bend at the waist and maintain my form. I don't sweat heights.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Brush Country View Post
            So how did some of you all get over being up in a tree stand and drawing back on game or just even practicing and not feel like losing balance after closing one it to look thru the per sight. I’ve never been scared of heights but when you’re up 18’ to 22’ having to stand up and closing one eye it’s a different feeling. Heck there’s still times I get nervous til this day.

Whats some good advice from y’all seasoned pros. Other than practice practice practice.
            Practice practice practice from an elevated position

Use a harness and trust it.

Comment

I did shoot my first deer with a bow standing on a small platform 35' up, but since then I have always hunted from swivel seat stands and shoot from a sitting position. Even then, I get a little nervous the first hunt of the season until I spend some time in the stand and get comfortable with the height. Always keep both eyes open to shoot.

Comment

Practice,practice then practice some more. Learn to shoot with both eyes open and shoot from a sitting position. I never stand when I shoot. Less movement for game to detect.

Comment

Originally posted by whakm View Post
                  Practice,practice then practice some more. Learn to shoot with both eyes open and shoot from a sitting position. I never stand when I shoot. Less movement for game to detect.
                  X2, except for both eyes open. I always shoot from a seated position, whether in a tripod, ladder/bench stand or hanging stand. Practice a lot.

Comment

Don't stand up to shoot

Comment

Shoot with both eyes open
                      Safety harness
                      A good quality stand with a wide base |
                      An extra ratchet strap around the tree stand/ladder to make sure it doesn’t budge at all
                      Practice practice practice
                      Bend at the waist to maintain proper form

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by whakm View Post
                        ^^^^THIS^^^^
                        I use a climbing stand with a open front so I can do just that. Get a bow hanger and have your bow hanging right in front of you come time. All you have to do is slip your hand into that grip. You really don't need to go up 22'. I have found 12-15' is perfect. I use a rope measured for that length to pull my bow up. So when my tree stand gets heavy climbing, I'm pulling my bow on that rope. I am at my 15". ALSO...MUCHO IMPORTANTE. Make sure the bottom half of your stand is tied good with rope to the bottom half of the climber. So they can not separate and your stuck up a tree with no way down because the bottom fell down the tree. Of course this is only if your using a climber.
                        A good comfortable harness will not be a pain to wear. A Harness is your friend when your elevated.
                        Last edited by Tony Pic; 01-11-2018, 08:03 AM.

Comment

I dont hunt out of treestands much any more its mostly ground blinds and tripods but I found it more stable, at least for me, to shoot sitting down. It gave me a more solid base to draw. Of course, there were times I had to stand up due to location of the animal but tried to shoot sitting down as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                            ^^^^THIS^^^^

I use a climbing stand with a open front so I can do just that. Get a bow hanger and have your bow hanging right in front of you come time. All you have to do is slip your hand into that grip. You really don't need to go up 22'. I have found 12-15' is perfect. I use a rope measured for that length to pull my bow up. So when my tree stand gets heavy climbing, I'm pulling my bow on that rope. I am at my 15". ALSO...MUCHO IMPORTANTE. Make sure the bottom half of your stand is tied good with rope to the bottom half of the climber. So they can not separate and your stuck up a tree with no way down because the bottom fell down the tree. Of course this is only if your using a climber.

A good comfortable harness will not be a pain to wear. A Harness is your friend when your elevated.

12 to 15 ft down here where I am will not work. 25 to 30 ft is the magic number.

Good info though.

Sent from my iPhone using Dilly Dilly!

Comment

I set up my stands where my shots are made from a sitting position. Would only stand if i had to.

Comment

Working...
                              X