Do you field dress your deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
    I have never field dressed a deer in my life. Heck only a couple of times have I ever even gutted a deer. Once I learned how to clean a deer without gutting it that's the way I do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree!! Same here

Comment

Just like Daddy taught me and my brother when we were 10 years old. Kill, Gut, Skin, Quarter and Ice down.

Comment

I always gut but like to hang mine in the cooler hide on for a few days before I skin and quarter

Comment

I don't mind gutting a deer but for $40 I'd just as soon the processor do it. Deer was to the processor within an hour of being shot. Where I used to hunt the processor was an hour drive so I would field dress them throw a couple of bags of ice in the cavity and take them.

Comment

Depending on where the deer is and how heavy it is i will gut it on the spot. I normally don't use a processor but i will this year since the hurricane got all my processing equipment and i am still fighting insurance. Anyway all my game will stay in the freezer until after season is over then go to a processor for sausage and chili

Comment

Never have field dressed one. I occasionally gut it if I plan to keep the rib, but that's very seldom. Usually I take it to the house (less than 10 minutes away) and debone it hanging by its hind legs. A small cut in the lower abdomen and I get the tenders. No interest in any other internal parts.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

If you hunt in the mountains, you'd be a fool not to field dress at least. I can't imagine doing anything else, butchering, backpack, and game bags even better.

Comment

My processor will do it for an extra fee but they don't like it. Too many people don't care for their deer properly and end up bringing in a carcass that starts to turn.

Comment

You would be amazed at how many people hunt and don't know how to gut and quarter an animal.

Comment

I always field dress and quarter my animal. It goes in the cooler ASAP.

I also keep the heart and liver.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Ag_Attack View Post
                        You may check into this as it’s now state specific. We had some hunters the other week from Louisiana and we had to de-bone, cape, and skull cap their bucks in accordance with a new LA law that was passed. You’re correct for deer that stay in Texas though. Makes things interesting for sure.

I haven’t field dressed a deer since I was young. Gutless method all the way. Quick, clean, and efficient.
                        As long has there is no spine connected you can just quarther the animal.

Comment

It's funny to me all the guys that say they don't gut the deer, but they "get the tenderloins."
                          It's not some major feat of brain surgery you just accomplished. It just takes a little trimming to let the guts fall enough to reach the tenderloins. Some of y'all seem so proud of that accomplishment.
                          I wouldn't even consider leaving them in the deer.

Comment

See it all the time at the processors. That's why I started doing my own. Cause my meat is being mixed with there meat.
                            I don't "field dress" deer any more. Shoot, hang, skin and quarter and on ice asap.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Must be my lucky forum! Just shot a spoke while reading

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
                                I have always gutted mine. It only takes about 5 minutes. The only reason I could see taking it to the processor not gutted would be not having any water to wash my hands.

If I quarter a deer no gutting required and I get the tenderloins.
                                This ^. Once I learned to get the tenderloins, I didn't have a need to. Now, IF I took a deer to the processor, I'm not paying to have it gutted or caped.

Comment

Working...
                                X