Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think I need to invest in some coon cuffs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
    Dukes and dry cat food. I’ve trapped 5 off one feeder in the last 24 hrs.

Skinny
    Thanks for the tip on the cat food, much cleaner.

Comment

Grenade!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mertzon Man View Post
        Thanks for the tip on the cat food, much cleaner.

Yessir. I just put a small amount in the trap...Just enough to barely cover the trigger. Heck, I can see the trigger partially usually. I’m guessing the coon gets cuffed the very first time it sticks its hand in there. No proof of that, but it’s gotta be pretty close to correct.

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by Swampa View Post
          So are you not even driving yours in the ground? Just anchoring the chain and laying them? I've got a few and have caught a few, but I've been attaching to my corn feeder legs and hammering them into the ground.
          No, I push the spike in the ground. The dang turkeys scratch at 'em until they turn them over and the hogs/javelina root em up..

Regarding the cat food and skunks... I've caught literally hundreds of coons (first season, I lost count somewhere around 130 coons), and I've never had a trap thrown that did not have a coon in it, and I've never caught anything but a coon. The only exception being when the turkeys and javelina discovered there was corn in them and they would scratch/root em up, but even then most of the time the trap would not be thrown... I'd sooner deal with a skunk than all the sticky goo and ants... I've caught several skunks over the years in live traps and leg hold Victor's... Yea, they stink, but a 22LR to the head and they clean up pretty quick. Melted, sticky marshmallows and fire ants are a genuine PITA...

Comment

Tannerite with corn piled around it!

Comment

John, they're cheaper by the dozen... and most of the time, you get a free container of "coon" bait...

Your Home for Quality Trapping Supplies. We sell traps, pest control, and predator calling equipment. Trapping books and videos, trap wax and trap dyes, trap stakes, trappers pack baskets, fur handling products

I also use those cable stakes, and threaded links to stake 'em out... They work perfect. Only lost 2 traps and both were ones tied to my feeder legs... The cable stakes are cheap, and you can drive 'em in the ground and just leave 'em.

Comment

What if you can't drive em in the ground? It's all rocks at our place! I've tried corn before but they just pick it up and shake it out the trap and sit there and eat it all! ******* coons! Plan is to trap some this next trip!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Think I need to invest in some coon cuffs?

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                  What if you can't drive em in the ground? It's all rocks at our place! I've tried corn before but they just pick it up and shake it out the trap and sit there and eat it all! ******* coons! Plan is to trap some this next trip!!

There is one feeder up on the hill where I’ve trapped quite a few coons...I couldn’t get the trap into the ground to where it would stay upright, so I chained it to the feeder leg as usual, then used some hay twine to attach it to the feeder leg in an upright position. Worked great. After the trap had been sprung, the hay twine always either broke or the trap pulled free...still being chained to the feeder leg.

Added: be sure when using the twine to attach to feeder leg, you do so in a way that it doesn’t affect trap function.

Skinny
                  Last edited by Skinny; 11-20-2017, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                    Cat food works good... until you catch a skunk. Marshmallows only for me after that experience.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                    That is why my go-to bait is banana flavored Moon Pie--even though the ants like it too.

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post

Wire it to a big rock.

Comment

You could probably put an eliminator plate on the feeder and they will leave it alone once they know they can't get corn. I haven't had a problem with coons on any of the feeders I have eliminators on for years. Much less work than trapping them.

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                          Get you a box of Dukes and a bag of marshmallows
                          This is so much fun

Comment

Those Coons are a pain. They like to hang out and come in with our bucks and eat together!

Comment

If there not spinning the plate then why would you kill them....might give you some enjoyment sitting in the stand watching them smart critters think and work.

Comment

Somewhere out there in the big deer woods is a 3 legged coon cussing my name. Didn't think it would happen but they will sometimes do whatever they have to do to get out of those Duke coon cuffs.

So now I have a lucky coon's foot. For luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X