Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any LEO's willing to answer a few questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brysdad View Post
    Trampass Gooding or something like that?
    Yes sir.

Comment

Originally posted by IvoryRoot View Post
      Yes sir.
      I know the name. Sent you a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brysdad View Post
        I know the name. Sent you a PM.
        Replied.

Comment

Originally posted by mww982 View Post
          Irving is having a civil service test Saturday, walk-ins welcome. PM for more details, been with the agency for 12 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          pm sent

Comment

Originally posted by TxSpinner View Post
            Thank you everyone! I'm currently north of Dallas so starting my search in that area. Seems to be a lot of Departments hiring. More or less just worried about the background check but may as well try.
            Whatever you do, make ****ED SURE that whatever department you decide to take a job with it is a civil service protected department. That's the very 1st thing you need to find out when considering putting in an application. If it's not civil service protected, don't even put in an application. Just find somewhere else. Fort Worth PD is about to start getting ready to put on an academy class later this year. I've been there almost 14 years. It's a good department with much better pay than most. Plus, in a bigger city like that, there is lots of opportunities to make extra money working special events and contracted security jobs. I usually pull down an extra $35-$40k per year in extra jobs and OT. But, I work alot more than most guys. Plus, with a department that size, there are lots of opportunities to go to specialized units after you've gotten some experience in patrol. Narc, SWAT, Gang, Vice, Criminal Tracking, Fugitive, Special Responce Team, Intel, Neighborhood Police Officer, TacMed, Motors, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
              Whatever you do, make ****ED SURE that whatever department you decide to take a job with it is a civil service protected department. That's the very 1st thing you need to find out when considering putting in an application. If it's not civil service protected, don't even put in an application. Just find somewhere else. Fort Worth PD is about to start getting ready to put on an academy class later this year. I've been there almost 14 years. It's a good department with much better pay than most. Plus, in a bigger city like that, there is lots of opportunities to make extra money working special events and contracted security jobs. I usually pull down an extra $35-$40k per year in extra jobs and OT. But, I work alot more than most guys. Plus, with a department that size, there are lots of opportunities to go to specialized units after you've gotten some experience in patrol. Narc, SWAT, Gang, Vice, Criminal Tracking, Fugitive, Special Responce Team, Intel, Neighborhood Police Officer, TacMed, Motors, etc.
              I dont know that Id make that a requirement. Our dept isnt (well, its city civil service which really isnt anything). Never bothered me in almost 20 years. Ive seen many times where people get their jobs back because of civil service rules that shouldnt have. There are benefits to it sometimes though if you are on someones s*^t list though I guess

Comment

Ask away, plenty of us on here. 20 years in now, 1 year break in service to work for Houston Fire.... It was waste of time. Went back to police work with a big pay raise, and never looked back.

Comment

Originally posted by 325to1195 View Post
                  Ask away, plenty of us on here. 20 years in now, 1 year break in service to work for Houston Fire.... It was waste of time. Went back to police work with a big pay raise, and never looked back.
                  Much appreciated. I think I've had all of my main questions answered through hundreds of pm's. Now I'm working on trying to do some ride along's. Also going to try and make it to the Irving event... though I haven't had a weekend off since my vacation in July of 2018.

Comment

Good luck to you

Comment

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
                      I dont know that Id make that a requirement. Our dept isnt (well, its city civil service which really isnt anything). Never bothered me in almost 20 years. Ive seen many times where people get their jobs back because of civil service rules that shouldnt have. There are benefits to it sometimes though if you are on someones s*^t list though I guess
                      All it takes, like you said, is to be on someone's Zhit list and your career could be in jeopardy. Also, as you already know, police work isn't pretty sometimes. Get one video out there of you doing exactly what you've been trained to do in a perfectly legal manner, but, it looks bad/ugly on camera and see if you don't lose your career so the city and/or chief can try to safe face in the public eye. It happens every day in this country, Sir. No way would I do this job without civil service protection. But yes, you are correct about the downside being that some folks get to arbitrate and get their job back after they've done something that should have ended their career. I will say, though, that I don't see that at all like I used to. It seems to me that arbitrators are upholding firings more than they did in the past, which is a good thing. But, civil service protection will certainly protect your job if you've been fired for political reasons or because someone just doesn't like you. In today's world, there is no way I'd do this job without civil service protection.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
                        I know Rudy well good people .....but that’s blood spatter . He says Shi- splatters, blood spatters...it’s all junk science anyway
                        Junk science?

Sandra Melgar says hi

And Rudy is a good dude. But Nick makes me laugh much more

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
                        Youre last sentence is the EXACT reason you should want it. We have a deputy who was fired a month or so ago. It was a complete BS deal and he will get his job back via civil service. Once that happens I hope he sues the pants off everybody involved!

Comment

BE A FIREFIGHTER OR GO TO THE FEDS! that's my 2 cents worth.

Comment

If relocating is not a big deal look into DPS as well. LOTS of opportunities within the department and a wealth of contacts and resources. I have worked with and learned from several of their investigators and Rangers. One of the Rangers just moved into our office And always available for help.

Comment

30 years and 3 federal BS lawsuits. 1 lasted 3 years. But I loved it.

Comment

It’s been a good 26 years at fourth largest PD in the country. All but 7 seven years, I’ve been in specialized units and team environment. Things to look for in in an agency: civil service, medium to large agency, and retirement system. The big cities and counties are liberal and if they aren’t, they will be. You’ll have Tuesday Wednesday off and work all the holidays. You’ll come across some negative people but you will meet some of the best people also. It’s not as fun as used to be but that’s my perspective. Stay positive and do if you want too. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X