Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-29-2019, 04:54 PM   #1
Pineywoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Elkhart, Splendora, Laneville & Throckmorton
Default Heart Attack Symptoms?

Looking to hear from folks that have had a heart attack. I'll preface this post with I know that you are going to tell me if I am asking these questions, just go get checked out. I am going to ask these questions because I don't have insurance and can't afford to pay off med bills for 20 years over something that may be nothing. I am healthy as far as I know with no known health issues. I've only been to the doctor a few times since I was 18 and I'll be 40 in July.

I started feeling really funny before lunch on Friday and got really light headed to the point I thought I was going to pass out a couple of times. It felt like a 200lb man was standing on my chest and I was short of breath and fatigued. This was while sitting at my desk. No pain at that point, just a tightness. I got home that evening and had my wife check my blood pressure a couple of times. First time 158/90... second time an hour later was 132/110. I wasn't feeling the crushing sensation in my chest by then so I blew it off. I was fatigued all weekend and then started having some random intermittent pains in my left shoulder and arm. Not terribly painful but attention getting. It went away so I went to bed. Today at work, the pains came back in my arm and shoulder and now my neck as well. the pain subsided now but my left arm and shoulder has felt asleep for the last 2 hours. I don't feel the pressure in my chest like I did Friday though. If it was a heart attack, wouldn't I have known it by now?
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 04:57 PM   #2
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

could be a number of things.

Anxiety can feel like that. But so can a heart attack.
Dirtymike is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 04:58 PM   #3
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

damm dude, GO TO A DOCTOR!
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 04:59 PM   #4
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoods View Post
Looking to hear from folks that have had a heart attack. I'll preface this post with I know that you are going to tell me if I am asking these questions, just go get checked out. I am going to ask these questions because I don't have insurance and can't afford to pay off med bills for 20 years over something that may be nothing. I am healthy as far as I know with no known health issues. I've only been to the doctor a few times since I was 18 and I'll be 40 in July.

I started feeling really funny before lunch on Friday and got really light headed to the point I thought I was going to pass out a couple of times. It felt like a 200lb man was standing on my chest and I was short of breath and fatigued. This was while sitting at my desk. No pain at that point, just a tightness. I got home that evening and had my wife check my blood pressure a couple of times. First time 158/90... second time an hour later was 132/110. I wasn't feeling the crushing sensation in my chest by then so I blew it off. I was fatigued all weekend and then started having some random intermittent pains in my left shoulder and arm. Not terribly painful but attention getting. It went away so I went to bed. Today at work, the pains came back in my arm and shoulder and now my neck as well. the pain subsided now but my left arm and shoulder has felt asleep for the last 2 hours. I don't feel the pressure in my chest like I did Friday though. If it was a heart attack, wouldn't I have known it by now?
Sound like the same symptoms my dad had with his heart attack, especially the pressure on your chest.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 05:00 PM   #5
eradicator
Pope & Young

acid reflux, anxiety/stress, heart attack, etc

if it's the latter, you may not get a do-over......go to doc
eradicator is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 05:00 PM   #6
ram6256
Eight Point

From a provider point of view, you at least had a cardiac event. Whether angina-warning or the full attack. The 2nd BP is most worrisome as well as the fatigue you have felt. It is not that expensive to get an EKG done to see. A heart attack can still show up and it could have been a partial thickness attack instead of a full thickness or transmural. GET THE EKG done then get help.
ram6256 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 05:04 PM   #7
texasrazor
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampasas, Encinal

From someone who has had a heart attack, Get in the car and have you wife to the ER.
This is not something to gamble on.
texasrazor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 05:05 PM   #8
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

My buddy, relatively healthy at 40 y/0 felt like you. Went to the dr and 3 hours was having quadruple bypass.
We run on dead people on their 40's all the time
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 05:09 PM   #9
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

Been through this before and rest assured it's cheaper to get checked out than to have an emergency event. Please don't put it off another minute. The clock is ticking. Do this for your family and loved ones if not for yourself.
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 05:11 PM   #10
MisplacedTexan
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb and Milam Counties, St. Tammany Parish

I would definately go get checked out. Not everyone has the same symptoms. Heart attacks are occurring to younger and younger people these days.

My symptoms werent any of the above until it was almost too late. I waited an extra day to do something about it and was lucky as you can get.

I had throbbing sensations in my teeth/jaw and then later the pressure on the chest and difficulty in beathing. Drove myself to the ER (not suppoesed to do, call ems), walked in to the ER and the next thing I knew, getting stripped down and rushed into surgery.

Go get checked out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
MisplacedTexan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 05:12 PM   #11
MisplacedTexan
Four Point

Hunt In: Webb and Milam Counties, St. Tammany Parish

By the way, age 46 at the time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
MisplacedTexan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 05:15 PM   #12
Legdog
Pope & Young

Your symptoms read like a google list for a heart attack.

You could have had a mild myocardial infarction with the next one being more problematic.

Definitely time to get the EKG to see if there's any blockage in the coronary arteries or damage.

Aspirin is the immediate treatment but you need to move on this. It's time critical.
Legdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 05:15 PM   #13
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

Go to the freakin' doctor, Josh!!!! Many people never get the opportunity to have a 2nd heart attack. Don't mess around. Go get checked out tonight. Nothing you have going on at work is as important as your well-being.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 05:18 PM   #14
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Around ten years ago I had very similar issues. I was running 5 K’s, half marathons, and working out five days a week. No way I was having a heart attack. But, I knew my dad’s side has a tendency for heart disease. Went straight to dr’s office, stress test, and 24 hours later a stint was installed. Sure enough heart attack. Right artery blocked 90% and left 40%. Don’t mess around.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 05:18 PM   #15
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

Rather than a $100K+ visit to the hospital, go to your doctor tomorrow and get checked out.
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 05:20 PM   #16
JayB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass County

You may have a blockage which can lead to the death of the heart tissue (heart attack) They can tell in the ER if you are having an onset or if the event has happened and you are on the backside. Either way, a blockage needs to be cleared or you risk stroke, heart attack or cardiac arrest. These things do not get played with. The elevated BP is a sign that should not be ignored.

Report back when you get to the ER and the have run the EKG, XRay and drawn the 1 st blood sample.

Until then, get the wife to drive ya, NOW!
JayB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 05:26 PM   #17
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

I know you said you wanted other replies besides go get it checked out.
But really, go get it checked out, you had a heart event
Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 05:27 PM   #18
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

I've had 3 possibly 4. Get yo azz to the ER now!
The symptoms you just described are exactly what I felt on the night of OCT 19th 1989.
If I hadn't gone to the ER I would not be sitting here typing this. Last time I was shoveling dirt in the backyard 4 years ago. Felt like someone had put a 100lb weight on my shoulders and neck. No chest pain but I knew what it was. Bam! I got another stint put in. I was 43 years old the first time and I'll be 73 in June. By going to the ER immediately I have cheated the devil out of close to 30 years. You can do the same.
MOVE IT Bucko! And start taking asprin asap

Last edited by muzzlebrake; 04-29-2019 at 05:31 PM.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 05:31 PM   #19
Ilik2hunt
Four Point

I had my first one at 41, had all those symptoms you described for a couple months and then I was at work one day and knew there was something wrong. I left work at my lunch break and the next morning I was having a quadruple bypass. I was not over weight, didn't smoke,very active,Don't mean to sound like your parent but you need to go to the doctor.
Ilik2hunt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 05:37 PM   #20
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

My last heart attack I came in the house and put two Aspirin under my tongue and let them dissolve and swallowed them down with tap water. Got someone to drive me to the ER. Doctor said the Aspirin probably saved my life as I had 100% blockage in one artery and 90% on another.
Start taking aspirin now and drink plenty of water. No caffeine.

Did anybody mention get yo azz to the hospital now?
No ER can refuse to see you. Insurance or not.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 05:40 PM   #21
Bigfootwolff
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anderson County, Colorado County

Take it from someone who was relative healthy and running several miles a day, and the out of the blue I started having the horrible chest pains you described. I thought it was just stress b/c it happened at work. After it continuing of and on periodically for a few days I went to my general practitioner and he did an EKG, checked blood pressure, and listened to my heart. He said I had not had a heart attack, and everything seemed ok, but he referred me to a cardiologist just to be safe. Cardiologist did another EKG and sonogram, and saw no abnormalities, but wanted a stress test done to be certain, especially since I had a little shortness of breath. Stress test revealed a likely blockage and he had me in the heart cath lab quickly. Turned out one of the main arteries to my heart was 95 percent clogged and I would likely have had the “widow maker” heart attack had I not gotten help soon. I ended up having a stent placed, and I was a new man overnight. Take it from someone who was initially stubborn about going in b/c I assumed it could not be happening to me. Please get into a doctor and/or inquire about getting some medical insurance ASAP. Your family needs you to do so.
Bigfootwolff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 05:43 PM   #22
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

The common denominator seems to be work.

Donít go to work problem solved.

My bill will be in the mail.

In all seriousness, go to the freaking doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 05:46 PM   #23
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

if you don't have health insurance, i hope you have life insurance.

and i mean this in the most polite and direct way i can say it.

EKG shouldn't be that expensive.
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 05:47 PM   #24
Jcjohnson
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

no one in their right Mind would tell you should walk this off. Heart attacks don’t always present with the same symptoms but you my friend have several that suggest you have or had some sort of cardiac event. I know it’s expensive with out insurance but what’s your life/ quality of life worth to you? Please see a doc.
Jcjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 05:56 PM   #25
Bluesman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Retired Bowhunter

12 years ago.
Get the EKG and blood test done at this very moment. The reason I mention blood test is that my EKG was fine. The heart in trouble puts out a couple of enzymes that they identify with heart attack.
More of a warning than a request.

Last edited by Bluesman; 04-29-2019 at 06:21 PM.
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 06:08 PM   #26
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

As stated above, you dont have to go to hospital for EKG. I dont know know if all Dr office have them, but many do. Can do during a regular dr visit. My opinion is take asprin imediately. Schedule Dr visit asap. But honestly, I would probably go to Urgent Care Clinic or ER. Some things arent worth the risk.
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 06:13 PM   #27
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

I'd rather be around to pay off medical bills for 20 years than not.. Time to go get checked..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 06:20 PM   #28
Z7X
Ten Point

Hunt In: Moving to Kansas so hopefully there

I wish my dad had gone to the doctor.
Z7X is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 06:22 PM   #29
alec73065
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction & Lampasas

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrazor View Post
From someone who has had a heart attack, Get in the car and have you wife to the ER.
This is not something to gamble on.
X 1000 , my heart attack last year had symptoms very similar as yours . My jaw hurt the night before like someone had repeatedly punched me. I had two blockages and had two stents put in. They can check for troponin in your blood to see if you are having a cardiac event. Tell them you donít have insurance, I am sure they can help someway. I would not ignore it after now having gone through it !! I was complaining the entire time I was in the ER that I was crazy and what a waste of time and money , until they came back and said we are prepping you immediately for the cath lab!!
alec73065 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 06:22 PM   #30
justletmein
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public lands

I'm one of those guys who literally won't go near a doc unless I actually honestly think I am going to die, and I think if I were in your shoes I'd go to the doc. Sign up for Obamacare or something man, don't make us have to post a RIP thread and fundraiser for your funeral.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 06:32 PM   #31
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

Medishare $100/month! I pay $20/month on my sons doctor bills, you can do that! Go see a doctor!
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 06:44 PM   #32
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

Had a friend that was in good shape, mid 40s, like many have mentioned above. Had all those same symptoms and wrote it off as heart burn, stress, etc for a day or two. Died in the boat duck hunting two days later. Don’t chance it.
Razrbk89 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 06:44 PM   #33
Huntingfool
Six Point

I am sorry but to put out a post like this is silly. So you think a hunting forum is going to answer you medical questions? C'mon Man go to your doctor
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 06:47 PM   #34
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Double post.

Last edited by Burnadell; 04-29-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 06:48 PM   #35
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoods View Post

Uh, well, YES!!! You have had a heart attack!!! They can check your blood enzymes to determine if you had one, but I will bet a steak dinner against your life that you had a heart attack!

I'm hoping you are at the hospital right now!
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 06:50 PM   #36
kornsqueezer
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Went for a stress test in 2012. Lost my vision temporarily while on treadmill. Diagnosis was needing a stent. I had heart cath next day. Blockage wasn’t bad enough to get stent. Next day had a triple bypass. I had the widow maker. 90% don’t make it. Get to the doctor. My blood pressure was 210/105. GET TO THE DOCTOR!!!!! Sounds like you have a blockage.
kornsqueezer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 06:51 PM   #37
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingfool View Post
I am sorry but to put out a post like this is silly. So you think a hunting forum is going to answer you medical questions? C'mon Man go to your doctor
I'm insulted by your insinuation that we're not capable providers of medical advice. We can also tell you what's the best slime for your ATV tires, the best bow shop in any given town, the most popular CPA in Central Texas or the best way to hang a deer. We literally know everything. Everything.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 06:52 PM   #38
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

Man, I'll tell ya this. I had a friend that had almost the same symptoms for 3 days. He thought he was just sore because he'd been cutting firewood for a couple days. He was about 40 at the time. He didn't have health insurance either. One the 3rd day he had a heart attack trying to drive to the hospital and died. I watched him take his last breaths. I'd go to the ER and worry about the bills later.
CRM_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 06:55 PM   #39
Drop Tine
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere and anything legal

Well that escalated quickly. Those symptoms are nothing to gamble on. I’d be at the nearest urgent care or ER if it were me.
Drop Tine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 07:18 PM   #40
Huntingfool
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
I'm insulted by your insinuation that we're not capable providers of medical advice. We can also tell you what's the best slime for your ATV tires, the best bow shop in any given town, the most popular CPA in Central Texas or the best way to hang a deer. We literally know everything. Everything.
yeah I do not like making light of a persons medical condition but come on! What the hell are people thinking nowdays??? Get your butt to a doctor - it is your life you are posting about - geez
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 07:18 PM   #41
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion, Webb, counties

Please go to the Doctor!
Mertzon Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 07:23 PM   #42
PYBUCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Upton County

Go to a doctor and sign up for some term life insurance. Peace of mind for you on both accounts
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 07:29 PM   #43
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Hopefully he’s taken the advice & is there as we speak. I agree I wouldn’t let this linger
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 07:31 PM   #44
Calrob
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burnet, Joppa, Wilco, My backyard

My dad recently had 4 heart attacks. One was severe. He only went to the hospital for the last one.... he died. Ya may wanna catch it before that....
Calrob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 07:34 PM   #45
Calrob
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burnet, Joppa, Wilco, My backyard

But then again, I also knew a guy that used to drive himself to the hospital when he was having a heart attack.... he also died on i10 in houston... so, theres that....
Calrob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 07:46 PM   #46
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Well 100 percent said go that's pretty high. One older gentleman on here said he would bet you a steak dinner that had a heart attack. I would listen to him.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 07:48 PM   #47
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Pay for a dr visit or funeral Go go the dang dr.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 08:00 PM   #48
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Brotha, Atleast stop by your local fire station and let them run a 12 lead on you. That wonít cost you a dime.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 08:02 PM   #49
Terry
Ten Point

Heart event,
Terry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2019, 08:04 PM   #50
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Go to your doc. I had similar issues, and am pretty active but scared me pretty bad. I got all tingly as well and started feeling numb in my arms and legs. I almost passed out in the shower and my wife was waiting on my go ahead to make a call. Went finally 3 days later cause I still didn'tfeel right and felt short of breath. They said it was anxiety but honestly I didn't feel like an anxious person and I still kinda had chest pain so they went ahead and did my bloodwork and EKG which all came out fine. I asked them about my chest pain and they said I could be tricking myself. Dunno that I buy that but I've been running and hunting n all still. I'd rather keep going havinch checked with a doc than not at all.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top