Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #1
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tamplias Chiwawa, Mejico
Default New lease and rules

A buddy of mine is on a lease 28 miles SE of Ozona. He called me last week and said they had 2 spots open and asked if I might be interested. I love that part of the world and I know they shoot some decent bucks. Here are some of the rules and some I have had in the past and some are new to me:

8 spots at 2300 a gun. The lease boss seemed honest and said the other 7 hunters pay his spot which he figures in to the total for him taking care of the place.

Each hunter has approx 400 acres to himself, one feeder one blind, must feed protein March to August.

Bow hunting allowed, most are rifle hunters. But October till the end of the regular season. Off season only to feed, no turkey hunting and night hunting.

Community blinds. If you are there then your spot is your spot. If you are not there then others can hunt it and take what they want.

Immediate family can hunt off your allotment (5 deer county). 2 of the guys have their sons hunting with them that do not live in the household. The lease boss has a 23 yr old that goes to ASU (and works) and another son who lives in the area. Another lease guy has his BIL that joins him all the time. They are pretty much regulars on any given weekend. 2 spots are paid for and the lease boss also had a kid in HS that goes out at times. So a total of 6 off 2 paid spots.

I asked my buddy how he felt about community blinds and he said he was ok with it but took some getting use to. My other hang up was 3 adult males not living in the household but sharing spots with two paid hunters.

Maybe it's the norm now a days but it sure seems the 2 paying spots are getting a heck of a deal with grown men. Not sure about community blinds either. Most places are individual and no one else can hunt it.

So is this the norm? BTW I told him no thanks. I can somewhat see why 2 spots opened up.
CrookedArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 04:04 PM   #2
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Sounds like its not the lease for you and dont force it to be.
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 04:04 PM   #3
Walker
Ten Point

Sharing a spot is objectional but not a deal breaker, but the lease manager sharing his no cash spot is a deal breaker.
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Depends on what you are looking for. My last lease was like that. Take whoever you want. Didn't bother me.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 04:10 PM   #5
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I think you made a wise choice! The Lease Boss might have the appearance of being honest, but with everything he is getting and doing for not having to pay a lease fee is just scratching the surface with regards to his activities on the place.
Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #6
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

So between the lease manager and his buddy, they cover all the blinds when no one is there? I don't think so. 400 acres and only 1 blind you can hunt, naw! I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 04:14 PM   #7
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook

Sounds like lease boss is having his cake with icing and some milk to boot
elliscountyhog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 04:14 PM   #8
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

I can bring guests that hunt off my tag. But, only one guest per weekend. Age and relationship of guest shouldn't matter imo. But it sounds like the paid hunters on this lease have multiple guests per weekend. That wouldn't be cool.

I prefer community blinds so i don't have to look at the same brush and animals each hunt.

As you describe it, this would not be a lease i'd be interested in.
mikemorvan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 04:14 PM   #9
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Nope!
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 04:14 PM   #10
dfkoon
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady / Hagermann when lucky

Nothing you stated really bothers me that much as long as it is a good group. Does it matter if 5 guys shoot 5 deer or 1 guy shoots 5 deer. I have a son in college that doesn't have time to hunt. But taking him as an option would be nice. Or another buddy or bil for that matter.

Lease boss not paying isn't a deal breaker. Though sometimes I think if they have cash in the game it is more like a lease and less like a business for him.

I prefer ladder stands, tripods and popups to Cadillac blinds or condos. But never bothered me if I let someone hunt. Folks though may prefer the blinds/condos.

I do like year round access and opportunity to hunt either pigs or varmits in the off season. That and the drive would be the big drawbacks to me.
dfkoon is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 04:19 PM   #11
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
So between the lease manager and his buddy, they cover all the blinds when no one is there? I don't think so. 400 acres and only 1 blind you can hunt, naw! I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole.
Thats kinda the way I took it. They all live pretty close and are there most weekends. I guess to me "immediate family" means in YOUR household. My wife has hunted with me, but yeah she lives with me. I am ok with lease guys and their kids that are young going out. Some places I have looked at Under the age of 18 was the cut off.

Just seems like 5 spots but only 2 paying. Then again if they are going by the rules it should be no ore than 10 total deer. But how will the other paying members numbers be if they are out all the time?

Never been in a situation like that but I assume the rest of the group is ok with it or they don't know??
Old 02-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #12
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada

If you were hunting your own stand I could deal with it, but not community blinds. Iíve spent years and lots of $$ improving my spots. Not a lot of motivation to do that in a communist system. If close friends already it could work, not on a big lease. My 2 cents.
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 04:22 PM   #13
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Hunters payin for the lease boss is crazy. Unless hes keeping batteries and feed in my feeders all year. Not to mention bringing 3 more for free.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 04:22 PM   #14
Paycheck
Six Point

We share blinds after Thanksgiving. Don't think I like the rest if the rules.
Paycheck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 04:23 PM   #15
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliscountyhog View Post
Sounds like lease boss is having his cake with icing and some milk to boot
Talked to few others and I honestly never thought a bunch of leases in this area the lease boss jacks the price up to pay for his spot. I guess if you want on it doesn't matter but being a lease boss must be an awful headache with the wrong group. Hence pay my spot.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:27 PM   #16
Huntsman27
Six Point

Hunt In: Brownwood, TX

I know some places the lease manager/boss doesn't pay but that always bothers me just a little although I am sure it can be justified in some cases. I manage our lease and everything is community and all common expenses (lease fee, feeders, feed, stands, electricity, water etc) are shared equally as is the work. We are all close friends and co-workers so this works for us. As a lease manager I just don't think I do enough to warrant the others paying my spot. I guess my only responsibilities are to to act as go between the members and land owner, collect fees & pay land owner, resolve any issues that may arise and insure members are reimbursed for their expenses by the rest of us.

What do other lease managers do that warrants their spot being paid by the membership?
Huntsman27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 04:32 PM   #17
HotRod Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land and have a lease in Huntsville thats only good for riding four wheelers and camping

6 adults hunting off of 2 spots . As long as they are limited to the same allotment per paid spot . You should be able to do the same if the occasion arises
HotRod Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 04:33 PM   #18
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman27 View Post
I know some places the lease manager/boss doesn't pay but that always bothers me just a little although I am sure it can be justified in some cases. I manage our lease and everything is community and all common expenses (lease fee, feeders, feed, stands, electricity, water etc) are shared equally as is the work. We are all close friends and co-workers so this works for us. As a lease manager I just don't think I do enough to warrant the others paying my spot. I guess my only responsibilities are to to act as go between the members and land owner, collect fees & pay land owner, resolve any issues that may arise and insure members are reimbursed for their expenses by the rest of us.

What do other lease managers do that warrants their spot being paid by the membership?

I had a guy on another forum threaten me with death when I brought up others paying his dues and the justification behind it. They are in South Texas so I am sure it isn't a 2-3 Gs lease but lots more.

I don't know maybe some can chime in as lease bosses and clarify. But again if you want on the lease how or who gets paid is not the issue I guess.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:33 PM   #19
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SW of Dallas

Gonna guess that all of those guests don't have to hunt with the paying member either?? If not it's not truly a 8 hunter lease. IMO guests need to hunt with paying member especially on a community blind deal.
TexasCanesFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #20
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod Hunter View Post
6 adults hunting off of 2 spots . As long as they are limited to the same allotment per paid spot . You should be able to do the same if the occasion arises
Helll dude I am Mexican. Do you really know how many familia I could put on a lease if it was open invite?
Old 02-08-2019, 04:59 PM   #21
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

I'd pass on a place like that . With them living close I'd bet way more deer come off that place than what's reported..
jds247 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 05:15 PM   #22
deerwatcher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

Paying part or all of the lease boss's is not a deal breaker to me but all the extra hunters not paying anything would be a deal breaker for me.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 05:30 PM   #23
Tx.Fisher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr, Gaines

Nope, nope, nope. Mid to early 20’s men should be paying for their own spots, not bumming off of other people. I wouldn’t like letting anyone sit and kill whatever out of my stand if I’m not there either.
Tx.Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 05:36 PM   #24
kmitchl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co

Sounds like a lot of non revenue hunting traffic that you would be supporting. Would not work for me.
kmitchl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 05:38 PM   #25
Crazy Horse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Hunters payin for the lease boss is crazy. Unless hes keeping batteries and feed in my feeders all year. Not to mention bringing 3 more for free.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
yep...you're not paying for the lease boss, you're paying for the lease boss +2 (or +3 or +4 or +5...)

as soon as I saw "Community blinds" I knew there would be a catch...
while they might be great for some folks, they have never worked out for me...
as soon as I see "Community blinds" in an ad, I move on...
Crazy Horse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 05:53 PM   #26
Hunting4fun
Six Point

As someone else said If the guests HAD to sit with the Paying member it may be OK. But you know that isn't the case.
I can guarantee you that every single Weekend or Holiday you aren't there there is someone in your blind. Since you pay for the lease boss and another guy brings his 2 sons that brings the total to 6 adult hunters for 1 paid spot. Is that right?
Hunting4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 05:55 PM   #27
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

You lost me at shared blinds.

And when did in-laws become immediate family?

Kiddos under 18 bring anytime you want. And if they are in trade school or college bring all you want as well. But once they are on their own and into their career, they can come a few times as a guest, they hunt your blind, and there needs to be a limit on how many times they can come.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 06:02 PM   #28
-HIC-
Ten Point

Hunt In: Willow City & Junction

I prefer community blinds. I hate the same scenery on every hunt. On the Junction property, we have 16 stands with 12 members and will be adding some bow friendly spots this upcoming work weekend. The only guest policy that seems to work in my experience is any paid member is welcome to bring any 1 guest they want and that guest must be in the same blind with paid member. Any guest harvest comes from paid member allotment. I would laugh if a lease manager wanted us to pay their spot. The feed-store fills all feeders for us and we each get a bill for our share.

On our Fredericksburg place it is pretty much a free for all because we are all family, and after bow season only 1-2 folks may be there on a given weekend.
-HIC- is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 06:08 PM   #29
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

I left a good lease hunting wise due to community stands.
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #30
boy wonder
Ten Point

Hunt In: Albany

Be glad they are honest about the $ and other details.
boy wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 06:31 PM   #31
mexico70
Eight Point

Hunt In: OH Ivie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy wonder View Post
Be glad they are honest about the $ and other details.

Yea it may not be for you or me but at least he seemed upfront with how it works. I am a lease boss and would never expect everyone else to pay for my spot . However if you ask me I'd gladly give up my position to any of our members even if they paid my spot. And we have a great group of guys but I can tell you some of childish things I've had to referee over the years ain't worth $5000.00 a year .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mexico70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 06:31 PM   #32
Kdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman27 View Post

I think the more people you have on a deer lease, the more members, the more it justifies the lease manager having his spot paid for. Who gets to go show the ranch when a spot opens up and you bring in someone new? Who enforces the rules when you have people break them? Who deals with the neighbors (and land owner) when their cows break through the fence and start eating everyone's protein. Who negotiates the contract with the land owner? Who goes out and takes the bulldozer operator around when you as a group decide to clear some new roads or fix the existing ones. Who goes to the funeral when the land owner dies? It can be a lot of responsibility and headache. Most go hunting to get away from headaches. Obviously if you are in charge of something the flip side is you get to decide or at least greatly influence how things are done. I think about half of the issues are eliminated with a tight nit group of friends. But that isn't always the case.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:45 PM   #33
SaintBlaise
Four Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

That's exactly the opposite that I look for in a lease. Sounds like a full camp season round...high pressure. Be glad you didn't become a 1/7 donor to that arrangement. I'm ok with family and guest shooting your tags, but I think they should only hunt with the member.
SaintBlaise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 06:46 PM   #34
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedArrow View Post
I had a guy on another forum threaten me with death when I brought up others paying his dues and the justification behind it. They are in South Texas so I am sure it isn't a 2-3 Gs lease but lots more.

I don't know maybe some can chime in as lease bosses and clarify. But again if you want on the lease how or who gets paid is not the issue I guess.
I'm a lease boss and pay exactly what the others pay, I do in return get an extra tag for my troubles. The extra tag consists of a 5 year old deer or older that scores 120 or less which I let my father shoot. So there is a little incentive there, but at times it hasn't been worth a 115 inch deer.
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 06:57 PM   #35
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I would pass on that place for sure. I hunt about 30 miles from Ozona and have a way better lease deal than that.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 07:06 PM   #36
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

You already know the answer!
CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 07:12 PM   #37
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

So someone tell me what "immediate family" means on your lease. To me it's my wife or if I had kids more so under the age of 18 in my household.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:26 PM   #38
Kdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
So someone tell me what "immediate family" means on your lease. To me it's my wife or if I had kids more so under the age of 18 in my household.
I agree. There could also be an exception made for grandchildren. But a grown man should pay for his own spot. Or his dad can pay for his extra spot if he wants. That is just my opinion.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:47 PM   #39
Huntsman27
Six Point

We have very generous guest rules. A leasee can bring spouse, child and their spouse and grandkids regardless of age. Any deer harvested are attributed to the members allotment. Each member is allotted more deer than can be legally harvested in our county by a single hunter. Basically each member is paying for two spots. They can shoot all the deer legally allowed themselves and allow family the rest or they can allow their family to kill all their deer. We only have 4 paying members and we are all very close friends and coworkers. We have ten stands and they are all community. We generally all go to the lease at the same time although any member can go anytime they want.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:58 PM   #40
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Community works well in a situation like that but not always. Too often there are one or two who are slackers and moochers.

Gary
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 08:22 PM   #41
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper county newton county and sabine county

I work shift work . I dont like community stands because I'll most likely show up to the lease as the others are leaving. If my stand was hunted for 3 or 4 days before I was able to be there I'd be ******..
jds247 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 08:32 PM   #42
Huntsman27
Six Point

I agree with the 2 previous comments. Things work for us because we are close friends mostly hunt together and are like minded.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:42 PM   #43
Hoss163
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

The only problem with the community situation on that lease is you are responsible for one feeder well if not everyone on that place doesnít maintain there feeder are blind then they will come hunt yours . The only way community Works is if everyone pays ahead of time for the feed then a few of you are all of you go out and fill the feeders and maintain the blinds!
Hoss163 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 09:08 PM   #44
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:

This ^^^^^^^ is what it means on my leases
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2019, 11:46 PM   #45
ByronB
Ten Point

Quote:
Your question really creates a whole new thread. You will receive various responses none of which are right or wrong. Itís just an opinion. Question....Do you have a child over the age of 18 that enjoys bow hunting? Sounds like you may not have any children based on your statement above. Hear me out and think ahead to your future. Here is my situation and my opinion. I have a 22 year old son at Texas A&M that bow hunts with me maybe three times per year. Two of those times during deer season. One time during the off season...I sit with him and he has access to my deer allotment. For those that say......ĒHe should pay for his own spotĒ......well, there are no spots on the lease available. He hunts three times per year. He doesnít make $4000 per year for a lease. He goes to school full time and has a small part-time gig. I also have a 19 year old Daughter that likes to bow hunt. She hunts once per year. How many 19 year olds do you know that have thier own spot on a nice ranch? As you can tell, I am on the side of.....immediate Family can hunt with you. I also find it funny when folks have a hard fast rule on the age of 18 years old and they donít even have kids. Cracks me up a little. Again....their opinion so no right or wrong. I just do not agree with it. To me rules like that keep youngsters from Bow Hunting. Again, just my two cents. I would rather spend time with my kids in a bow blind than by myself. I am fortunate that I hunt on a Family friendly Bow Hunting Ranch and it works out great for all of the members. All the members bring their kids during the season at some point. We enjoy seeing the kids bring in an animal after a hunt. When my children have full-time careers then they can lease wherever they decide. Until then, I will hunt on places where I can take them. I do hope that you find a place that matches your needs.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-09-2019, 03:21 AM   #46
8pointer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher county

I would have passed
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-09-2019, 07:06 AM   #47
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County

Iím of the idea that paying members should be allowed to bring any guest(s) they want as long as the guests sit in the blind with you and shoot off your allotment.

Multiple blinds filled with non-paying guests is bull hockey, IMO. That just adds hunting pressure to the whole place.
30-30 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-09-2019, 07:20 AM   #48
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronB View Post
Your question really creates a whole new thread. You will receive various responses none of which are right or wrong. Itís just an opinion. Question....Do you have a child over the age of 18 that enjoys bow hunting? Sounds like you may not have any children based on your statement above. Hear me out and think ahead to your future. Here is my situation and my opinion. I have a 22 year old son at Texas A&M that bow hunts with me maybe three times per year. Two of those times during deer season. One time during the off season...I sit with him and he has access to my deer allotment. For those that say......ĒHe should pay for his own spotĒ......well, there are no spots on the lease available. He hunts three times per year. He doesnít make $4000 per year for a lease. He goes to school full time and has a small part-time gig. I also have a 19 year old Daughter that likes to bow hunt. She hunts once per year. How many 19 year olds do you know that have thier own spot on a nice ranch? As you can tell, I am on the side of.....immediate Family can hunt with you. I also find it funny when folks have a hard fast rule on the age of 18 years old and they donít even have kids. Cracks me up a little. Again....their opinion so no right or wrong. I just do not agree with it. To me rules like that keep youngsters from Bow Hunting. Again, just my two cents. I would rather spend time with my kids in a bow blind than by myself. I am fortunate that I hunt on a Family friendly Bow Hunting Ranch and it works out great for all of the members. All the members bring their kids during the season at some point. We enjoy seeing the kids bring in an animal after a hunt. When my children have full-time careers then they can lease wherever they decide. Until then, I will hunt on places where I can take them. I do hope that you find a place that matches your needs.
And yours is some what unique in the amount of times your kids go out. Not very many. These guys sound like they are out all the time at 2 paying members expense. Think of it this other way.

The lease boss is not paying, other members are paying his tab for the title. But he still brings in his 2 grown sons? Sorry, I guess I do have a problem there. That's just me I guess though.

We keep saying all the time "get the kids in the sport". How I see it here is there are 5 grown men, not kids, pretty much mooching off the others. So yes in comparison yours is really not similar imo.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:32 AM   #49
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

Nope not for me.
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-09-2019, 07:35 AM   #50
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgilbert View Post
Nope not for me.
I found a pic of you when you were in motors. I will get a pic and post it on the THF Gilbert. Yeah nothing to do with the thread I know but I saw you lurking. You JD and some others.