Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-13-2018, 09:43 AM   #1
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas
Default Intermittent fasting?

Apparently intermittent fasting and one meal a day diet plans are extremely popular. Does anyone here do it and have you seen better results vs eating many small balanced meals? It seems pretty difficult to me and not worth it.

I gave it a shot yesterday and I lasted about 21 hours of fasting I donít feel bad or anything but I donít think I could do it often. What are your thoughts?
BLACKFINTURKEY is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 09:47 AM   #2
∆theling
Pope & Young

8/16 is the most popular method I have seen but wont try. Eat as much as you want in an 8 hour continuous period. Absolutely nothing but water the other 16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
∆theling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 09:51 AM   #3
zztex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Sweet View Post
8/16 is the most popular method I have seen but wont try. Eat as much as you want in an 8 hour continuous period. Absolutely nothing but water the other 16.

And 8 of that you will be sleeping. Not hard to do
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress, Brady

It's not all that hard to do, as stated a handful of those hours will be spent sleeping.

I did it for a bit and it worked for losing weight but then I got the itch to compete in strongman again so I had to get back on eating small meals every 2 hours.

I did the 8 hour eating window starting with lunch at noon and dinner at 7, cut off at 8. The key is actually still eating clean calories and maintaining a deficit.

There is no miracle diet or program to follow. Losing weight will still always come down to the main thing of calories in are less than calories burned.
ultralite09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

I cut back to one meal a day eating lunch about 2 pm and something light like a half of chicken salad sandwich at supper or nothing at all. I have lost 19 lbs in about 6 weeks and would like to lose 11 more and then maintain that weight thru the holidays and start again after the first of the year. Remember you didn't gain all your weight in a week so it is slow to come off and takes time.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #6
brianlg31
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandale

It really isnít to hard although I have failed miserably lately. Lol

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...2&share_type=t

brianlg31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #7
Chef
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County

I just stick to the 12 hr rule.... Breakfast at 630 then nothing after 630pm except water. That combined with working out has been very helpful for me lately. I'm averaging 2.5 lbs per week weight loss. Two hardest things are staying out of the drive thru and having those couple of beers in the evening.... Its working. I'm down 12 lbs in a month.
Chef is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #8
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

I wouldn’t mind trying it for a while if the results are going to be worth it. My diet has been good lately and I’m sure I’m maintaining a deficit currently. I felt good when I got up this morning after fasting.

I just got done eating breakfast and didn’t feel super hungry but I did eat a solid meal 4 eggs scrambled with 3 strips of diced bacon and 1 cup of fresh spinach. Feeling good right now.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #9
ladrones
Pope & Young

The longest I have done is 72 hrs. After the first day it seemed doable. I would like to try 5 days but I know it will be tough.

I will admit that that fourth morning I felt really good and could have kept going but my mental kept whispering in my ear telling me to eat.

ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 10:10 AM   #10
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

I donít think i could do it. On my fasting days, if I worked out I would be starving.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #11
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acameron52 View Post
I donít think i could do it. On my fasting days, if I worked out I would be starving.
Iím doing a 5x5 routine and I was pretty dead yesterday during my workout. After 5 sets of deadlifts I was pretty wiped out but after my workout I did t feel to hungry.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #12
jbhunting39
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas/Oklahoma

My wife and I coupled intermittent fasting along with a keto diet. Basically cut out all FAKE/PROCESSED foods and sugar or atleast as much as possible. It is not as hard as you think. I fast atleast 2 days a week. 16-18 hours each. Lost over 25lbs in 8 months and it has not came back. My job is pretty active all day and we do The yoga in the afternoon for a workout and stretch. I really think getting rid of all the sugar and eating REAL food is the most important part.

jbhunting39 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 10:40 AM   #13
NxSTexan
Six Point

Intermittent fasting works very well. Aside from the weight loss it encourages autophagy.
Good Hormone levels go up and stabilize and you reduce your Diabetic factors.
If your goal is to lose weight, do it on your non-work out days OR reverse the time table for the fast. Stuff your face with your caloric needs in an 8 hour window before your workout. There's no rule that says you have to fast through breakfast though that is the easiest coming off a sleep cycle. Or change your workout time if possible.
I've done this since February and cycled 45 days of keto every 90 days. I've lost 30 pounds and kept it off and my cholesterol dropped. I've since got to a point where I fast for 36 hours with only coffee once every two weeks. Once your body adjusts the focus and energy on a fast is surprising.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it brother.

NxSTexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #14
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
Apparently intermittent fasting and one meal a day diet plans are extremely popular. Does anyone here do it and have you seen better results vs eating many small balanced meals? It seems pretty difficult to me and not worth it.

I gave it a shot yesterday and I lasted about 21 hours of fasting I donít feel bad or anything but I donít think I could do it often. What are your thoughts?
I don't believe 1 meal a day continuously is healthy for anyone, a doctor will tell you several small meals throughout a day is much better.
Tried fasting one day per week before and I felt better, didn't feel as sluggish. That was sleeping the night before, get up and drink some fluids and not eat anything that day then sometime around 3-4 pm, I would eat. Tended to not eat as much either. Worked for me.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 11:40 AM   #15
Pernell
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.M., East Texas, South Texas

I eat what I want from 7am till 3pm, row 30min a day, 6000 meters, 5 days a week, lost 43lbs so far. This is the easiest way to lose weight for me.
Pernell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #16
BBReezen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Motley, Cottle, Tyler, Jasper counties

If the diet you choose entails losing weight by starving your body so it uses its reserves, your body thinks it is actually starving and tries to replenish those reserves when it finds an abundance of fat again.

Once your body creates a fat storage cell, it never loses it. Your body may use up its contents but that storage cell will always be there for your body to utilize it. Eating right and slowly using up your body’s reserves will make it easier to keep the weight off for long term. If you starve yourself and lose a bunch of weight real quick, your body is going to try to regain what it lost and you will regain that weight a lot easier.

This is why there are so many “diet fads” that come and go. Folks lose a bunch of weight so it catches on with everyone, then they stop and everyone gains the weight back so that “diet” doesn’t work and folks move to the next one.
BBReezen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 11:59 AM   #17
Montec man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hare/Granger, Tx P.S. Theres no deer in Hare

If you want to lose a lot of your lean muscle mass, this is the way to go.
Montec man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 12:00 PM   #18
NxSTexan
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBReezen View Post
If the diet you choose entails losing weight by starving your body so it uses its reserves, your body thinks it is actually starving and tries to replenish those reserves when it finds an abundance of fat again.

Once your body creates a fat storage cell, it never loses it. Your body may use up its contents but that storage cell will always be there for your body to utilize it. Eating right and slowly using up your bodyís reserves will make it easier to keep the weight off for long term. If you starve yourself and lose a bunch of weight real quick, your body is going to try to regain what it lost and you will regain that weight a lot easier.

This is why there are so many ďdiet fadsĒ that come and go. Folks lose a bunch of weight so it catches on with everyone, then they stop and everyone gains the weight back so that ďdietĒ doesnít work and folks move to the next one.

That's not entirely true. Fasting does not mean starving yourself. The concept entails eating the daily caloric intake, only not consuming them all day every couple of hours. The human metabolic system hasn't evolved to consume 300-500 calories every 2-3 hours except for high caloric expenditure. Think athletes and manual labor over long periods. Most of us won't overcome that caloric surplus within that 2-3 hour window and that's when fat cells get created.
The other part of intermittent fasting is consuming the right kind of calories. There's some really eye opening anecdotal evidence that proves your point wrong. Nothing personal. That type of thinking and how we've been taught to eat is what's causing pre-metabolic syndrome and adult onset diabetes. I've been able to keep the 30 pounds off and have improved lipid and hormone levels since I've switched up.
And I've been eating like an idiot in spurts.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #19
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

"Fasting" being >12 straight hours without food-- yes, I shoot for that. I don't get it all the time, but I don't really have weight to lose... it's just about health and taking care of my body. I generally eat small quantities more frequently for those hours that I am eating. Meals are small and broken up more into snacks.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #20
NxSTexan
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montec man View Post
If you want to lose a lot of your lean muscle mass, this is the way to go.

This is true if the type of calories consumed aren't correct. We can agree that Georges St. Pierre is not hurting for lean muscle mass. He's been using the intermittent fasting for some time now to help his digestive issues and has gained muscle and strength in the process.

Old 10-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #21
JimPat
Four Point

a lot of misinformation on here. I - as well - eat "Keto" and do IF (16/8). I am about 12% body fat; don't get hungry; am stronger and healthier than I have been in years and have boundless energy. I started eating Keto to get rid of my high blood pressure and it worked. may not work for everyone...but it worked for me. I then started IF. Again, worked for me. I workout every day during the week and do a combo of high intensity interval training (HIIT) and lifting. Basically, I am in and out of the gym in about 30-40 minutes. My goal is health and long term mobility. 36 years in the Army (retired a couple of years ago) and I am healthier than I have been in a long time. Bloodwork is back to where it was when I was a young Special Forces troop running like a madman. My lean muscle mass has actually increased as my insulin response has gotten better; systemic inflammation has decreased and blood pressure is ideal. Got a bit scared when switching to keto as my cholesterol spiked for a bit (5 months); got to stick to it so your body self-regulates and gets used to the influx of good fats.
JimPat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 04:25 PM   #22
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I know one thing I'm losing weight at a rapid pace right now this long distance bow blind is hot.
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #23
NxSTexan
Six Point

Nice @JimPat! My body doesnít have the wear on it from the service but the years of abuse from playing ball for 23 years is showing up now. Thanks for sharing your experience. Iím a staunch believer in this eating habit and advocate for it when I can. Everything you said is true for me as well.

Old 10-13-2018, 04:29 PM   #24
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

You can do whatever diet you want , BUT can you stay on it forever?
A few years ago I started out at 212 pounds and cut out all sodas, most sugar and no fried foods and watched my portions, plus started working out about 4 to 5 times per week and got down to 167 pounds without much problem. Did I stay that way no, but i stopped working out and did not atch what I ate, BUT I could ro it again and it is domething I could do forever if I could get my mind right and start again. To me a lot of diets are dangerous and very few can stay on them. i do not consider what I did a diet, just cut out fried foods, sodas and watched what I ate snd my portions.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #25
NxSTexan
Six Point

Exactly right @Mudslinger. Itís habit and discipline that are key to success and long term results.

Old 10-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #26
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Having written several research papers on it, and read close to 100 peer reviewed journal articles I will add this. It can be an effective way to lose body fat and maintain lean body mass at the expense of your anabolic hormones such as Test, IGF-1. Your anabolic hormones will drop. The most compliant of all the IF protocols (and there are many) is the Alternate Day Fasting (ADF) where you fast every other day.

Problem with it, is if you drink anything other than water during your fasting period, you break the fast. No coffee, tea, diet sodas...NOTHING but water or you break into feeding mode. Most people break their fast without even thinking about it with fluids.

During an extended fast like 24hr plus, your body goes into an healing phase and begins to remove and rebuild damaged cells according to some evidence.

Last edited by .270; 10-13-2018 at 04:54 PM.
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 05:28 PM   #27
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Intermittent fasting?

I do that twice a day between meals
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 06:55 PM   #28
mdnabors
Ten Point

Hunt In: Weatherford, Kansas, MS

I did it earlier this year and lost ~42#.

I worked my way up to it though. Started with taking food with me to work and doing portion control. I put raw veggies and fruit in snack-size ziplocks so portion was small by default. Also found those P3 Portable snack packs with Meat cubes, cheese cubes, and some nuts. Got me ready for the Keto I added later on with fats and proteins and low carbs. I did these small meals/snacks for a month or so which was way less caloric intake than I did prior and it helped when I started to Intermittent Fasting.

I went pretty hardcore. Did a 3-day cleanse first with liquid drinks 5 times a day (Squeezed Cleanse). Then started the IF. I would not eat past 7pm the night before, wake up and only drink coffee and water until about 12-1pm and it was a light healthy meal, followed by snacks I mentioned above, and a light dinner around 630p. My calorie intake wasn't too much. I even did some 24hr Fasts. It was tough at first but once my body got used to it I would actually have energy and not get hungry. The weight and body fat started melting off and I just felt overall a lot better. I also had motivation from the TBH Weight Loss Competition in which I placed 2nd. I stopped the hardcore IF, but still don't eat breakfast anymore and it helps maintain my weight and I don't eat quite as healthy but keep my weight down I think because my calories are still lower since missing breakfast and sticking to water most all day.

I also use a new supplement that has helped with weight loss and keeps me lean and recovering quickly from workouts. It's been really good!
mdnabors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 07:13 PM   #29
ram04
Six Point

Hunt In: The woods, Val verde/Edwards line

I have done it and works it’s just you better eat enough while in your eating window. I found that I would end up under eating and every couple weeks I would get sore and stay sore with hardly any energy. This is what I feel is my metabolism slowing down trying get normal with the little calories I was eating. Start eating loads and loads of food for a couple days be right back to normal. But I feel very sharp while fasting in the mornings, I just feel I get a better energy filled workout eating small meals through out the day.
ram04 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 07:34 PM   #30
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Loosing weight is easy. Burn off more calories than you take in with good eating habits and some workouts and you will loose weight. Very simple process and not dangerous as some of the diets.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 07:55 PM   #31
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

I’m going to give it a try I’m on day 2 now last meal was at 5. I know today I didn’t eat enough calories and I’m feeling it.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:33 PM   #32
Wampuscat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lake Livingston

My wife has been doing the “fasting thing” for about 3 months. As with everything she does, she overdoes it. She read a book called “Delay, Not Deny” before she started and decided to go with the 5 hour eat time. Not long after starting it, she shifted to a 3 hour eat time. She decided to eat in the evening allowing us to go out for dinner every now and then. She doesn’t do it in cycles either, 7 days a week without fail.
Wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 09:06 PM   #33
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampuscat View Post
My wife has been doing the ďfasting thingĒ for about 3 months. As with everything she does, she overdoes it. She read a book called ďDelay, Not DenyĒ before she started and decided to go with the 5 hour eat time. Not long after starting it, she shifted to a 3 hour eat time. She decided to eat in the evening allowing us to go out for dinner every now and then. She doesnít do it in cycles either, 7 days a week without fail.
Thatís intense...
Old 10-13-2018, 09:24 PM   #34
LegacyArcher
Six Point

Hunt In: Llano, TX

IF is not a magic bullet. I have done it and don't perform well after multiple days of 6 hour feeding windows.

Counting calories > macro ratios > timing

If your wanting to lose weight you will need to be in a deficit. There is no way around this. I suspect that many people lose weight on IF just because they consume less than when they were completely free wheeling.

High protein diets regardless of carb/fat ratios perform better than low protein diets. Experiment a bit with what makes you feel the best. Different folks have very different tolerances and hormonal reactions to carbs... They are not evil but you may do better with less than someone else.

Food timing is less important than the two above.

The most important thing is choosing a sustainable approach to eating to meet your goals. If that is IF and keto then awesome. If it is IIFYM and carb cycling great.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
LegacyArcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 06:08 AM   #35
Wampuscat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lake Livingston

Quote:
Thatís intense...
My wife told me to add that she didnít really show any weight loss for about 3 weeks. Any diet change take a while for your body to shift to it.
Wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 06:25 AM   #36
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

https://www.amazon.com/Living-G-I-Gl.../dp/0761135944

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 11:58 AM   #37
ren087
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

It works very well.
ren087 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 12:03 PM   #38
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

I don't do the fasting thing, but I adjusted my diet by cutting out all sweets and refined sugars. also no triglycerides (bacon, and processed meats); went from 238 to 204 in about 5 months.
stickerpatch59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #39
BitBackShot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Your mind will change as you continue doing it. I don't eat until 11:30 every day and for awhile I thought I was hungry in the a.m., but now the 3 cups of coffee I drink more than hold me through to lunch.

I went from 225 to 208 doing keto and then intermittent fasting and I plan to continue it until I'm at 200.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #40
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitBackShot View Post
Your mind will change as you continue doing it. I don't eat until 11:30 every day and for awhile I thought I was hungry in the a.m., but now the 3 cups of coffee I drink more than hold me through to lunch.

I went from 225 to 208 doing keto and then intermittent fasting and I plan to continue it until I'm at 200.
Iíve already noticed Iím less hungry in the am. Didnít eat until 11 today. Coffee has definitely been holding me over longer. The only side effects Iím feeling and itís probably due to almost zero carbs is feeling weak during workouts.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #41
NxSTexan
Six Point

Quote:
Iíve already noticed Iím less hungry in the am. Didnít eat until 11 today. Coffee has definitely been holding me over longer. The only side effects Iím feeling and itís probably due to almost zero carbs is feeling weak during workouts.

If you're working out, you should eat carbs. Try slow release carbs in a moderate amount, in the range of 30-50g grams. A bowl of oatmeal will do the trick, an hour or 1.5 before workout.

Last edited by NxSTexan; 10-15-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:21 PM   #42
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxSTexan View Post
If you're working out, you should eat carbs.

Iím eating some carbs but very few. Target is under 30 grams per day.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:22 PM   #43
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralite09 View Post
The key is actually still eating clean calories and maintaining a deficit.

There is no miracle diet or program to follow. Losing weight will still always come down to the main thing of calories in are less than calories burned.

BOOM!!!!

Eat less then you burn.

Intermittent fasting...aka fasting and starving yourself. Not rocket science
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 02:23 PM   #44
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitBackShot View Post
Then gain it all back? LOL

Thats the problem, you will gain it back unless you do it full time. It will be just like any other diet, temporary
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #45
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

I'm going on hour number 2 since lunch. I just hope I can make it until supper.
AgHntr10 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #46
NxSTexan
Six Point

Quote:
Iím eating some carbs but very few. Target is under 30 grams per day.

Sorry brother I hit reply before I was done for no reason. That's a good target, 30g. Time it so that becomes your snack or meal before a workout. You'll use that energy during the workout and should kick back into lipolysis.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:35 PM   #47
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxSTexan View Post
Sorry brother I hit reply before I was done for no reason. That's a good target, 30g. Time it so that becomes your snack or meal before a workout. You'll use that energy during the workout and should kick back into lipolysis.

Thatís exactly what Iím going to start doing thanks for the tip!

Old 10-15-2018, 02:36 PM   #48
NxSTexan
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post

Thats the problem, you will gain it back unless you do it full time. It will be just like any other diet, temporary

Not true. Keto or other high far high protein eating helps to change our behavior in food choices. We reach for carbs because they're easy and delicious. Half the battle is the habit breaking and re-forming. It's much easier I've found to stay away from carbs and sugar after I've done keto. Weight is still off even during my week of no rules. I have yet to gain back more than a 2lb fluctuation.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #49
NxSTexan
Six Point

Quote:
Thatís exactly what Iím going to start doing thanks for the tip!

Always brother

Old 10-15-2018, 02:43 PM   #50
BitBackShot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post

You will if you have no discipline, yes.

I haven't gained any back since I stopped doing Keto and intermittent fasting is something you can easily sustain. It's not difficult to do.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top