Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-01-2018, 04:27 PM   #1
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods
Default An east Texas safari.

Wife and I rolled out at 5am and headed east to do some quick feeder fillin. We arrived at our place a little after daylight and proceeded to fill a couple feeders. Another job required the tractor so we were gonna drive thru the pasture to get it. As we rolled thru the gate her and I both looked down a powerline easement.

Since I didn't carry a rifle this trip, naturally there's was 3 pigs roughly 300 yards across the pasture and all I had was a glock 19 and one mag. Why not, let the stalk begin...

I back tracked to the other side of camp to block their view of my approach. This also put the south wind in my favor. I re entered the pasture roughly 70 yards later and realized just how high the grass was. Some of it was 5' tall! Checked the wind and eased a little closer now I'm about 100 yards from where I last saw them.

Closer....and under a pecan tree with signs of fresh rooting I peered into the easement. No pigs. Did they leave?

Close the gap a little more when the grass begins shake back and forth. What is that! ( I suddenly felt like Michael Douglass in ghost and the darkness where he gets stalked by the lions). A glimpse of something furry and the grass shaking gets closer and more violent. Then I can hear grunts. PIGS ARE CLOSE

Then I can see swine! 1,2,3 little piggies with the closer one at about 25 yards and grass shaking in several directions. I Raise my pistol and point toward moving grass but can't see. THEN black death just feet from me and I line the sites up. I figure lead enough and aim at her snout.

POW! the grass is now going nuts and pork is all over the place. Pow,bang,pow, squeal bang. Broad side shots, quartering away, quartering to and head shots.

It was a firefight!!! Luckily I had 16 rounds of hot lead at my disposal.

Once the dust settles and I can hear again I see my trusty tracking k9 Izzy leaping thru the grass.

Quick mag check and we got 5 left. Let's roll. Izz disappears into the woods in the general direction of the first target and isn't gone long before she barks. It's not the normal bark. Wife is now in tow and we run toward the malay. The k9 has located one mad sow in a dry creek bed.

We call the dog back and I'm staring down the barrel at a very unhappy hog. Pow! She took 147 grains like a champ! And ran into a bamboo thicket. Pow pow....slide lock.

Bwannna bring me your tiffany blue glock 43!!

Barking dog, grunting pig and one shot later the beast is dead. Check large game with a pistol off my list.

The pasture of elephant grass, the ditch of death and the 4 pound heavier after death pig. A true where's my camera man moment
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 04:32 PM   #2
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Congrats
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

As Bill Jordan said, "In a gunfight there is no second place winner". Congrats on being the last man standing.....
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 04:45 PM   #4
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

heck yeah, THAT sounds fun!
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 04:48 PM   #5
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

When's the bbq?
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 04:49 PM   #6
kruppa24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Concho

Good story, congrats
kruppa24 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #7
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

so, that was 22 rounds, and one pig?

Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 05:29 PM   #8
Crazy Horse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca County

man...leave it to the po-po to break up a good hood party for no reason...
Crazy Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 05:31 PM   #9
forest-hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sam

Heck yea that was a great write up, Good job man!
forest-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 06:00 PM   #10
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
When's the bbq?
Smoked pork loin tommarow. Grilled fish today
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
so, that was 22 rounds, and one pig?

If I had the gangsta high caps for sure!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Horse View Post
man...leave it to the po-po to break up a good hood party for no reason...
Lol. You've seen that sign...tresspasser will be shot. Survivors will be shot again.

And again!

🤣
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 06:08 PM   #11
kenfa03
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin, Crockett Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Wife and I rolled out at 5am and headed east to do some quick feeder fillin. We arrived at our place a little after daylight and proceeded to fill a couple feeders. Another job required the tractor so we were gonna drive thru the pasture to get it. As we rolled thru the gate her and I both looked down a powerline easement.

Since I didn't carry a rifle this trip, naturally there's was 3 pigs roughly 300 yards across the pasture and all I had was a glock 19 and one mag. Why not, let the stalk begin...

I back tracked to the other side of camp to block their view of my approach. This also put the south wind in my favor. I re entered the pasture roughly 70 yards later and realized just how high the grass was. Some of it was 5' tall! Checked the wind and eased a little closer now I'm about 100 yards from where I last saw them.

Closer....and under a pecan tree with signs of fresh rooting I peered into the easement. No pigs. Did they leave?

Close the gap a little more when the grass begins shake back and forth. What is that! ( I suddenly felt like Michael Douglass in ghost and the darkness where he gets stalked by the lions). A glimpse of something furry and the grass shaking gets closer and more violent. Then I can hear grunts. PIGS ARE CLOSE

Then I can see swine! 1,2,3 little piggies with the closer one at about 25 yards and grass shaking in several directions. I Raise my pistol and point toward moving grass but can't see. THEN black death just feet from me and I line the sites up. I figure lead enough and aim at her snout.

POW! the grass is now going nuts and pork is all over the place. Pow,bang,pow, squeal bang. Broad side shots, quartering away, quartering to and head shots.

It was a firefight!!! Luckily I had 16 rounds of hot lead at my disposal.

Once the dust settles and I can hear again I see my trusty tracking k9 Izzy leaping thru the grass.

Quick mag check and we got 5 left. Let's roll. Izz disappears into the woods in the general direction of the first target and isn't gone long before she barks. It's not the normal bark. Wife is now in tow and we run toward the malay. The k9 has located one mad sow in a dry creek bed.

We call the dog back and I'm staring down the barrel at a very unhappy hog. Pow! She took 147 grains like a champ! And ran into a bamboo thicket. Pow pow....slide lock.

Bwannna bring me your tiffany blue glock 43!!

Barking dog, grunting pig and one shot later the beast is dead. Check large game with a pistol off my list.

The pasture of elephant grass, the ditch of death and the 4 pound heavier after death pig. A true where's my camera man moment

Good job. Ever had chiggers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kenfa03 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 06:25 PM   #12
arrowsmack324
Ten Point

Hunt In: 100% Public

Fun read, sounds like you had some fun! Good job Izzy, she wanted a pork chop I'd say.
arrowsmack324 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 07:14 PM   #13
Reddock18
Four Point

Great story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reddock18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 08:38 PM   #14
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Sounds like a party!
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #15
rosco11
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Great write up.. glad you had fun and got some swine!
rosco11 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top