Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-19-2019, 03:05 PM   #1
trophy8
Pope & Young

Default Valet wrecked my truck. Info needed

I took my wife to a nice hotel in San Antonio. Omni Mokara. For an overnight stay without our daughter. Just a relaxing fun weekend. The room wasn’t cheap at $760 for the package. We arrived yesterday at 230-245pm. Valet took my truck as requested and was included in our package. And I took possession of it again at this morning between 10 and 11 AM. The valet driver motioned me over and showed me where he admitted he hit something as he was pulling it out of their garage. I was nice to him. His manager came over and we spoke. I was nice to him as well and asked how they planned to fix it.

He responds with his boss will need to check the surveillance video to verify who was at fault and then proceed from there. I reminded him that his driver admitted fault. He acknowledged. I am sure they have a procedure they must follow but I did not like hearing the “if” part. I was nice the entire time but on the inside I was furious. I bought the truck new in November. It only has 12k miles on it.

So I have a few questions.

Besides the obvious 100% repairs. Paint. New rim. Everything back to 100%. What else should I expect? I had no issue booking that expensive room. It was a great weekend until then. 1 night at $760. Should I expect to not pay that? (In my mind I don’t think I should simply for the hassle of getting the repairs done and time lost)

My biggest issue is the value depreciation. It’s going to flag body repairs when I do decide to sell it. I’m NOT happy about that. I love the truck and it ticks me off to no end that such a high dollar place did this. I appreciate any feedback. See the pictures below. Taken in front of their building before I took possession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #2
Stan R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison and Colorado County

Did they check the video while you were there?
Stan R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 03:10 PM   #3
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan R View Post
Did they check the video while you were there?
No. He said his supervisor needs to do so. I got both of their names and info and made sure all of that was on camera.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:16 PM   #4
CentexRancher
Ten Point

Sounds like you are handling it well. Its always best to remain calm. I think it would be easiest to ask for the room fee to be refunded. You could ask for them to pay for your down time without the truck if you use it for a living, but they will probably have more incentive to just refund your room. Be nice, but stay on top of them and it will all work out.

Oh and you will be taking your truck to whomever you wish to repair it, no matter the cost. Dont settle on their recommended budget body shop.

Last edited by CentexRancher; 05-19-2019 at 03:18 PM.
CentexRancher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #5
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

That stinks, Matt. It sure wouldn't hurt to ask to be comped for the room cost too. All they can say is no. When you deal with their insurance company, they need to pay for the repairs as well as rent you a comparable truck during the repairs.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 03:19 PM   #6
Greenheadless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

Get it fixed, give them a detailed invoice for the repairs, get paid for repairs. Keep in out of the insurance company's hands. The end.

Mistakes happen, no sense in making a big deal out of it.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #7
trophy8
Pope & Young

I will be nice unless they fight it. Accidents happen. I get it. And he pointed it out and admitted fault. The kid has my respect for that. And I REALLY appreciate it. Screaming at them won’t work for anyone.

I’m really curious about the depreciation of value on the truck. THAT is the part that makes me steaming mad. I’m proud of my truck. I work hard for what I have. And I take care of it. To take a hit on it at no fault of my own is not giving me a good feeling.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #8
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

I'm guessing you will be paying for the room...

Last edited by oktx; 05-19-2019 at 03:25 PM.
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #9
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
I guessing you will be paying for the room...
?
Old 05-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #10
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
I took my wife to a nice hotel in San Antonio. Omni Mokara. For an overnight stay without our daughter. Just a relaxing fun weekend. The room wasn’t cheap at $760 for the package. We arrived yesterday at 230-245pm. Valet took my truck as requested and was included in our package. And I took possession of it again at this morning between 10 and 11 AM. The valet driver motioned me over and showed me where he admitted he hit something as he was pulling it out of their garage. I was nice to him. His manager came over and we spoke. I was nice to him as well and asked how they planned to fix it.

He responds with his boss will need to check the surveillance video to verify who was at fault and then proceed from there. I reminded him that his driver admitted fault. He acknowledged. I am sure they have a procedure they must follow but I did not like hearing the “if” part. I was nice the entire time but on the inside I was furious. I bought the truck new in November. It only has 12k miles on it.

So I have a few questions.

Besides the obvious 100% repairs. Paint. New rim. Everything back to 100%. What else should I expect? I had no issue booking that expensive room. It was a great weekend until then. 1 night at $760. Should I expect to not pay that? (In my mind I don’t think I should simply for the hassle of getting the repairs done and time lost)

My biggest issue is the value depreciation. It’s going to flag body repairs when I do decide to sell it. I’m NOT happy about that. I love the truck and it ticks me off to no end that such a high dollar place did this. I appreciate any feedback. See the pictures below. Taken in front of their building before I took possession.

This
Old 05-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #11
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
This
Yeah. I’m not tracking what you’re saying lol. Maybe you meant to say WONT be paying for the room?
Old 05-19-2019, 03:27 PM   #12
Bci2nd
Six Point

Texas is a diminished value state. Not only are they responsible for the repairs, they are responsible for the loss of value. Before it is repaired take it to a few dealers and ask for a trade in value as is. Then, ask what they would offer pre damage. Thatll give you ballpark of what to ask for in diminished value.

My ‘18 ram was hit in Austin in march. They were at fault (dash cam proven, get one) allstate paid for repairs and wrote me a check for $1900.
Bci2nd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #13
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yeah. I’m not tracking what you’re saying lol. Maybe you meant to say WONT be paying for the room?
I think you WILL have to pay for the room. You can ask, but.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #14
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

They should make it right; however, I would let your insurance deal with the repair procedure and the insurance company will settle with Omni.

Having said that, $760 for 1 night better have come with a spa/massage package, Dinner for two and unlimited drinks and a Bedait in the bathroom
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 03:39 PM   #15
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
I think you WILL have to pay for the room. You can ask, but.
10-4. We will see how that goes. Main focus is the truck.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #16
coker737
Ten Point

Hunt In: My KB Ranch. Rocksprings, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenheadless View Post
Get it fixed, give them a detailed invoice for the repairs, get paid for repairs. Keep in out of the insurance company's hands. The end.

Mistakes happen, no sense in making a big deal out of it.
I disagree. I would contact my Insurance Company ASAP. Best to have the Big Dog if needed.

I trust, but it's too easy to fire the valet and delete the video
coker737 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 03:45 PM   #17
oktx
Pope & Young

Quote:
10-4. We will see how that goes. Main focus is the truck.
I think they fix your pickup 100%. The kid has admitted fault. Right now that kid is getting his *** ripped by his boss for admitting fault. I bet it's not on video. If it's not on video they would fight you tooth and nail had the kid not already said he did it. Good luck!
Old 05-19-2019, 03:46 PM   #18
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
They should make it right; however, I would let your insurance deal with the repair procedure and the insurance company will settle with Omni.

Having said that, $760 for 1 night better have come with a spa/massage package, Dinner for two and unlimited drinks and a Bedait in the bathroom
^^^^ this ^^^^ your insurance company should be your advocate
pilar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 04:14 PM   #19
trophy8
Pope & Young

Turns out the guy that wrecked it and admitted fault was the front desk supervisor.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:19 PM   #20
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Keep the pictures as proof when someone says "diminished value for body work" No way that little bit of damage should cause diminished value IMO.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #21
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffer View Post
Keep the pictures as proof when someone says "diminished value for body work" No way that little bit of damage should cause diminished value IMO.
I hope it doesn’t. But body damage is body damage in my eyes. My truck was spotless when it arrived. Which means it held considerable trade in/resale value. And now, even after the repairs, will have a body damage repair on its record.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #22
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Meh.... It’s a truck. Rub some dirt on it
Bayouboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #23
trophyhunter01
Eight Point

Hunt In: Walker County on the river

Most of those valet services are contracted out and not associated with the hotel as employees, might want to check on that as well.
trophyhunter01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 04:34 PM   #24
Pedernal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Amistad

the valet peeps are covered by the hotel insurance. So, they should fix your truck and pay you any depreciation caused by the damage and subsequent repair. Keep all the paper work and pics for proof when you sell it.

Not sure they will refund the charge for the room.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #25
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post
Meh.... It’s a truck. Rub some dirt on it
Yeah, somebody hit mine in a Walmart parking lot 3 weeks after I bought it. It’s had that dent in the side since 2010. Lol
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #26
Maddox
Ten Point

Talk about timing. I just checked into the Omni Mokara literally 10 minutes ago. Refused to pay them $42 per night for parking so I parked in the city garage 1 block away for $10 per night. I had no desire to let someone else park my truck in these small parking places.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #27
Mrsailfish
Four Point

What does all the fine print on the back of the valet ticket say ?
Mrsailfish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 08:04 PM   #28
Dieselman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coryell

Well the other half a few years back, Backed out of the carport driving her 14 High Country ( backup camera included ) backed into my daughters 08 Silverado both trucks repaired thru insurance. We traded it in for 19 a few weeks back and got what Kelly Blue Book showed for it almost 24K.
Totally shocked and didn’t see any depreciation on it at trade in.

Dieselman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 08:06 PM   #29
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

that's what you get for staying in a flea-bag dump like that!

Have you contacted the hotel management?

It's likely that the valet and the hotel are two separate entities.

Diminished value is unlikely to be very much on those damages, probably sub $1,000, and you probably won't be recovering it unless they accept liability and pay under their insurance. You can always just file a small claim suit against the valet and the hotel and let their attorney work out a settlement with you.

You can also file with your carrier, but some will mark it as an at-fault accident which will affect your rates going forward, since you gave them permission to drive your vehicle.
Atfulldraw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 08:08 PM   #30
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atfulldraw View Post
that's what you get for staying in a flea-bag dump like that!

Have you contacted the hotel management?

It's likely that the valet and the hotel are two separate entities.

Diminished value is unlikely to be very much on those damages, probably sub $1,000, and you won't be recovering it unless they accept liability and pay under their insurance.

You can always file with your carrier, but some will mark it as an at-fault accident which will affect your rates going forward, since you gave them permission to drive your vehicle.
Yes I have. Spoke with them when I got home. Supposed to speak with the director tomorrow to follow up with their insurance. They confirmed the names and who was responsible again this evening just to ease my mind. I think it’ll be fine.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:35 PM   #31
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Did any of the electronics start working again?
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 08:49 PM   #32
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

I’d try to Paintless dent that repair if possible
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 08:52 PM   #33
kae006
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Wyoming

I’d pay the room as they are two separate things and the room was to your satisfaction as you said. Get the truck fixed and ask your insurance what to expect for a diminished value claim, then get the hotel to pay that too. They should also cover a like-rental during the repairs.
kae006 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 08:53 PM   #34
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Did any of the electronics start working again?
Lmao!! Was wondering how long it was gonna take!!
Old 05-19-2019, 09:02 PM   #35
Raider Power
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I get invited

Quote:
Yes I have. Spoke with them when I got home. Supposed to speak with the director tomorrow to follow up with their insurance. They confirmed the names and who was responsible again this evening just to ease my mind. I think it’ll be fine.
Glad to hear it Matt, sounds like they’re stepping up and addressing the issue the way they should.
Raider Power is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 09:17 PM   #36
Horn chaser
Ten Point

Depending on where you take your truck to be repaired it may or may not show up on Carfax when you sell it. Either way that damage is very minor and easily fixable. A new rim and basic body work on the fender. Unless the repair shop you take it to is crappy you will never be able to see where the damage was at. I wouldn't lose a bit of sleep worrying about value depreciating on your truck after repair. It also sounds like they will take care of it for you. They still have to go through the motion of reviewing video for their insurance just to make sure it wasn't damaged when you came in or if they have clear video of damage occurring. Not a bid deal in the least every big business does this on any type of claim turned in to them.
Horn chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 09:20 PM   #37
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn chaser View Post
Depending on where you take your truck to be repaired it may or may not show up on Carfax when you sell it. Either way that damage is very minor and easily fixable. A new rim and basic body work on the fender. Unless the repair shop you take it to is crappy you will never be able to see where the damage was at. I wouldn't lose a bit of sleep worrying about value depreciating on your truck after repair. It also sounds like they will take care of it for you. They still have to go through the motion of reviewing video for their insurance just to make sure it wasn't damaged when you came in or if they have clear video of damage occurring. Not a bid deal in the least every big business does this on any type of claim turned in to them.
That’s what they explained to me this evening. I don’t blame them a bit. I plan on having my local Chevy dealership do the repairs.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:28 PM   #38
Edward F
Ten Point

Hunt In: Georgetown, Granger and Ozona

That sucks but accidents do happen. Glad the valet driver had a “man up” attitude and told you about his mistake. Spending that much on a hotel package your experience deserves to be 100% from A-Z. I’d start with talking to the hotel manager and go higher if you need to about comp for the room. If you didn’t stay there this wouldn’t of happened.
Edward F is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 09:57 PM   #39
Hoss163
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

It’s broke in now so you can take it off road on your Hunting lease now 😉
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 10:17 PM   #40
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

You can thank the valet guy for the first whiskey dent, won’t bother you moving forward rubbing Texas pin stripes from bumper to bumper. It does suck having something like this happen at 12,000 miles, but I also never expect a return on a truck.
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 10:22 PM   #41
jaime1982
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co & anywhere I can

Is it a Chevy lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
jaime1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 10:23 PM   #42
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime1982 View Post
Is it a Chevy lol

Square wheel wells give it away? If it was an aluminum ford the whole side would be gone!!
Old 05-19-2019, 10:30 PM   #43
jaime1982
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co & anywhere I can

Quote:
Square wheel wells give it away? If it was an aluminum ford the whole side would be gone!!
Probably be total loss if it was a Ford.

Hope it works out, sounds like you got all your ducks in a row.

jaime1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 10:31 PM   #44
CEO
Ten Point

I wouldn't ask for or take a room comp. My luck they would say that was the agreed upon compensation when it came time to pay for the truck repair.
CEO is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 10:56 PM   #45
Bci2nd
Six Point

Quote:
I hope it doesn’t. But body damage is body damage in my eyes. My truck was spotless when it arrived. Which means it held considerable trade in/resale value. And now, even after the repairs, will have a body damage repair on its record.

Mine was rim and front bumper fascia. Very similar damage just other end of the truck.

Repairs were +/- 2800 including wheel. My diminished value which allstate calculated was 1900.

When you mention DV theyre going to respond that they will repair to pre accident condition relieving them of DV. Its not true. There is no such thing. You might keep the truck til it falls apart, or trade it in next week. Its not worth as much as it was a week ago and they are liable.
Bci2nd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 11:22 PM   #46
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

Jesus, that’s $2000 worth of damage maybe. They’ll fix it, you were happy with the room/hotel/vacation experience other than that. They said they’ll fix it, let them fix it and move on. **** man, there won’t be any “diminished value” claim on some minor fender damage on a truck. People are so sensitive and sue happy these days it makes me sick.

And before you can say “I wasn’t gonna sue, just looking for advice”, that’s bull**** or you wouldn’t have posted on a public forum asking for advice on what you should do after they already said they would try to make it right
texasdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 11:23 PM   #47
TP3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays, Val Verde co

They didn't have any red trucks on the lot or what?
TP3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2019, 11:53 PM   #48
kae006
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
Jesus, that’s $2000 worth of damage maybe. They’ll fix it, you were happy with the room/hotel/vacation experience other than that. They said they’ll fix it, let them fix it and move on. **** man, there won’t be any “diminished value” claim on some minor fender damage on a truck. People are so sensitive and sue happy these days it makes me sick.

And before you can say “I wasn’t gonna sue, just looking for advice”, that’s bull**** or you wouldn’t have posted on a public forum asking for advice on what you should do after they already said they would try to make it right

No diminished value? In what world?

When it goes to the shop it’ll get logged as having damage and to which part of the vehicle, which will show up on a Carfax. Not sure if you’ve ever bought a newer vehicle but “single owner no accidents” is more valuable than “single owner one minor accident”. There’s a reason diminished value claims exist.
kae006 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 12:38 AM   #49
JHT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kae006 View Post
No diminished value? In what world?

When it goes to the shop it’ll get logged as having damage and to which part of the vehicle, which will show up on a Carfax. Not sure if you’ve ever bought a newer vehicle but “single owner no accidents” is more valuable than “single owner one minor accident”. There’s a reason diminished value claims exist.
I have never understood the validity/trust of a Carfax report being even remotely accurate.

This is a scratch on the truck and a dinged up rim. It's a truck not a Ferrari.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 02:03 AM   #50
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

The first scratch is always the hardest. Scratches and dings will be 2nd nature now.
Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top