Leather Knife Sheath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leather Knife Sheath

I thought I would post my latest attempt at making a leather pancake style knife sheath. I went to Tandy leather on Friday and picked up a basket weave and shell stamp and tried tooling for the first time. My next project will be a wallet.
    Attached Files

Looks good

Comment

For those of you that do leather work what leather weight do you use for sheathes?

Comment

Very good !

Comment

Leather Knife Sheath

First attempt at leather work or have you had previous practice? Looks very good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Leather weight for sheaths either 7-8 or 8-9. Both are good solid weights.

Comment

I have made a few sheaths and gun holsters in the past but this is the first attempt at tooling a design.

Comment

Well sir, I'd proudly wear that! Looks very good!

Comment

Originally posted by argel55 View Post
                  Leather weight for sheaths either 7-8 or 8-9. Both are good solid weights.

Good to know, thank you. I think my next one I will step it up to 8-9 to make it feel a little more solid.

Comment

What thread did you use for stitching it? Looks very clean

Comment

Looks very good!!! That's something to be proud of!!

Edges, burnishing and stitching can make or break a piece of leatherwork. You can have perfect tooling, perfect burnishing, perfect fit but if the edges and stitching look like crap, so does everything else. Looks like you knocked it outta the park!

If you've never made a wallet, don't get frustrated. They're a lot more difficult than you think starting out. The premade insides help but are kinda like "cheating". Make sure to leave an open space in the middle where it folds and don't stitch that part to the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
                        What thread did you use for stitching it? Looks very clean

I used a plain white thread from Tandy but it had a lot less wax on it than other threads I have used in the past. The other thing I did this time was use a stitching groover after I stained the leather and that seemed to make the stitching look a lot nicer.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
                          Looks very good!!! That's something to be proud of!!

Edges, burnishing and stitching can make or break a piece of leatherwork. You can have perfect tooling, perfect burnishing, perfect fit but if the edges and stitching look like crap, so does everything else. Looks like you knocked it outta the park!

If you've never made a wallet, don't get frustrated. They're a lot more difficult than you think starting out. The premade insides help but are kinda like "cheating". Make sure to leave an open space in the middle where it folds and don't stitch that part to the inside.

Yes, the wallet will be a challenge for sure. For this first one I am going to make one of those tall “cowboy” wallets so the fold is long and doesn’t actually fold the bills, if that makes sense. That way I don’t have to account for the bend when I make my templates. If it turns out good then I will progress to an actual billfold wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by txsurveyor View Post
                            Yes, the wallet will be a challenge for sure. For this first one I am going to make one of those tall “cowboy” wallets so the fold is long and doesn’t actually fold the bills, if that makes sense. That way I don’t have to account for the bend when I make my templates. If it turns out good then I will progress to an actual billfold wallet.
                            I know the style you're talking about. Sounds like you've thought way ahead of yourself which is good. I've made a couple pipe tally books and they're relatively simple as they only had one flap on each side of the inside. The card slots are what are the most difficult if you're making it 100% from scratch. For the card slots you'll need 2-3oz leather and skive the edges a good ways back to cut down on the bulkiness. I've never made one myself but have watched several how-to videos on youtube and haven't pulled the trigger just yet.

Comment

I’m currently making my first ever leather project, its a knife sheath for my little brothers skinning knife. Would like to try a pancake sheath next, how did you come up with the template? I’ve drawn some up but can’t seem to get the right look or fitment.

Comment

Working...
                              X