Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-02-2019, 08:26 PM   #51
TxSpinner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Lamar and Hill County

I'm going to start applying to the surrounding cities. No more overthinking it.
TxSpinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2019, 08:30 PM   #52
CrookedArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tamplias Chiwawa, Mejico

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSpinner View Post
I wanna hear what cities your applying for, curious.
CrookedArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2019, 09:18 PM   #53
NannySlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:

Good luck and be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NannySlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2019, 09:28 PM   #54
SwampRanger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Batson, Gulf Coast, Wyoming....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedArrow View Post
Company A? You know Rudy Flores former Ranger? Running for constable now. Taught a school a while back on blood splatter has his own company. Dude is cool and very knowledgeable.
I know Rudy well good people .....but thatís blood spatter . He says Shi- splatters, blood spatters...itís all junk science anyway

Last edited by SwampRanger; 04-02-2019 at 09:31 PM.
SwampRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2019, 09:30 PM   #55
SwampRanger
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryRoot View Post
Sorry, Iím a little slow... My wifeís uncle is F.
Whose your F Company Ranger uncle?
Old 04-02-2019, 09:31 PM   #56
IvoryRoot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kerr Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRanger View Post
Whose your F Company Ranger uncle?
Trampass
IvoryRoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2019, 09:32 PM   #57
SwampRanger
Ten Point

Quote:
Trampass
Heís a great one
Old 04-02-2019, 09:32 PM   #58
brysdad
Ten Point

[QUOTE=mww982;14080574]Irving is having a civil service test Saturday, walk-ins welcome. PM for more details, been with the agency for 12 years. [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190403/06ae4a69d770fd89a3a6aa45d91b552e.jpg

I had no idea Irving paid that much. Iíd heard that there is some good pay up that direction though. Fewer folks to fill more positions. As tough as itís gotten, at least pay is improving.
brysdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-02-2019, 09:40 PM   #59
brysdad
Ten Point

Quote:
Trampass
Trampass Gooding or something like that?
Old 04-02-2019, 09:41 PM   #60
IvoryRoot
Eight Point

Quote:
Heís a great one
Thanks
Old 04-02-2019, 09:41 PM   #61
IvoryRoot
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by brysdad View Post
Trampass Gooding or something like that?
Yes sir.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:42 PM   #62
brysdad
Ten Point

Quote:
Yes sir.
I know the name. Sent you a PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:45 PM   #63
IvoryRoot
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by brysdad View Post
I know the name. Sent you a PM.
Replied.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:05 PM   #64
TxSpinner
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mww982 View Post
Irving is having a civil service test Saturday, walk-ins welcome. PM for more details, been with the agency for 12 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pm sent
Old 04-03-2019, 12:14 AM   #65
Pullersboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Erath & Hamilton Counties.

Quote:
Thank you everyone! I'm currently north of Dallas so starting my search in that area. Seems to be a lot of Departments hiring. More or less just worried about the background check but may as well try.
Whatever you do, make ****ED SURE that whatever department you decide to take a job with it is a civil service protected department. That's the very 1st thing you need to find out when considering putting in an application. If it's not civil service protected, don't even put in an application. Just find somewhere else. Fort Worth PD is about to start getting ready to put on an academy class later this year. I've been there almost 14 years. It's a good department with much better pay than most. Plus, in a bigger city like that, there is lots of opportunities to make extra money working special events and contracted security jobs. I usually pull down an extra $35-$40k per year in extra jobs and OT. But, I work alot more than most guys. Plus, with a department that size, there are lots of opportunities to go to specialized units after you've gotten some experience in patrol. Narc, SWAT, Gang, Vice, Criminal Tracking, Fugitive, Special Responce Team, Intel, Neighborhood Police Officer, TacMed, Motors, etc.
Pullersboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2019, 05:33 AM   #66
CWendling
Six Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullersboy View Post
Whatever you do, make ****ED SURE that whatever department you decide to take a job with it is a civil service protected department. That's the very 1st thing you need to find out when considering putting in an application. If it's not civil service protected, don't even put in an application. Just find somewhere else. Fort Worth PD is about to start getting ready to put on an academy class later this year. I've been there almost 14 years. It's a good department with much better pay than most. Plus, in a bigger city like that, there is lots of opportunities to make extra money working special events and contracted security jobs. I usually pull down an extra $35-$40k per year in extra jobs and OT. But, I work alot more than most guys. Plus, with a department that size, there are lots of opportunities to go to specialized units after you've gotten some experience in patrol. Narc, SWAT, Gang, Vice, Criminal Tracking, Fugitive, Special Responce Team, Intel, Neighborhood Police Officer, TacMed, Motors, etc.
I dont know that Id make that a requirement. Our dept isnt (well, its city civil service which really isnt anything). Never bothered me in almost 20 years. Ive seen many times where people get their jobs back because of civil service rules that shouldnt have. There are benefits to it sometimes though if you are on someones s*^t list though I guess
CWendling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2019, 06:48 AM   #67
325to1195
Four Point

Hunt In: Chireno, TX

Ask away, plenty of us on here. 20 years in now, 1 year break in service to work for Houston Fire.... It was waste of time. Went back to police work with a big pay raise, and never looked back.
325to1195 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2019, 07:35 AM   #68
TxSpinner
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325to1195 View Post
Ask away, plenty of us on here. 20 years in now, 1 year break in service to work for Houston Fire.... It was waste of time. Went back to police work with a big pay raise, and never looked back.
Much appreciated. I think I've had all of my main questions answered through hundreds of pm's. Now I'm working on trying to do some ride along's. Also going to try and make it to the Irving event... though I haven't had a weekend off since my vacation in July of 2018.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:41 AM   #69
325to1195
Four Point

Hunt In: Chireno, TX

Good luck to you
325to1195 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2019, 08:30 AM   #70
Pullersboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Erath & Hamilton Counties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWendling View Post
I dont know that Id make that a requirement. Our dept isnt (well, its city civil service which really isnt anything). Never bothered me in almost 20 years. Ive seen many times where people get their jobs back because of civil service rules that shouldnt have. There are benefits to it sometimes though if you are on someones s*^t list though I guess
All it takes, like you said, is to be on someone's Zhit list and your career could be in jeopardy. Also, as you already know, police work isn't pretty sometimes. Get one video out there of you doing exactly what you've been trained to do in a perfectly legal manner, but, it looks bad/ugly on camera and see if you don't lose your career so the city and/or chief can try to safe face in the public eye. It happens every day in this country, Sir. No way would I do this job without civil service protection. But yes, you are correct about the downside being that some folks get to arbitrate and get their job back after they've done something that should have ended their career. I will say, though, that I don't see that at all like I used to. It seems to me that arbitrators are upholding firings more than they did in the past, which is a good thing. But, civil service protection will certainly protect your job if you've been fired for political reasons or because someone just doesn't like you. In today's world, there is no way I'd do this job without civil service protection.
Pullersboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2019, 09:38 AM   #71
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
I know Rudy well good people .....but thatís blood spatter . He says Shi- splatters, blood spatters...itís all junk science anyway
Junk science?

Sandra Melgar says hi

And Rudy is a good dude. But Nick makes me laugh much more

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWendling View Post
Youre last sentence is the EXACT reason you should want it. We have a deputy who was fired a month or so ago. It was a complete BS deal and he will get his job back via civil service. Once that happens I hope he sues the pants off everybody involved!
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2019, 11:58 AM   #72
txbassnaholic
Six Point

BE A FIREFIGHTER OR GO TO THE FEDS! that's my 2 cents worth.
txbassnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 05:21 AM   #73
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

If relocating is not a big deal look into DPS as well. LOTS of opportunities within the department and a wealth of contacts and resources. I have worked with and learned from several of their investigators and Rangers. One of the Rangers just moved into our office And always available for help.
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2019, 08:23 PM   #74
wow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, and any where im invited

30 years and 3 federal BS lawsuits. 1 lasted 3 years. But I loved it.
wow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2019, 10:26 PM   #75
chicken fried
Six Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings,TX

Itís been a good 26 years at fourth largest PD in the country. All but 7 seven years, Iíve been in specialized units and team environment. Things to look for in in an agency: civil service, medium to large agency, and retirement system. The big cities and counties are liberal and if they arenít, they will be. Youíll have Tuesday Wednesday off and work all the holidays. Youíll come across some negative people but you will meet some of the best people also. Itís not as fun as used to be but thatís my perspective. Stay positive and do if you want too. Good luck!
chicken fried is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2019, 01:11 PM   #76
ON THE EDGE
Ten Point

Hunt In: Banquete, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMax View Post
If youíre torn between being a hose dragger or the popo, The truth is, the smoke eating pretty boys are winning. They get to watch tv, sleep, wear their comfy clothes, play video games and cook at work. They are reactive only and are not expected to be proactive. They literally donít have to work (I donít consider cleaning and washing trucks actually working in a public safety profession) until the bell goes off and THEN they have to dawn their hot uncomfortable protective clothing. We have to be out their patrolling for an entire shift.

With that being said I would never be a hose jockey.

As the popo, you have a lot more pressure. Youíll wear that uncomfortable protective clothing for a 12 hour shift, and it only protects your vitals from GUNFIRE, but not all gunfire. People give you crap for stopping and grabbing something to eat at a convenience store because you should be out ďprotecting.Ē Sure, occasionally youíll make a difference but not very often.

If you want the glory, be a hose monkey. They are the ones wearing their ďlook Iím a firemanĒ shirts alongside their wives who are wearing their ďlook my husband is a firemanĒ shirts when off duty. Cops donít do that.

If you can go through the day without being told thanks and be happy with the work you did with no affirmation, be the police. We, the police, are the real FIRST responders. I would not trade my career, I love being the police.
You watch too much Chicago Fire.

Good luck in your pursuits! Some great advice offered here.
ON THE EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2019, 05:38 PM   #77
UltraMax
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ON THE EDGE View Post
You watch too much Chicago Fire.

Good luck in your pursuits! Some great advice offered here.
Never have and never will watch a fireman show. Just my own observations from seeing hose monkeys doing their thing, nothing.
UltraMax is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top