Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-09-2019, 08:26 AM   #51
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Canada

Bryon B - your college aged kids would fall more under a "guest" category to me. It really just depends on how a group (or landowner/ramrod) wants to do it. There is no right or wrong way.
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #52
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Community stands are the only way to go in my opinion. I don’t pay to lease 5K acres to only ever get to hunt 500 of it. The whole “that’s my deer” way of thinking kills me.
Acameron52 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #53
NAVY CHIEF
Ten Point

Hunt In: GRANGER LAKE, TX 25 YEARS/COLORADO 3 YEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliscountyhog View Post
Sounds like lease boss is having his cake with icing and some milk to boot
This. No way I would be on this place.
NAVY CHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #54
Low Fence
Pope & Young

I bet that place gets whored out
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-09-2019, 12:33 PM   #55
ByronB
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedArrow View Post
And yours is some what unique in the amount of times your kids go out. Not very many. These guys sound like they are out all the time at 2 paying members expense. Think of it this other way.

The lease boss is not paying, other members are paying his tab for the title. But he still brings in his 2 grown sons? Sorry, I guess I do have a problem there. That's just me I guess though.

We keep saying all the time "get the kids in the sport". How I see it here is there are 5 grown men, not kids, pretty much mooching off the others. So yes in comparison yours is really not similar imo.
Again, no right or wrong. I was just answering your question. Now, pertaining to the situation on that particular lease you brought up.....not for me either. There is a point when folks take advantage of a situation. The one you described may be it.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #56
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Concho, Val Verde

Sounds like a heck of a deal...for the lease boss. What a scam.

Especially if they live much closer. Way more deer get shot than reported. Guaranteed.

On my lease, all the stands are community. Most of us have “regular” spots that we kind of have dibs on, but if someone wants to hunt there and says so first, then so be it.
If guests are in camp, their blinds get chosen after all the paying members decide where to sit. It helps that we have 15 blinds and 10 members. And that there are rarely more than about 4-5 hunting at a time.
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2019, 11:15 AM   #57
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Sounds like a free for all.
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2019, 11:43 AM   #58
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SW of Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Sounds like a free for all.

Sounds like a free for some....not all
TexasCanesFan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #59
Hunting4fun
Six Point

Long story short is have you told your buddy to shove his leasing opening up his #$$ yet?
Hunting4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2019, 12:44 PM   #60
Casey
Administrator

I am a "lease boss". I pay the same as others, though. After what I have gone through the last couple of weeks dealing with a ranch manager (not owner), I'm sure I could convince many of you that a guy that puts up with that **** for the sake of his entire group should get something out of the deal. What a pain in the backside. I found the lease, deal with the agreement, payment, etc so I get to make the final call on a lot of things. However, the group is cherry picked by me, mostly all know each other well, and I discuss important stuff with all of them. I'm happy to pay and would never expect to get my lease at no cost because I'm in control of it.

We have community blinds but the owner of the blind gets priority, always. No deer are reserved for anyone. If it's in front of you and you're hunting...get after it. I don't want to pay a sizable amount to stare at the same spot for an entire season. Community blinds are nice as long as you can control your group and all are working together. We are bow only.

College aged kids (call it 23 and under, not on their own yet) and spouses are part of the paying spot. However, kids cannot take down another blind and must hunt with a parent. Spouses can split up. Each spot hunts off one license worth of tags.

This has worked pretty well, so far. Our biggest issue has been the new ranch manager. It's been upsetting what we've gone through.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #61
Hunting4fun
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I am a "lease boss". I pay the same as others, though. After what I have gone through the last couple of weeks dealing with a ranch manager (not owner), I'm sure I could convince many of you that a guy that puts up with that **** for the sake of his entire group should get something out of the deal. What a pain in the backside. I found the lease, deal with the agreement, payment, etc so I get to make the final call on a lot of things. However, the group is cherry picked by me, mostly all know each other well, and I discuss important stuff with all of them. I'm happy to pay and would never expect to get my lease at no cost because I'm in control of it.

We have community blinds but the owner of the blind gets priority, always. No deer are reserved for anyone. If it's in front of you and you're hunting...get after it. I don't want to pay a sizable amount to stare at the same spot for an entire season. Community blinds are nice as long as you can control your group and all are working together. We are bow only.

College aged kids (call it 23 and under, not on their own yet) and spouses are part of the paying spot. However, kids cannot take down another blind and must hunt with a parent. Spouses can split up. Each spot hunts off one license worth of tags.

This has worked pretty well, so far. Our biggest issue has been the new ranch manager. It's been upsetting what we've gone through.
Just curious on how you and other lease bosses treat wounded animals that aren't recovered? Do they come off the allotment of deer they are allowed? If not, seems like that could become an issue for some people.
Hunting4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #62
Casey
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting4fun View Post
Just curious on how you and other lease bosses treat wounded animals that aren't recovered? Do they come off the allotment of deer they are allowed? If not, seems like that could become an issue for some people.
If you don't recover it in a fashion that would require a tag by law, you don't tag. We are bow only, I don't think anyone will ever tag out, honestly.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2019, 12:57 PM   #63
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting4fun View Post
If you cut a hair on our place or there is a drop of blood then it's your deer if it's not recovered. You are allowed to continue to hunt that deer if you think he is still alive. This is only for bucks ( we only get 1 trophy ). Does no big deal go shoot another one.
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2019, 01:01 PM   #64
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
If you cut a hair on our place or there is a drop of blood then it's your deer if it's not recovered. You are allowed to continue to hunt that deer if you think he is still alive. This is only for bucks ( we only get 1 trophy ). Does no big deal go shoot another one.
Yep you wound a trophy and games up for trophies unless you find the same one on ours to shoot again.

We all have our "own" blinds that others don't hunt without permission but we also keep 4 community stands/feeders running for change of scenery if you want it. Works out good always having your setup to yourself but also be able to hunt other stands to change it up.
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2019, 01:12 PM   #65
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

Looks like to me the 6 hunters hunting off 2 paid spots then there would only be 10 tags to dole out. If all 8 hunters go out and shoot a deer, then only two tags left. Looks like those guys wouldn't be around too much.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2019, 01:31 PM   #66
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Man. A bunch of y’all sound like you take all the fun out of having/going to the deer lease. Part of why people charge so much now is having to deal with all of this.

If you want to try, give it a year and get off if you don’t like it. I joined a lease in Encino last year, paid the money without asking too many questions, didn’t end up liking the place/rules, so I got off. No whining about it. Pretty simple process I think.
BigRed323 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #67
dfkoon
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady / Hagermann when lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post

Sounds like you run a pretty good lease. Probably have a pretty good group of guys on the lease. Sorry that you have a not too pleasant ranch manager to deal with. Hopefully it won't ruin your lease.
dfkoon is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-10-2019, 04:04 PM   #68
ByronB
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdog View Post
Bryon B - your college aged kids would fall more under a "guest" category to me. It really just depends on how a group (or landowner/ramrod) wants to do it. There is no right or wrong way.
You are correct. I could see it that way as well.
ByronB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #69
walker1983
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shackelford Co, Parker Co, Mexico

Our basics:
A guest is OK, and can be allowed to shoot members management tag (not trophy tag). This rule takes care of immediate family issues - sure bring your 22yo son to kill your management deer.
Your trophy tag is your tag. You either pull the trigger or don’t...

I head up the place - pay the same $$$$ as everyone else - usually more.

Collect money ahead of time for the feed bill. I think our guys would rather write one or two checks for the same known amount, than be hit up with an unknown feed assessment.

Community blinds - we set them all up and rancher fills the feeders.

Keep the accounting public! I send around a statement of expenses both times I request the lease fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
walker1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #70
txhunter90
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lindale

I would hate to have to compete every weekend for your spot. Would feel to stressful for me not knowing where you will be hunting. Especially if you have put the work in on one spot.
txhunter90 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 08:53 AM   #71
Bear82
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vernon where there is no deer

Price sounds cheap. There is a reason for openings on this deer lease. I respect the lease boss for at least telling you he's not paying. But 8 people is not that many people to manage if you have a good lease.
Bear82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #72
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

Run and don’t look back. Lease boss is a con artist.
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #73
tx_basser
Four Point

Hunt In: Any place Public

This is why I left my lease.. it was just too much drama. A couple of the guys got theirs for free,, ,then the board voted in a members 19 year old son as a board member so he could get his for free.
tx_basser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #74
cj7zrcool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Throckmorton County

That's not my kinda lease.
cj7zrcool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top