Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 10-24-2018, 01:18 PM   #2251
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Good luck this weekend.

I planted a couple of small plots 2 weeks ago and the deer are hitting the oats pretty hard already. Hopefully they don't wipe them all out before they get going good.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2018, 07:58 PM   #2252
dbaio1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bienville and Jackson Parish Louisiana - Union Community area

Bump this up top for updates. One of my favorite to follow.
dbaio1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2018, 10:03 PM   #2253
elgato
Ten Point

Well...I was sorta letting this die. Been a fun season and I have mostly been taking guest hunting. here is a 14 yr old with her second buck from the farm. I've also been trying to get a closer look at this 14 pt. I saw him once run across the road at 11:08 am. Haven't seen him since . I am seriously considering shooting him if I can find him mostly because the pipeline of big bucks is so strong.I think he is 6 or 7 . I've seen 3 over 190 and I think the one I'm looking for is close to 200"/ I think there are 11 bucks total on the farm from 170+ with several of them only 4 yrs old. Exciting.
Attached Images

elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2018, 11:00 PM   #2254
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
Well...I was sorta letting this die. Been a fun season and I have mostly been taking guest hunting. here is a 14 yr old with her second buck from the farm. I've also been trying to get a closer look at this 14 pt. I saw him once run across the road at 11:08 am. Haven't seen him since . I am seriously considering shooting him if I can find him mostly because the pipeline of big bucks is so strong.I think he is 6 or 7 . I've seen 3 over 190 and I think the one I'm looking for is close to 200"/ I think there are 11 bucks total on the farm from 170+ with several of them only 4 yrs old. Exciting.
Congrats to the hound lady.

And that is a monster of a buck. Hope you can catch up to him. He would be a great trophy
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2018, 12:21 PM   #2255
GarGuy
Pope & Young

You just cant let the tread die Rusty. Congrats to the gal.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #2256
ethic1
Eight Point

Awesome rusty! Please donít let it die! This is my all time favorite!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ethic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #2257
Reaper87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee county, Mason county

Rusty if you plan to let this thread die I will completely understand. I sure it takes a lot of work to keep it going but promise you will at least put some of your top kills up when they happen.
Reaper87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2018, 07:56 AM   #2258
ethic1
Eight Point

What deer have been taken this year?

Old 11-29-2018, 08:36 AM   #2259
the marshall
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tex-ok-la

Rusty
Don't let it die. It's very informative and a thrill to see the results!
the marshall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2018, 12:01 PM   #2260
santana
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mexico

Quote:
Taxi just finishing my buck from last yr. . He will be showing it at Los Cazadores this weekend .
Hi Rusty..... long time man..... the buck came out awesome......
santana is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2018, 02:08 PM   #2261
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Keep it going please. WOW that is a monster and has some age

Shoot him
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2018, 04:33 PM   #2262
bgleaton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX

You continue to grow some absolute giants. I think i can speak for everyone about how much we really enjoy your posts. Personally, i have learned a lot from your thread, especially about food plots.
bgleaton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2018, 11:23 PM   #2263
Mr Sid
Six Point

Mr. Baker, You and Mr. Steve (Garguy) have the two threads that brought me to this site and keep me coming back. This entire thread should be preserved as a reference for any landowner serious about habitat/ deer herd management. Thank you for the season update.

Mr Sid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-04-2018, 11:06 PM   #2264
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Good luck gettin that beast, Gato.
Congratulations on the awesome buck for the young Lady.

Last edited by Briar Friar; 12-04-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2019, 06:23 PM   #2265
elgato
Ten Point

Direct correlation between nutrient density and health.. be it deer or people. This with no fertilizer, no till multi specie year round cover cropping.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #2266
ethic1
Eight Point

Wow thatís awesome! Great to see you post!!!

Old 01-04-2019, 07:44 PM   #2267
camoclad
Four Point

Hunt In: central tx

Elgato, been hiding in the weeds watching this thread for a long time. Definitely the best thread I've ever followed as you are years ahead of me and my "fixer upper" farm. I've been employing your methods and I'm so glad to see there is hope and results from this style of farming/land management. Thanks for your post, it's a huge encouragement...
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2019, 08:30 PM   #2268
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

Agree, you and GarGuy are the 2 best on here and I admire you guys. Please do not let this thread die. There is so much information I need to go back and reread. I hope to be able to start growing some food plots this upcoming year. Keep up the amazing work. You inspire more people than you realize.
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #2269
Tshelly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee

Quote:
Direct correlation between nutrient density and health.. be it deer or people. This with no fertilizer, no till multi specie year round cover cropping.

Thatís so impressive! Have you seen better luck with radishes over turnips? We planted mostly all radishes this year.

I have a few more questions regarding spring summer plots. We have added in sun hemp in the last two years and love it thanks to your thread. This year will consist of iron clay cow peas, sun hemp, black oil sunflowers and okra. Have you ever planted okra or tried it? I have friends in east Texas to Oklahoma who say itís very hardy and easy to grow, weíll be adding it to the mix this year. Weíll probably add some sorghum as well.

We recently joined a 7k acre place on the Sabine River in newton. Total overhaul, food plots everywhere and supplemental feed. We are going to need something that grows well in wet soil or almost standing water at times. I know you had some experiment on some clover? I was wondering how it performed this year.

Love the thread. Start a strictly spring/summer plot thread if you want to change it up some but Iíd hate to see this one go away totally lol.

Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2019, 09:30 PM   #2270
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

I have been on TBH since the beginning before the crash and I must say, this thread has to be one of the best how to threads ever... from baseline information to end results.. Thank you ..
Tuffbroadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #2271
JeffK
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshelly View Post
Thatís so impressive! Have you seen better luck with radishes over turnips? We planted mostly all radishes this year.

I have a few more questions regarding spring summer plots. We have added in sun hemp in the last two years and love it thanks to your thread. This year will consist of iron clay cow peas, sun hemp, black oil sunflowers and okra. Have you ever planted okra or tried it? I have friends in east Texas to Oklahoma who say itís very hardy and easy to grow, weíll be adding it to the mix this year. Weíll probably add some sorghum as well.

We recently joined a 7k acre place on the Sabine River in newton. Total overhaul, food plots everywhere and supplemental feed. We are going to need something that grows well in wet soil or almost standing water at times. I know you had some experiment on some clover? I was wondering how it performed this year.

Love the thread. Start a strictly spring/summer plot thread if you want to change it up some but Iíd hate to see this one go away totally lol.

In my plots, deer took to radish right of the bat and nibble on it even before first frost. It may be January before I notice any activity on turnips.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #2272
Tshelly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
In my plots, deer took to radish right of the bat and nibble on it even before first frost. It may be January before I notice any activity on turnips.

This was my result as well, glad to hear it was reciprocated.

Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #2273
TreeDaddy
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: same

I love radish and turnips for their beneficial effects on soil health

Unforunately, i am the only animal who seems to enjoy them in Van Zandt county

bill
TreeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-14-2019, 07:47 PM   #2274
Chuckfu
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Hebbronville
Default Hebbron

Rusty I donít mean to high jack your thread. Itís great by the way. I hope you continue to do it.
I gave victor your regards. He said he has been looking for you for years. Something about a prized hog and champion dog you owed him.

Vic said you leased that place from 72-86 or something.
That is awesome. Itís a small world.
Chuckfu is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #2275
elgato
Ten Point

Ha. That’s funny. I think any debts owed the Velas has prescribed. Was a good time there. I learned a lot and enjoyed their friendship
Old 01-15-2019, 03:19 PM   #2276
Chuckfu
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Hebbronville

Quote:
Ha. Thatís funny. I think any debts owed the Velas has prescribed. Was a good time there. I learned a lot and enjoyed their friendship
They are very good people for sure.
The ranch is high fenced now and has wind turbines.
If your ever in the area swing by. Iím sure theyíd enjoy seeing you
Chuckfu is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #2277
DarrellS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Limestone and Mills Counties

Love this thread, please keep it going.
DarrellS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2019, 04:17 PM   #2278
GoneSouth
Six Point

#onemoreyear

Please keep this going! I bet this thread motivates more guys to be stewards of the land and grasp the overall picture of herd management through habitat management than we can imagine.

“Build it (habitat) and they (deer) will come.”

Take your habitat to it’s full potential and the deer will do the same
GoneSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-15-2019, 04:35 PM   #2279
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

At least one more year... I hardly comment on this thread however I read it regularly. Please keep providing your insight and knowledge
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #2280
elgato
Ten Point

OK, I've been thinking of ways to keep this interesting as I tend to repeat the same general steps every year. So I got the younger generation in the family to set up a couple of youtube sites. My plan will be to video many of the steps we take as well as other farm activities . I'll try clips short enough and hopefully detail rich enough to tell a story. Also have some clips of deer from the season that may be entertaining.Any feedback will be appreciated.

In the mean time I have a friend that gave me a super sack of soy beans and a super sack of corn. We mixed the two and filled all the feeders last week. Even though the food plots are doing great I think there is value to helping the bucks recover from the rut and be available thru the harsh winter weather yet to come. I'll shift to protein pellets about antler drop but for now more interested in energy and fat.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:22 AM   #2281
Bowhuntinonly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Decker Prairie Tx.

Thanks Rusty for this thread and for keeping it going!!!!
Bowhuntinonly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2019, 08:31 AM   #2282
JeffK
Ten Point

Not sure if I missed it, Rusty did you or your neighbor kill anything this year?
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2019, 10:02 AM   #2283
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
Not sure if I missed it, Rusty did you or your neighbor kill anything this year?
I decided not to take any of the top end bucks.Candidly could have shot the biggest one out the window of the truck the only time I saw him all season but chose not to. Excepting him I thought all the rest of the really big ones were 4 or 5. Happy to give them another year. My neighbor didn't shoot any big ones either. Interestingly, his property was under water much of the summer and the quality on that part of the farm was way down. Another data point on the power of nutrition .
Old 01-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #2284
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Well a great spring should jump start those deer with an extra year of age.. I have two that have lost their horns already so it wont be long until shed time. Thanks for keeping this thread going.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2019, 10:19 AM   #2285
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

The YouTube channel sounds like a great idea! Let us know the name when you have it so we can subscribe.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #2286
bowhunter_2
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kinney Co

Quote:
OK, I've been thinking of ways to keep this interesting as I tend to repeat the same general steps every year. So I got the younger generation in the family to set up a couple of youtube sites. My plan will be to video many of the steps we take as well as other farm activities . I'll try clips short enough and hopefully detail rich enough to tell a story. Also have some clips of deer from the season that may be entertaining.Any feedback will be appreciated.

In the mean time I have a friend that gave me a super sack of soy beans and a super sack of corn. We mixed the two and filled all the feeders last week. Even though the food plots are doing great I think there is value to helping the bucks recover from the rut and be available thru the harsh winter weather yet to come. I'll shift to protein pellets about antler drop but for now more interested in energy and fat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgHntr10 View Post
The YouTube channel sounds like a great idea! Let us know the name when you have it so we can subscribe.
I agree, I think its a great idea and would enjoy the videos.
bowhunter_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 06:16 AM   #2287
GLM
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Looking forward to your YouTube videos!
GLM is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 08:17 AM   #2288
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

elgato, enjoy your thread. Personally I would like to see a few more pics of the bucks progression and the end result with the hunter/hunters. Also, most of your info is for larger properties. How about some micro/small/ hunting plots? Maybe a share with the group type "trade" secrets for those of us that don't have large plots or farming equipment.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 07:27 PM   #2289
elgato
Ten Point

Its rough out there. This 4 yr old is the same one from post 2161. Deep forked 2's with a great drop. We had pics of him all summer in a pea field about 3/4 mile from where this pic was taken. I filmed him at least a mile from where he was during the summer. He moves around a lot and apparently others take exception to him entering their turf.
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2019, 09:31 PM   #2290
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

Lets get ready to rumblllllllllllle!!!!!!!!
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 11:06 PM   #2291
Catarina
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dimmit, Brooks, and Zavala

Rusty, how was your mexico season? I saw your big buck from last year at the taxidermy shop, before and after the mount was finished. He is simply one of the most impressive bucks I've ever been around. I'm so happy to have seen him in person.
Catarina is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 07:49 AM   #2292
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catarina View Post
Rusty, how was your mexico season? I saw your big buck from last year at the taxidermy shop, before and after the mount was finished. He is simply one of the most impressive bucks I've ever been around. I'm so happy to have seen him in person.
Thanks

Season in Mexico was tough. With only 3-5Ē rain January thru August quality was down. Then about 20Ē rain September October lit the ranch up with winter weeds. Hard to find anything. Also had one of the biggest mesquite bean crops ever which pulled bucks off pellets contributing to compromised quality. So we decided not to take any of the top end bucks.

Still nothing like hunting the brush country. Iím off to ranch this morning
Old 01-26-2019, 10:08 PM   #2293
texas shag
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Old Mexico

Quote:
Thanks

Season in Mexico was tough. With only 3-5Ē rain January thru August quality was down. Then about 20Ē rain September October lit the ranch up with winter weeds. Hard to find anything. Also had one of the biggest mesquite bean crops ever which pulled bucks off pellets contributing to compromised quality. So we decided not to take any of the top end bucks.

Still nothing like hunting the brush country. Iím off to ranch this morning
You still thinking dos cientos got taken out by a lion, or did you find him again? I know he went underground last year.

Looks like you have some great years ahead of you in Louisiana if you can avoid the floods.
texas shag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2019, 06:32 PM   #2294
elgato
Ten Point

First shed of the year 87 4/8" with 24 6/8" mass A 5 yr old I think
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2019, 07:14 PM   #2295
scotth89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking yet again...

Quote:

Amazing.
scotth89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #2296
Beargrasstx
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

Quote:

Wow, you are living my dream. Keep posting, encouraging to see what can happen with proper management and nutrition.
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2019, 08:40 PM   #2297
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

Quote:
Pretty strong
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2019, 08:58 PM   #2298
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Wow! Impressive
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2019, 09:29 PM   #2299
Puncher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

Heck of a buck! That mass is out of this world!
Puncher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2019, 06:45 PM   #2300
SuperExotics
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Collin co

Quote:
My lort
SuperExotics is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top