Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 01-04-2018, 03:03 PM   #51
TexaRican
Pope & Young

SC set up my trust in Feb of 17. At that time I could not find a suppressor I wanted locally anywhere except AGR in Cypress and they would not run it because I was the only responsible party listed on the trust. Sean told me they are idiots but I didn't push it with them. Instead I went the Form 1 route and built my own with parts from Ronin. Not long after that Ronin and some others got in some stink with the ATF and stopped selling "solvent traps" but there are plenty of others that can be found online.

Anyway, I bought a good printing kit and rolled my own (I'm great at that) and submitted with my trust showing only me. Also sent one in for a SBR. Got my approvals mid November

Just putting this out there as another option. My cost for my suppressor build was under $250 and I'm happy with it. That includes a Yankee hill QD muzzle brake it mounts to. I don't have equipment to measure the levels but I can tell you it's not much louder than a .22 with supers and even quieter with subs. I'm probably gonna start another one here soon.
TexaRican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2018, 07:12 AM   #52
Witchgrass
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaRican View Post
SC set up my trust in Feb of 17. At that time I could not find a suppressor I wanted locally anywhere except AGR in Cypress and they would not run it because I was the only responsible party listed on the trust. Sean told me they are idiots but I didn't push it with them. Instead I went the Form 1 route and built my own with parts from Ronin. Not long after that Ronin and some others got in some stink with the ATF and stopped selling "solvent traps" but there are plenty of others that can be found online.

Anyway, I bought a good printing kit and rolled my own (I'm great at that) and submitted with my trust showing only me. Also sent one in for a SBR. Got my approvals mid November

Just putting this out there as another option. My cost for my suppressor build was under $250 and I'm happy with it. That includes a Yankee hill QD muzzle brake it mounts to. I don't have equipment to measure the levels but I can tell you it's not much louder than a .22 with supers and even quieter with subs. I'm probably gonna start another one here soon.
Kinda thinking about going this route. Iíve already got a trust set up for one can, but am thinking of making one as well. What kind of printing kit do you have?
Witchgrass is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 12:38 AM   #53
jmw
Six Point

Hunt In: Where I can

Following this for whenever I actually get a round to starting this...
jmw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2018, 05:23 PM   #54
tpepper70
Ten Point

Hunt In: Caldwell co, Frio co

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw View Post
Following this for whenever I actually get a round to starting this...
Same here. I've always wanted a can, but always heard it was a huge hassle. I'm still not convinced that I need one. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
tpepper70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2018, 05:25 PM   #55
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpepper70 View Post
Same here. I've always wanted a can, but always heard it was a huge hassle. I'm still not convinced that I need one. Lol

9 reasons you need one.....

1. Protects my hearing.
2. Protects my kids hearing.
3. Gets me follow up shots when culling does and hogs.
4. Reduces Recoil. I can see the bullet impact in the scope on the 6.5 Grendel.
5. Does not bother the neighbors when I am shooting.
6. Does not bother the blinds that are close to me when I shoot.
7. Deer and Pigs run away from the brushline as that is where the sound seems to come from.
8. Shooting a doe from a group of does.......the others will return to the feeder after the shot.
9. The animals do not start associating the deer blinds with "Danger" as no gunshots ever come from them.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2018, 05:30 PM   #56
tpepper70
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbreaker View Post
9 reasons you need one.....

1. Protects my hearing.
2. Protects my kids hearing.
3. Gets me follow up shots when culling does and hogs.
4. Reduces Recoil. I can see the bullet impact in the scope on the 6.5 Grendel.
5. Does not bother the neighbors when I am shooting.
6. Does not bother the blinds that are close to me when I shoot.
7. Deer and Pigs run away from the brushline as that is where the sound seems to come from.
8. Shooting a doe from a group of does.......the others will return to the feeder after the shot.
9. The animals do not start associating the deer blinds with "Danger" as no gunshots ever come from them.
These all make sense, but I'm looking at costs. We all wear ear protection, so that is out, my neighbors are far away as I live way out, but the others are good reasons. I just don't know if they are worth the money. Heck, how much money are we talking about anyway? $300 plus? Sorry to hijack this thread guys, I'm new to these and trying to learn all I can.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:03 PM   #57
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

Quote:
These all make sense, but I'm looking at costs. We all wear ear protection, so that is out, my neighbors are far away as I live way out, but the others are good reasons. I just don't know if they are worth the money. Heck, how much money are we talking about anyway? $300 plus? Sorry to hijack this thread guys, I'm new to these and trying to learn all I can.

Here's all the proof I needed to validate why I bought a can 4 years ago. I knew it took awhile to get one in hand. Two weeks ago my grandson 9, who has never shot a rifle and I went out on his second hunt ever. Yes that is my fault, I know. We have shot plenty of BB guns and 22s with hearing protection. A hog came out late the first night. We could talk about getting the hog in the scope and lined up in regular voices in the enclosed box blind because we didn't have to wear hearing protection. I talked him thru the shot. He squeezed the trigger and a small crack from the gun the hog was down. He said "Was that it, did I get it". It was greatness. The next day he got his first buck. Its my avatar picture. I believe because of a great experience with no muzzle blast or much recoil from the night before he was very comfortable shooting the deer. Turkey season can't get here soon enough. He is ready to go back.

Last edited by Abcdj; 01-23-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2018, 06:11 PM   #58
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdj View Post
Here's all the proof I needed to validate why I bought a can 4 years ago. I knew it took awhile to get one in hand. Two weeks, my grandson 9, who has never shot a rifle and I went out on his second hunt ever. Yes that is my fault, I know. We have shot plenty of BB guns and 22s with hearing protection. A hog came out late the first night. We could talk about getting the hog in the scope and lined up in regular voices in the enclosed box blind because we didn't have to wear hearing protection. I talked him thru the shot. He squeezed the trigger and a small crack from the gun the hog was down. He said "Was that it, did I get it". It was greatness. The next day he got his first buck. Its my avatar picture. I believe because of a great experience with no gun blast or much recoil from the night before. Turkey season can't get here soon enough. He is ready to go back.
Getting rid of the muzzle blast massively helps kids.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:57 AM   #59
savin yours
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas

Quote:

And thereís the CDI factor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
savin yours is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2018, 04:40 AM   #60
tpepper70
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by savin yours View Post
And thereís the CDI factor!

Explain? CDI doesn't register in my vocabulary.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:25 AM   #61
savin yours
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas

Quote:
Explain? CDI doesn't register in my vocabulary.

Chicks dig it

savin yours is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2018, 05:51 AM   #62
tpepper70
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by savin yours View Post
Chicks dig it

Hahaha. I've been outa that loop for 24 years. Lol.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:40 AM   #63
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Hahaha. I've been outa that loop for 24 years. Lol.

My 18yo son has girls left and right that want to go shoot the suppressed rifles.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:56 AM   #64
tpepper70
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbreaker View Post
My 18yo son has girls left and right that want to go shoot the suppressed rifles.
Awesome. Stud.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2018, 11:53 AM   #65
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

I was impressed how super easy it was 3 months ago

I used Capital armory and highly recommend them. They mailed me my FP cards and my neighbor is on the local PD and did my prints for free at the station.

Online trust for me and my wife and boom it was done
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top