Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fish,
    How did your place handle the storm? I hope everything ended up ok at your home also??

Comment

Originally posted by jbhlsu View Post
      Fish,
      How did your place handle the storm? I hope everything ended up ok at your home also??
      Lake is almost to 17 feet above normal so the creek has backed up. I can't get to the back field but I bet its flooded. I'll know more once the lake goes down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
        Lake is almost to 17 feet above normal so the creek has backed up. I can't get to the back field but I bet its flooded. I'll know more once the lake goes down.

Heard through the grapevine that the gates are malfunctioning and are letting a small amount of water out when they're not supposed to. Could be down sooner than expected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Whats on the planting agenda this year UF? I love seeing what all you do and searching for ideas on this years plot.

I will be doing wheat/oats plus 1-2 others I am not sure on yet

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
            Whats on the planting agenda this year UF? I love seeing what all you do and searching for ideas on this years plot.

I will be doing wheat/oats plus 1-2 others I am not sure on yet
            Since I can't get to my plots yet due to flooding I'm probably gonna go very basic with a spray and throw. Elbon Rye, Clover, Chicory seem to be a great combo.

Comment

My son sent me a pic today of the creek crossing. That water is 7-8 feet deep there.

Comment

It's up

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                  My son sent me a pic today of the creek crossing. That water is 7-8 feet deep there.

Well at least there are lots of tracks there leading to the water

Comment

This thread is awesome. Full of useful info. Been thinking about starting a plot after reading most of this thread so I got a soil test done. I have a ph 8.0.

Is a plot out the question?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by texanatc; 09-10-2017, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by texanatc View Post
                      This thread is awesome. Full of useful info. Been thinking about starting a plot after reading most of this thread so I got a soil test done. I have a ph 8.0.

Is a plot out the question?
                      Heck yeah...plant away. 8.0 pH is a tolerable level just like 6.0 is on the low side.

Comment

Any help on reading the results of soil test, pdf above?

Comment

Originally posted by texanatc View Post
                          Any help on reading the results of soil test, pdf above?
                          The test calls for you to add 85 lbs of P (phosphorus) per acre

That's a crap load of P to put out.....and I'm not kidding. Since most high P fertilizers are 16% P at the most....you would have to put out 566lbs of 3-16-0 fertilizer to get 85 pounds of phosphorus down.

That would be extremely expensive and probably not worth it IMO.

You can buy big bulk bags of bone meal on eBay but most don't give a ratio of P.

My advice would be to put as much P down as you can afford/manage now and call it good. Adding organic matter to the soil over time can also raise P levels. That's easy to do by growing Elbon Rye or similar in the fall and mow it after it gets tall in the spring...but it takes time.

Comment

Oh wow, thank you. I'll still give it a shot and post progress.

Comment

I am thinking about planting Tecomate Monster Mix which is Red and White Clover with Chicory and adding my own wheat/oats. Any thoughts?

I can get it at below retail cost that is why I am considering it.

Wheat, Oats, Clover, and Chicory was kinda my plan all along

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                                I am thinking about planting Tecomate Monster Mix which is Red and White Clover with Chicory and adding my own wheat/oats. Any thoughts?

I can get it at below retail cost that is why I am considering it.

Wheat, Oats, Clover, and Chicory was kinda my plan all along
                                That's a quality mix. I've had good luck with the Tecomate chicory....love that stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X