Cool looking snake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
        Burmese ****in python-cobra-mamba hybrid

Lmao!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Doesn't an Eastern rat snake look the same? How do you tell the difference?

Comment

on the eastern the back patches are shaped more like an hour glass and the head stripes are not as pronounced.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakelover View Post
              Those can make great pets, by the way. They may be agitated when first caught, but they are a species that will usually become docile fairly quickly.
              Ok. If you say so. I don't see that happening in my future though.

Comment

He didn't seem too mad that I grabbed him, but he was peeing, spitting, or musking everywhere. As he wiggled around, liquid kept flying, but I don't know where it came from.

Comment

I never noticed how close the prairie king and the great plains rat were to each other.

Comment

That's your typical brown rat snake sporting the new magpul shroud in earth color

Comment

I don't like snakes, but don't freak out about them.
                      I had one about half that size, but just like it, come in my ground blind the first weekend of bow season last year. It was hot and I was in shorts and flip flops - I felt pretty impotent to 'protect' myself and wasn't real happy while he slithered around a few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                        Doesn't an Eastern rat snake look the same? How do you tell the difference?
                        I don't usually hear people say "Eastern Rat Snake" when referring to a Texas species.

Elaphe obsoleta lindheimeri (or Panterophis obsoleta linheimeri) is the Texas Rat Snake.

Elaphe emoryi (or Panterophis emoryi) is the Great Plains Rat Snake. Back when I learned it, it was considered a subspecies of Elaphe guttata, Elaphe guttata emoryi.

When people say Eastern Rat Snake, they are usually referring to Elaphe alleghaniensis (or Pantherophis alleghaniensis) which lives in the eastern United States and, if I'm not mistaken was once considered a subspecies of Elaphe obsoleta.

All that to say I'm going to assume you are talking about the Texas Rat Snake vs Great Plains Rat Snake. They can be sometimes very difficult to distinguish as juveniles. But as adults, the Texas Rat Snake becomes much darker and the head patterns fade away whereas the Great Plains Rat Snake retains pretty much the same look as an adult as it had as a juvenile.

Here is a link to photos of a more-or-less "typical" adult Texas Rat Snake...

For the same of a typical Great Plains Rat Snake, just look at the photos you posted.

Comment

Great Plains Ratsnake

Comment

Big pretty GPR too!

Comment

I don't know what kind of snake it is but it sure looks cool

Comment

Snakes have some of the best camo.
                                That one is pretty.

Comment

Working...
                                X