Amistad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amistad

just did a quick search and found a lot of post were people were going out there hunting but none with any repost on what they shot or were they hunted

me and my buddy are going out there the first week in January and was wondering if anyone could give us any tips on which section to hunt... we will be going after deer, aoudad, and mouflon...

anyone else hunting this week?

Thanks
    Anthony

section 5 has all three of the animals you are interested in and I have seen all three out there. pm me for more info if interested

Comment

Thanks......anyone else been hunting out there

Comment

If you want Mouflon you'll be in area 5. I was gonna head down there this weekend, but my 15 year old hunting buddy decided that girls are more important at the moment.
        Last edited by justletmein; 12-16-2010, 02:28 PM.

Comment

well we will be there Jan 5-9 if anyone want to meet up......

Comment

i want to get a hunt in down there this season

Comment

we had a pretty good trip. my buddy got a mouflon female the first afternoon and i got a ram the next morning. we saw pretty good number of mouflon and some whitetails but getting into bow range was pretty tricky..... we hunted area 5. thanks for all the info

Comment

Pics?

Comment

these are off my phone ..... didn't take any of the female my buddy shot. the ram had right at 22" of curl.

Comment

Good job...how far was your shot.

Story???

I got a ram and ewe this year

Comment

well we pushed him and about 12 other mouflon out on a point, then i set up and my buddy drove them to me. they all came towards me at about 35 yards on a trail heading down to the water. The ram stopped in a clearing and i had to wait until all the ewes passed before getting a clear shot. as soon as i hit the release he started down the hill and i gut shot him pretty far back. so i took 2 other shots at him running up the other hill, one at about 60 yards and another at about 75 yards. i missed both times and was pretty bumped about the bad shot. lucky he left a good blood trail and i got after him like a coyote and pretty much ran him to death. after about 1 1/2 hour of trailing and jumping him up he finally laid down under a tree/bush and i was able to stalk up and get a good shot on him.....so it wasn't the prefect hunt but it all worked out in the end.

Bowhuntamistad do you have any pictures of your ram?

Comment

My son, friend and me hunted last weekend. Great hunt, as usual, but I have to say something...

Why is it that every time I go out there, I see some dope walking around with an arrow nocked, fingers (or release) on the string expecting the critters to just pop up out of the ground in front of them? Sat. evening, a guy wandered around unit 1 and never even stopped. He showed up too late, then just walked around the entire time, no headnet and fingers on the string the whole time. Then on Sunday, the SAME GUY showed up in area 5 doing the exact same thing. I was patiently glassing from a ridge and watched him basically chase all the deer and sheep out of the hunt area in the first hour of the day. I wanted to go over and slap him silly.

Okay, rant off...

Still had a good time. Been hunting Amistad since the early 90's when it was all free and hardly a soul knew about it. Even though it costs and it seems like everyone and his brother hunts the crap out of it these days, it's still worth going. My son and friend chased mouflon's around area 5 for most of Sunday while I glassed, watched them from a distance and bird watched. Got two new bird species for me on Sunday. That was worth the trip to me.

Had my chances on a big 10 pt. in area 1 on Saturday evening (despite the wandering dope), so I can't complain.

Will probably go back in late Feb. with my son. He's addicted to chasing the sheep with his recurve.

Comment

if your going to hunt sheep you have to hit up on the far back corner of area 5. then the area that ive seen the most big bucks its hunt area 1. right on the back ridge. you can look down into a valley and theres alot of action and movement through there.

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
                            Why is it that every time I go out there, I see some dope walking around with an arrow nocked, fingers (or release) on the string expecting the critters to just pop up out of the ground in front of them? Sat. evening, a guy wandered around unit 1 and never even stopped. He showed up too late, then just walked around the entire time, no headnet and fingers on the string the whole time. Then on Sunday, the SAME GUY showed up in area 5 doing the exact same thing. I was patiently glassing from a ridge and watched him basically chase all the deer and sheep out of the hunt area in the first hour of the day. I wanted to go over and slap him silly.
                            glade you weren't there when we were there because that’s all we did was walk around. the first day we got there around 2:00 pm and just started walking around with a nocked arrow. at about 3:45 we walked up on a group of mouflon in a valley and my buddy shot his ewe. next day we got there around 9:00 am and just walked around until we found were the mouflon were. i set up in the bottom of the valley next to the water and my buddy went around the ridge and slowly pushed them towards me. i shoot my ram about 10:30.

walking around seam to pay off for us but to each his own.
                            can't wait to go back next year.

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
                              glade you weren't there when we were there because that’s all we did was walk around. the first day we got there around 2:00 pm and just started walking around with a nocked arrow. at about 3:45 we walked up on a group of mouflon in a valley and my buddy shot his ewe. next day we got there around 9:00 am and just walked around until we found were the mouflon were. i set up in the bottom of the valley next to the water and my buddy went around the ridge and slowly pushed them towards me. i shoot my ram about 10:30.

walking around seam to pay off for us but to each his own.
                              can't wait to go back next year.
                              Limbwalker is right....people doing that tend to scare/interupt hunts already going on. Would you want some hunter walking up on you scaring away a deer walking into your setup?

I just had this argument on that stupid amistadbowhunter.com website. People just don't seem to get it.

Comment

Working...
                              X