Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ram hunts?

Ok, so school me on ram hunts.

I can't believe I'm actually putting this out for the world to see, but I kind of want one or two of those curly horned things euro'd on my wall. I never thought I'd be interested in shooting a a glorified goat/sheep, but the more I look at them, the more I want to kill a couple.

Are they at least wild-acting? Or do you just walk 20 yards from one and fling an arrow in them? I don't even know which breeds it is that I'd want to kill, but I think they are Dall and Hawaiian or Corsican??

Are they edible, or do you just add pork and grind the whole thing into sausage?

What's a reasonable rate for a full curl ram? They don't need to be record book rams, but I want a cool looking furl curl + for a mount.

One ol boy on here went to dallas dodge and ended up hunting a ram... anyways, i kinda want to go after one too for the simple reason i heard some of them are hard to stalk and harvest. Besides the challenge i have zero desire to have a goat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They are fun on the right ranch spot and stalk . I’ve never ate one are attempted to But you can go on a archery only ranch a get you one for fairly cheap like chambers!

Comment

The mouflon crosses are usually the most challenging!

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
          Are they at least wild-acting?
          I went on 4 or 5 of these hunts in my teens and early 20's. I've seen extremely wild ones, others you can walk up and pet. The wild ones are the exception and most fall somewhere around spooky cattle status.

Not sure what these hunts run nowadays.

Comment

They make good jerky. I've killed a few of them, but not in a long while.

Comment

Take care of the meat and its great eating. Mutton is great, just bleed it over ice like anything else a little. If you wanna get after something really wild, get after them in Alaska, I've heard those native rams are some of the best tasting ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                Take care of the meat and its great eating. Mutton is great, just bleed it over ice like anything else a little. If you wanna get after something really wild, get after them in Alaska, I've heard those native rams are some of the best tasting ever.
                I think if I get the chance to go on a hunting trip to Alaska, I'm going to be chasing something other than rams [emoji16]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I just got back from a spot and stalk trip at 4Amigos Ranch.. definitely wild and it’s not easy but man are they fun! We ground most into sausage and it’s very good. I posted a thread about it earlier this week if you’d like to see more.

Comment

I'm with you OP! I want a curly Euro also

Comment

Leave your bow, and just take a ball peen hammer and make it an actual challenge. Joking...no I’m not

Comment

I think the "Sexier Than Hell Ram Hunt" might still have a couple of openings, July 12-15, in south Texas, if you're interested in joining a bunch of other TBH'ers for a good time, and the price is right.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                          I think the "Sexier Than Hell Ram Hunt" might still have a couple of openings, July 12-15, in south Texas, if you're interested in joining a bunch of other TBH'ers for a good time, and the price is right.
                          I wish I could, but I'm a single Dad that week...my wife has to leave for a conference that week.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

If you’re interested in low fence Aoudad, I know a place that sells hunts for $1500.

Comment

Just don't go to Thompson Temple. That place is a glorified petting zoo.

Comment

Working...
                              X