Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody know anything about these or own one.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a firm believer in the old adage that "you get what you pay for." My recommendation is that if you are going to use this bike to lose weight and get in shape, then spend a little money. Visit the local bike shops and test ride some bikes. Pick one that you like and can afford and have it fitted for you. The more comfortable you are on the bike, the more you will enjoy riding it.

This site lists prices of several brands of fat bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
      Personally for recreational purposes and riding both road and trails, I would go with the 29" mountain bike. You have a lot more tire options that will help with the ride comfort.
      It's a option. Thanks for the help and info.

Comment

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
        Looking for me, so 45, 5' 11", 330#'s for now. LOL. I figure fat boy better ride fat tires.
        Lol. Gotcha. Like others have said, get what's comfortable for you to ride. You can spend a lot on a bike. IMO, if you don't ride a lot now, get one that fits ya well. If you really get into it, sell that one and drop some $ on a higher end one. There's a HUGE difference between a $200 and a $2000 bike but not worth it for 90% of people out there. Hope that helps. Good luck and have fun!!!
        Last edited by rbsears; 11-05-2014, 08:58 PM.

Comment

They are cool bikes. Work well in softer ground whether it's snow, sand or mud. The tires are expensive though if you have to replace one. I know the one's you show are cheaper bikes but if I was going to jump in and get a fat tire bike I believe I would check out some of the higher end ones. In the long run, you will have less issues with them. Surly, Specialized, Salsa etc. all make good ones. You don't have to spend two thousand on them but you certainly can.........and more. I ride a full suspension Santa Cruz Tallboy LT 29er with 2.4" wide tires and there are not many places it can't go. Rides smooth too. You are going to spend some coin on it though.

Comment

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
            Looking for me, so 45, 5' 11", 330#'s for now. LOL. I figure fat boy better ride fat tires.
            I'm a fat boy too. Over 300. I ride a Specialized 29er. You don't need the fat tires. What you will need to do is put a BUNCH of air in your tires. I run 50lbs in mine.

If you haven't ridden bikes in a while, you will hate the first week. It is going to hurt. There is nothing you can do about it. Resist the urge to go get a wide cushy seat. It will not be better. Bike seats were not designed to be cushy. After the first week the pain will go away. If you get any chaffing, take care of it. A lot of people use Bag Balm that you can get at feed stores and vets. I've used a product called DZ nuts. Yes that is really the name. It helps. Do not get it on your nuts though, it is mentholated like Vicks Vapor rub.

Comment

THEY ARE FUN!!!!!!!! As someone mentioned mentioned, they are great single track bikes. Not something you're going to rip a lot of speed out of, but they are rolling over things with. Living in Fort Collins, there are bikes everywhere, all the time, up here. I see a lotos fat bikes on the streets in the winter time, during snow.

Comment

Working...
              X