Knife Oopsie. Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knife Oopsie. Need Advice

So Ive been working on this knife for a few days now, and as I got to shaping the handle, I got a little carried away in the finger grooves an actually cut into the tang channel, so now I have holes in the 2nd and 3rd finger grooves. Its not something that's going to affect the function of the knife because the tang will be epoxied and pinned inside the handle, and the epoxy will fill the voids. But, my epoxy is clear, so is there any way to fix this so that its not a visual blemish? Would mixing some of the sawdust from the shaping process into the epoxy help?

Black trans tint or wizard tint. Mix into your epoxy.
    Available at woodcraft or online at amazon.

Comment

I've mixed sawdust with epoxy in past, but won't hide it that we'll. That is some pretty light colored wood.

Comment

Redo the handle.

Trying to fill it is just covering up a mistake.
        I've tossed a few in the trash.

Comment

I would put a drop of flat black paint or something else to tint some epoxy and fill the hole and sand . It will look good . Then if you don`t like it , remove and replace the handle .

Comment

I'd probably redo that . But if you want to dye epoxie of superglue for that matter testors model paint works good .

Comment

replace it then you won't worry anymore.

Comment

Replace or you'll wish you had

Comment

Well, I know that some of you guys are just gonna throw a fit, but Im not gonna replace the handle. Im thinking that since the wood is kinda buggy anyway, that the epoxy might look like a bug tunnel. If nothing else, I will just keep this one. It doesn't bother me too much. I was just mainly concerned about selling it. But, if I can sell it, I will just keep it. Since this was my first attempt at one with this many different components that I haven't worked with before, we can just call this one "practice".

Comment

How bout cutting a groove all the way around and inserting some black micarta or something similar. Kind of make it look intentional.

Comment

I have been there those guards are a lot of work to get right I'm working on a pretty big fighter right now with a half guard

Comment

Well, I got it finished this evening. I didn't replace the handle, so I hope all you knife pros don't shun me.

Given the termite damage in the wood, and the dark streaks in wood, the mistake doesn't really stand out too much. My wife said it just looks like a worm tunnel. I am gonna try to sell it, so again, I hope all the knife pros don't hate on me too bad.

Check the classifieds if you are interested.

Comment

Working...
                        X