Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txbonecollector View Post
    Come'on
    Are you saying this isn't a good option???

Comment

raise your blind up so it wont rot the floor
      you can seal it with Thompsons or even as simple as a clear Shellac

we actually painted ours olive drab from top to bottom and had a tin roof like yours and used caulking to seal everything it was great till a small twister took it for a ride...lol

it was a 4 man blind...pretty huge!

Comment

Originally posted by down2hunt View Post
        We'll after seeing all of the beautiful blinds that some of you have built I got inspired to try it myself. Disclaimer: I am not a master craftsman, so mine will pail in comparison to some. If it will keep me warm, concealed, and won't fall apart, I'll be happy

It will be 4' wide, 5' tall, 6' long. It's the perfect size for me, my bow, a heater, and my camcorder. I'm building it in sections and will assemble it at the lease.

After I'm done I will post a list of all of the materials I used and the total cost of the project.

Bottom: 4x6 with 2x4's for support.

I was home with my daughter today. She was "helping". Made it hard to get anything done, but it was really cute.

She dumped all my screws into her halloween bucket and handed them to me one at a time.

This is the front: 4x5 using 2x2's

I put it on the base with my hunting chair so I could visualize where I want the windows. Also, get a feel for the size....I think it's going to be perfect.

1st window: 1x1. I know it's not perfectly straight, but it works

I just used some hinges for the windows to open/close. I'm adding some small handles tomorrow.

The Back: Here is where I stopped for the night. I could use some help here. The door goes in the middle, but how should I do the door? Should I just cut the door out and put it on hinges or should I reinforce it with 2x2's or 2x4's?

I'll post more tomorrow night.
        I have built a few with the same Dimensions and worked great. The window on the front of mine is 45" wide x 24" tall and I order the netting from double bull. If you put an overhang over the top in the front of the blind, it helps keep sun out.

Comment

Originally posted by Contra View Post
          raise your blind up so it wont rot the floor
          you can seal it with Thompsons or even as simple as a clear Shellac

we actually painted ours olive drab from top to bottom and had a tin roof like yours and used caulking to seal everything it was great till a small twister took it for a ride...lol

it was a 4 man blind...pretty huge!
          It's on cement blocks about 1' off the ground. I also caulked it to help keep water out.

I am a little worried about a 50 mph wind knocking it over, but there's not much I can do about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
            I have built a few with the same Dimensions and worked great. The window on the front of mine is 45" wide x 24" tall and I order the netting from double bull. If you put an overhang over the top in the front of the blind, it helps keep sun out.
            I'll have to look into the netting, that's not a bad idea. I painted the window doors black, so the deer are used to seeing black their, but a net may be better.

The roof hangs over the front about 1' to keep rain and sun out.

Comment

Originally posted by down2hunt View Post
              Are you saying this isn't a good option???
              Tyvek is a vapor barrier use on homes behind thehomes skin. Animals and high winds will tear it apart. You will get 2 or 3 yrs. out of the osb, it's just not designed to be exposed to the elements. With that nice paint job your best bet may just be to leave it like it is and remove it and replace it when it starts to fail. It's a nice stand and should serve it's purpose for years to come, but if you have plans to build more in the near future I would use a 1/2 cdx plywood.

Comment

It looks great.... The netting is easy to do.

If you decide to do a base there was a thread recently.

Comment

That looks good man. They sell stand elevators now. I'm going to raise mine 5' off the ground. I priced them last weekend at $79.00
                  My blind is 5x6x6'-6"
                  I have it completed but no pic in field because it isn't set yet. I just blacked the inside and dark pine green outside. The windows closed are black. Since deer dont like black holes the stand closed up will have black holes. Then when I'm there and window is open it will still be black .
                  $168 in used lumber from Craigslist.

Comment

I just got done with my first hunt in the new blind. I wish I could end this tread with pictures of a trophy, but instead I've just got more pics of the blind. It still needs a few finishing touches, but it's pretty much done.

I got this idea off another tbh'er (using an electrical cover for a peephole).

Inside view

I purchased some indoor/outdoor carpet from lowes for $18 it worked really well.

Added a few hooks for accessories.

My view (no feeder, hand through only).

Well, that's about it. I'm hunting in the morning and it's going to be raining, so I get to find out how waterproof it is. It's kind of fun to be able to hunt in the rain...I'm looking forward to it. Hope the deer are moving.

Overall, I spent about $250, so if it's last 3-5 years I'll be happy.

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Very Neat!

Comment

Working...
                        X