Super Secret Club or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Secret Club or Not?

So i just recently came back to Archery a few weeks ago. Mainly 3D/Tournament stuff. I'm a Louisiana boy by birth so I just had to come poking in the hunting forums

I was looking around to see what hunting might be available in the Dallas Area (say within a 100 miles or so). Mainly hog..possibly dear. Within 10 minutes I'm already a tad frutrated about obtaining information.

Seems there's either one or two "publically known" places you can go with very loose directions on how to get there and where it is or several claims to "my spot" with of course no sharing of information.

That being said..is there any legitimate and/or organized website that points out where all the public hunting opportunities are in the area so I don't end up on someone's land or a place I shouldn't be?

Thanks

TPWD has a fair amount of public land like Cooper Lake and Caddo Ntnl Grasslands on it's websigt. both of those places are within 100 miles and have a good amount of hogs. Also Rchland Creek WMA opens up for hog hunting soon and there are ALOT there. also check into army corp land like around Lake Lewisville.

Comment

Have a look at Lake Lavon.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonExtreme View Post
          I was looking around to see what hunting might be available in the Dallas Area (say within a 100 miles or so). Mainly hog..possibly dear. ?

Thanks
          Heck you can find 'hogs' and 'dears' in the same place without even leaving the city! I would recommend staying away from the 'hogs' even they are easier to catch.

I don't think you can 'dear' hunt with a bow anyway...... LOL

Comment

Hahahaha....good catch.

I could Dear hunt but I might get in to some trouble..

Comment

Check the Texas public hunting information. A $48 dollar permit gets you access to land all over the state.

Eagle

Comment

There is always LBJ also.

Comment

This booklet helped me a lot when I moved to Round Rock from Minnesota. Good Luck

Comment

With a little finger exercise and some time you can find THOUSANDS of acres within a 200 mile drive from Dallas that have an ABUNDANCE of 'dears' and hogs.
                    People really will give you a basic idea of 'what' to look for but really aren't going to tell you where-especially their own 'secret spots'.
                    Anyplace that is open to the public and has a web site can usually be hunted and just because it says it's a 'state' park doesn't mean it will be listed with the TWPD as a hunting source.
                    But here's some other ideas:
                    TWPD
                    Army Corp of Engineers
                    Sabine River Authority
                    Red River Authority
                    Trinity River Authority
                    All StateParks (individual web sites- not the TWPD)
                    National Forests & related web sites
                    BLLM land
                    COUNTY WEB SITES

I can name about 150k acres around DFW available for hunting for minimum costs.
                    Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonExtreme View Post
                      So i just recently came back to Archery a few weeks ago. Mainly 3D/Tournament stuff. I'm a Louisiana boy by birth so I just had to come poking in the hunting forums

I was looking around to see what hunting might be available in the Dallas Area (say within a 100 miles or so). Mainly hog..possibly dear. Within 10 minutes I'm already a tad frutrated about obtaining information.

Seems there's either one or two "publically known" places you can go with very loose directions on how to get there and where it is or several claims to "my spot" with of course no sharing of information.

That being said..is there any legitimate and/or organized website that points out where all the public hunting opportunities are in the area so I don't end up on someone's land or a place I shouldn't be?

Thanks

I dont think its very far from Dallas, but this White Oak WMA a guy was talking about a couple weeks back sounded awsome for hogs. They are supposedly overrun with hogs so bad they are chasing hunters all over the place.

Comment

The vast majority of Texas land is privately owned, as it should be. So when you are on public land, make sure you know how to recognize boundary markers.

There is plenty of public land within 100 miles of Dallas. Start here: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/lands/ and here: http://www.fs.fed.us/

Comment

Dang you Spell Check, :-)

Comment

Lots of info thanks.

Comment

moved to dallas from minnesota myself and this information would certainly be helpful for me as well - thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
                              X