Possum Kingdom Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possum Kingdom Hunt

Anybody hunted Possum Kingdom? My 12 year old nephew got drawn for the Antlerless/Spike hunt and was wondering if any one had been on a hunt there. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Put corn in a coffe can and shake it, hope u don;t get trampled!!!

Comment

didnt know you could hunt there..but I do know if you go to the camp ground they will eat corn out of your hand

Comment

Where is this hunt at?

Comment

Possum Kingdom State Park

It says by assigned blind....wondering where/what that might be...

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
            Put corn in a coffe can and shake it, hope u don;t get trampled!!!
            He would probably like that!!! Shooting a charging whitetail!

Comment

I live just a few miles from the park. Should not have a problem killing a deer.

Comment

My son got to hunt there about 5 years ago. The wind literally blee 50mph the whole time we were there. One kid wounded a deer. We did not see any. It was the same weekend S the big fires that burned Ringold and that area.
                They take you to your blind.

Comment

Bring a camp chair or a boat cushion to sit on (they supply a 5 gal bucket for each hunter per blind) and they do not mind if you bring a chair and remove the bucket. The 'blinds' are set in the most widely-used areas where deer have been seen within the park.

On the CORN issue, if the hunt does not say 'baiting is allowed' then any form or type of bait is prohibited and having it will only get you banned from the hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by ground level View Post
                    Bring a camp chair or a boat cushion to sit on (they supply a 5 gal bucket for each hunter per blind) and they do not mind if you bring a chair and remove the bucket. The 'blinds' are set in the most widely-used areas where deer have been seen within the park.

On the CORN issue, if the hunt does not say 'baiting is allowed' then any form or type of bait is prohibited and having it will only get you banned from the hunt.
                    They only had a 67% success rate last year, so it may not be as easy as it first appears. They only have 12 permits issued.

It does not say baiting is allowed so I'm sure corn is not an option - maybe a can full of rocks?

Thanks for the info on the chairs. What type of "blind" do they have? box blind, popups, brush? Trying to get an idea on how to set the kid up. Thanks.

Comment

The gate across from the cattle pen is the gate to my old lease. Bowhunting only. We were always trying to get the rangers to let us hunt up in the park. It was a no go. When these youth hunts started up, the gun shots would scare the begeezus out of us. We weren't used to hearing gun shots that close to us. We would get a bullet through the trees every now and then too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
                        They only had a 67% success rate last year, so it may not be as easy as it first appears. They only have 12 permits issued.

It does not say baiting is allowed so I'm sure corn is not an option - maybe a can full of rocks?

Thanks for the info on the chairs. What type of "blind" do they have? box blind, popups, brush? Trying to get an idea on how to set the kid up. Thanks.
                        The blinds are most likely concrete wire with camo-netting around them with designated shooting holes (others may not be opened or cut) or they could have other types of blinds depending upon their donations or money allocated for public hunts.

Comment

I hunted there on a youth hunt like six years ago, the first year they offered hunts. I shot my first two deer on that hunt! One was a decent eight pointer and the other was a doe. The blind we were in was just a 4X6 plywood ground blind, and they drive you to the blinds and pick you up. The ranger even showed me how to gut the deer!

When I was there, they put everyone out in remote areas of the park, away from the campgrounds. The deer in the campgrounds would literally walk up to your campfire and sniff around. The deer away from the campgrounds were wilder, but if you didn't shoot a deer by Sunday morning, they took you down into the campgrounds.

You guys should have a great time!

Comment

Originally posted by TxTechsan View Post
                            It was the same weekend S the big fires that burned Ringold.
                            Man, I remember that. A friend of mine had his place completely torched, and he lost a number of feeders and blinds.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                              I hunted there on a youth hunt like six years ago, the first year they offered hunts. I shot my first two deer on that hunt! One was a decent eight pointer and the other was a doe. The blind we were in was just a 4X6 plywood ground blind, and they drive you to the blinds and pick you up. The ranger even showed me how to gut the deer!

When I was there, they put everyone out in remote areas of the park, away from the campgrounds. The deer in the campgrounds would literally walk up to your campfire and sniff around. The deer away from the campgrounds were wilder, but if you didn't shoot a deer by Sunday morning, they took you down into the campgrounds.

You guys should have a great time!
                              Thanks! This will only be his second time hunting - ever!

Comment

Working...
                              X