Draw Hunts and field dressing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draw Hunts and field dressing

Hi all, do the parks typically have a gutting area set up to field dress and skin your deer? I was drawn for the Guadalupe River State Park hunt and the paper work says

"hunters will be responsible for the reasonable care of their game after harvest. no facilities for deer storage or cleaning will be available on the park, but commercial facilities are available in Boerne"

I can't see myself spending $50 a deer to have someone else do it. Has anyone hunted this park before and know the protocol?

Wanderingchef
    I have never been to Guadalupe River State Park,But I have been to other draw hunts.They will have a meeting before the hunt and will go over the rules and have time for questions.What they are saying is you need to take Ice chest to pack your meat in after you have harvested your deer and have it quartered. they ussualy do not have walk in coolers.So just be prepared. Good Luck

Comment

Wanderingchef
      Also make sure you are on time, have the papers they sent you saying you were drawn,Have your Hunter Edeucation Permit or make sure that the # is on your license if needed And most important Make sure you take your license !

Comment

All the draw hunts I've been on you are expected to gut the deer in the woods where it drops. What they are trying to tell you is bring your own ice and ice chests.

Comment

I haven't been to Guadalupe River State Park hunt, but have been on another state park drawn hunt. For that one they asked us to gut the deer in the field after shooting, then when they picked us up, they had a rack to hang it on at the HQ to skin and 1/4 it on.

Comment

I'm sure different areas have different set ups..but I have hunted Justin Hurst, Lake Sommerville, and Huntsville and all of them had the A-frame poles for skinning complete with ropes and gut buckets. At all places we were allowed to field dress our deer/hog but they preferred we didnt for weighing and such.

Comment

I have been there. They have a place set up to hang your deer to skin out and quarter up. I don't remember for there since it was a few yrs ago, but they will tell you if they want it field dressed or not when you bring it in. So just pack you some gloves when you go out to your stand, just to be on the safe side.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys and Merry Christmas!

Comment

there all dif, just got back from huntsville state park. they didnt want us to gut our in the field, the had cleaning stations with water hoses, winch, lights, gut buckets, really nice set up and would fill your coolers with ice, they really were there to help and i enjoyed being there

Comment

when i hunted a park it was designated cleaning areas

Comment

Working...
                    X