Feeder Conversion from traditional to stand and fill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder Conversion from traditional to stand and fill

15 years or so ago I got on a deer lease in Brady Texas. Since it was going to be over a 4 hour drive to get there, I wanted a large capacity feeder so it didn't need constant refilling. A good friend of mine and I built each of us a large feeder. They would hold about 1100#. It was a traditional up in the air feeder, which made it a pain to fill. I have since gotten off this lease, and had my feeder in my parents back yard. I decided I was going to take it down and convert it to a stand and fill. It is my belief that nothing in nature is perfectly straight, so I used a tape measure very little. Mostly just eyeballed stuff. I was most concerned about hogs tearing up the motor, so I built a custom cage out of hot roll. The face of the cage will come off with two bolts, and then the bottom of the cage is a tray that will slide out giving access to the motor unit should it ever need to be replaced. The cage was the most time consuming and tedious part of the build. I bought a road feeder unit for the spinner with the eliminator plate, and then a separate timer. The timer and battery are in the ammo can so as to not have to bend over or squat in the mud to change times, test motor, or change batteries. The solar bracket looks like crap, but it can be manually turned around to face South no matter what direction the feeder is set. The feeder being as large as it is I was going to have to have the motor too close to the ground for a traditional stand and fill. I decided to make it a bit higher and built a small step to stand on to fill the feeder. The galvanized tray will swing down and out of the way to work on the motor when the bottom tray is removed. The front of the cage is made from some old metal shelving my dad had in his shop. The remainder of the cage is hot roll.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by big_smith; 11-12-2020, 10:07 AM.

Good idea on the modifications.

Comment

pretty slick

Comment

I like that a lot! Nicely done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X