Average weight loss after rut??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Average weight loss after rut??

Any of y'all have any info on this? Or at least an idea from your personal experience? We got on a new lease this year outside Rocksprings. Shot a 4.5 year old opening weekend rifle season. Who weighed 152 live.

I shot a 6.5 year old last weekend (post rut) who weighed 118 live. Another 6.5 year old was just shot today and weighed 125 live. And a 8.5 year old was shot last weekend weighing 132 live.

I'm assuming it's from the rut, that these older deer are so much lighter than the 4.5 year old. Seems they lost about 30lb?!?

I'm not sure on percentage and I'm sure it varies a good deal between different deer and habitats. Here are some pictures I have from this year for comparison. This guy lost a BUNCH. I'm guessing from 220ish to 180 or so. That's almost 20%, but again just a guess.
    Attached Files

Comment

Here is recently not looking so fat and happy anymore.
      Attached Files

Comment

20-40 lbs seems about right for what we've seen.

Comment

Seems I remember reading somewhere around 10 15% is average.

Comment

Our mature deer in Refugio County lose around 30-40 pounds. We had a protein junky that we estimated weighed around 190-200lbs. My killed him last week and he went 155lbs. Crazy weight lose.

Ray

Comment

a 5.5 I have been after was shot and he looked ALOT smaller...I say up to 25%

Comment

Y'all find it harder to judge them (age wise) after this weight loss? I'm thinking I might regret not pulling the trigger on a 10pt a few weeks ago (I can't make another trip this year for another chance). I got him at 3.5/4.5 because of a flat/trim belly. No history with this buck. Not even a pic. First time we saw him was in my scope. And we've taken some other deer since, with big reductions in weight and slimmer bellies. I'm thinking I aged him younger than he was. And he's the biggest deer we have on the place as of now... Bigger than two 6.5's, 8.5, and a 4.5 we killed. But letting him go another year could be quite the blessing.

Comment

Working...
                X