Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

More kids into archery - Archery party!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More kids into archery - Archery party!

I have been trying to get all the kids I come into contact with into archery. I take as many as I can when I go to the 3D shoots. I let them all shoot in the yard. I also gave one boy a recurve, 3 target arrows, and a rubber tipped flu flu yesterday. Now the work is about to begin. Because of Blood Trail's son's most recent birthday at CCR, my youngest has requested a bow birthday party at the house in a month. I have 22 acres so I have room. I am thinking of ideas now. There will be 20 kids shooting and several parents. Right now, my main idea is to make PVC bows for all to use and take home as a goodie. I am playing with different designs I have seen on youtube. The age of the kids attending are from about 4 to 16. I would also like to give them a couple of arrows to take home with the bow. Since 90% of them have never touched a bow I am planning on using my big barn as a backdrop to block any wild shots. I hope I don't regret that idea.

If you have any ideas that will go with the theme, let me hear them. We are thinking about decorating their bows, have some target shooting, having a balloon shoot, maybe a moving target, and maybe a long shot contest (big maybe).

Keep an eye out for the future posts with my final PVC bows, arrows, and pics of kiddos (some adults too).

These really shoot good and aren't to hard to make. Usually I just paint them instead of getting all pretty. It takes me about an hour to get one formed.

Comment

Let my boys shoot our pumpkins after Halloween, which was so much fun they took their money and bought some watermelons. Not sure why but I got to admit was alot of fun wasting all that food.

Comment

That is very similar to the ones I was leaning towards. How long would it take you if you stopped before putting the finish, snake skin, and leather wrapped handle on it? I need to make about 25 of them.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
          That is very similar to the ones I was leaning towards. How long would it take you if you stopped before putting the finish, snake skin, and leather wrapped handle on it? I need to make about 25 of them.
          It takes about an hour or so to form one. If you had an oven or something to heat them up while you did all the other stuff, you could really speed things up. Heating with a heat gun takes most of the time.

Comment

I made my first PVC bow. It was out of 3/4" PVC. The pipe length was 48". This thing is way too powerful for a kid. It feels like it is about 50+ pounds. I will change up a few things to see if I can make it lighter. I also need to find some sort of cheap string I can use. I thought the trot line cord would work, but it stretched really bad.

Here it is.

Comment

I use 550 paracord. Wrap the handle and use it for the string. You can gut it and fray the outer sheath and use it for string silencers also. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360260149.602519.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	24167564

Comment

Awesome! Do you have arrows? I'll donate a dozen carbon 35/55 shafts if you need them.
                They are brand new full length with inserts

Comment

I don't have arrows for the kids yet. I thought about trying to make some, but I don't know how many I really need. I want the kids to all bring some home with them. I really appreciate you donating them. I will pm you.

As for the string, I thought paracord stretched. I will try it tonight. How did you attach your string? I cut grooves.

Comment

What a gesture SWAMPGHOST!!! This is just the kind of thing that makes this trad stuff so fun. It is amazing how many people like yourself are so willing to help out others with this great sport. You need to make a trip to Texas to one of the shoots so we all can meet and tell some stories.

Comment

Originally posted by LMButler View Post
                      What a gesture SWAMPGHOST!!! This is just the kind of thing that makes this trad stuff so fun. It is amazing how many people like yourself are so willing to help out others with this great sport. You need to make a trip to Texas to one of the shoots so we all can meet and tell some stories.
                      I enjoy giving back and love to see the kids get into archery.
                      I plan to make the Chester shoot and hope to meet as many of you fine folks as I can.

Comment

Good on you, stinkbelly!!!

BTW, the kids all love shooting ballons.

Keep up the good work!

Bisch

Comment

Huntmaster donated 13 square bales of hay so the kids will have several targets to shoot at.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                            Huntmaster donated 13 square bales of hay so the kids will have several targets to shoot at.
                            Lots of good people here.

Comment

Here is the newest design. It is much easier to shoot.

Comment

Working...
                              X