New 37acre Ranch in Rocksprings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 37acre Ranch in Rocksprings

Just bought 37 acres in NW Rocksprings about 2 weeks ago. I have been looking on and off for the last 6 years since I left the military but really started looking hard the last 2 yrs. I should have bought then as prices have gone up like crazy since but we still got something of our own. This is quite a bit smaller than most of yall probably have but my daughter and I mainly bow hunt so it will be perfect for us. Hopefully I can get the wife and other 2 daughters out there with us. There is plenty to do just to get ready for this season. Unfortunately I am kinda limited on time since I work a 28day on/14 day off schedule. We have been hunting at my sisters (half sister) moms house for the last 6 yrs in Boerne which was great and greatly appreciated. Just felt we were intruding and the logistics of hunting at their house. She killed her first W.T. buck there, her biggest to date buck and I killed an Axis doe and a Sika off the place. Not bad for a neighborhood of 5-6 acre tracts. It just wasn't the type of hunting I wanted. Love Boerne and the area and being outdoors but to me a hunting trip is being in camp around a fire with friends and family relaxing outdoors. That's how I was raised when my dad and I hunted. I still have relationships with the his buddies and their kids my age after all these years because of the camp time. I looked into hunting leases like we used to hunt but there are to many variables that make finding a good lease worth it to me. Mainly the family being there and being really close with all the other lease members. So we finally decided to pull the trigger and get our own little piece of Texas and Bow Hunting Paradise. We closed around the 7th of June and I set up a 650lb corn feeder and hauled a 30' 2006 Fema Camper out there and got it set up the next couple of days. Cant beat the free working camper from my brother, needs a little work but free and everything works in it. Land does have a grazing lease on it and I just got word that they will start grazing it in the next 30-45 days, so I need to go back out there and fence around the feeder and campsite to keep the cows off our stuff. There is no water or electricity on site so I am running power off the generator and need to set up a rain catch for camper water and another 1-2 for around the feeder. Thanks to a member on here for helping hook me up with the realtor I used. If you get a chance or in need of land in the area look up Russell Prinz and give him a chance. Great guy to work with and very accommodating. Hers a few pictures of the property for now but I will try and keep this thread updated. Just keep in mind my work schedule so it might have long periods without updates. If anyone in the area with info on what protein works well in this area and a good place between Rocksprings and San Antonio to get protein or any other helpful info please feel free to let me know. I have hunted Mountain Home on a buddies ranch a few years ago but mainly my Texas hunting has been Boerne except many years ago 20+ as a kid in Uvalde, Junction and Eldorado.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sparkie; 06-21-2018, 06:35 PM.

Congrats to you sir. Let us know how it developes.
    Last edited by sooner6969; 06-21-2018, 06:52 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Congrats. Great feeling owning your own place. Double L Ranch and Wildlife Feed in Ingram has decent prices on protein. Then you can cut through mountain home to get out to Rockspings.

Comment

Congrats, nothing like having your own place to do EXACTLY what you want. You want to cut a tree, cut away. No asking for permission or forgiveness if you cut the wrong one or without asking. That's why I bought a piece outside Leakey. Only 50 acres, but it's about all I can take care of.

Comment

Congrats on your place. Nothing like owning your own land.

Do you work offshore supply vessels by the way?
          FOURCHON?

Comment

Offshore but not supply vessels. Derrick Barge but we winter dock in Fourchon. Were out near Aransas Pass now sitting in this storm.

Comment

Looks awesome, congrats.

Comment

Congrats Sir! Nothing like your own place!! Good Luck & ENJOY!!

Comment

Get a game camera and feeder running and let's see what you got! Congrats.

Comment

Congrats on a big milestone. you will take great pride in making it your own. no regrets on our 34 acre place - plenty big to stretch your legs and gaze at the stars. get that indoor plumbing up to par for the wife and you will have the family out all the time!

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                      Get a game camera and feeder running and let's see what you got! Congrats.
                      Already set up. Got camper set and powered up then set up the feeder and camera. I am going crazy wanting to know everything also. I just have to wait till I get home from work in 2 weeks to go check it. I don't get phone service so cant set up a Verizon based camera. From what I hear and my research there are W.T, Turkey, Pigs, Axis, Fallow, Auodad and BB. Camera will reveal the truth. I really need to get a water tank set up next time I go also. Regardless, I am stoked to finally have our own place regardless. Just really wanted something in that area that offered yr round hunting since I might only get a couple chances to hunt during W.T. season cause of my schedule.

Comment

I'm jealous and congrats. Been looking for awhile myself. Hunted a friends place on 41 east of town last year and really enjoyed it. Looks like you must have gots lots of rain since it's so green!!

Comment

Nice looking place. That's the least amount of rocks I've ever seen in Rocksprings!

Comment

Nice place.... Please keep us updated on your progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                              Nice looking place. That's the least amount of rocks I've ever seen in Rocksprings!
                              Don't let the tall grass fool you. There are still plenty of rocks. Not near as bad as many places around but not as clear as other places I have seen though.

Comment

Working...
                              X