Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deer Feeder! Not for coons,hogs or possums...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer Feeder! Not for coons,hogs or possums...

You know you can't put feed on the ground where there are hogs. The deer will rarely come in once the hogs have found it. You can use a 30 gal drum if you want more volume. My original plan was to use steel pipe with a plate welded on top to screw the plywood to and have it about 36" off the ground. Coons an possums will try to climb up the pole but will not be able to get around the plywood to get to the feed. Hopefully the hight will keep the hogs from getting any corn or ricebran.

A drill, jigsaw, two-24" square pieces of plywood, a few screws and 3 buckets is what I used.

Cut the lip off the first bucket and cut a small V at the top. I then cut a 2" gap at the bottom leaving four strips for braces. You can narrow the gap depending on your choice of feed.

I then cut the bottom off the second bucket and pushed it onto the first bucket top to top.
    You can put a few screws to secure it.

I cut the third bucket off about 2" from the bottom and srewed it to the 24" piece of plywood for the lid.

You can use a treated post 5'-6' and bury it using a post hole digger till you have 3' above ground. Screw your feeder to the top by seperating bucket #1 from #2 and secure it with long screws with washers for strength.

Last edited by SwampGhost; 08-12-2013, 09:28 AM.

Hopefully it works out for you, but all I see is a nice place for squirrels and coons to sit will cleaning your corn out...I do not see that stopping them.

Keep us posted though. I have been wrong before

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
      Hopefully it works out for you, but all I see is a nice place for squirrels and coons to sit will cleaning your corn out...I do not see that stopping them.

Keep us posted though. I have been wrong before

Good luck
      You may be right lol
      I think with steel pipe and maybe a 3'x3' bottom they would have a hard time. The camera will tell the story

Comment

Call me a tree hugger but I've just decided they're going to get their share and it is what it is....

I do keep the cows fenced out and don't have any hogs but the coons and squirrels are a lost cause.

Comment

This is what I feed my coons with[ATTACH]530619
          When they are not eating out of this[ATTACH]530620
          Attached Files

Comment

I do not see this ending well if a hog rubs that post. I HOPE I am wrong. Good luck!

Comment

Following along to see if this works. I have my doubts with coons!

Comment

Everytime I have made a feeder out of an Plastic container like a 5gal bucket, squirrels ate it bad. Hopefully this will work out for you though

Comment

I see you made a coon feeder... If that's what you were trying to do congrats!

Change your thread title to this: Coon Feeder/Hog Rubbing Post ! Not for deer...

Comment

HAHAHAHHAHA Brother, let me at least point out the positive side of all of this…it doesn’t appear that you have too much money invested in it

I have seen squirrels make plenty of jumps that high…in amazement I might add.

I think you should fill it up in the back yard and drink your morning coffee on the porch watching the show…see how it does before you dig a deep hole somewhere to install it

Happy hunting

Comment

Originally posted by HainesNYT View Post
                      HAHAHAHHAHA Brother, let me at least point out the positive side of all of this…it doesn’t appear that you have too much money invested in it

I have seen squirrels make plenty of jumps that high…in amazement I might add.

I think you should fill it up in the back yard and drink your morning coffee on the porch watching the show…see how it does before you dig a deep hole somewhere to install it

Happy hunting
                      X2 but subscribed just for the heck of it....good luck!

Come on man....seriously? You ARE just trying to get a chuckle out of us, right?
                      Last edited by RascalArms; 08-12-2013, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
                        I see you made a coon feeder... If that's what you were trying to do congrats!

Change your thread title to this: Coon Feeder/Hog Rubbing Post ! Not for deer...
                        That was harsh Coach....but I do think he "MegaFawned" it!

Comment

Add a couple eye bolts at the top and tie electric fence wire to bolts, hang from a tree!

Comment

Originally posted by rascalarms View Post
                            X2 but subscribed just for the heck of it....good luck!

Come on man....seriously? You ARE just trying to get a chuckle out of us, right?
                            Keep laughing guy's, it won't be the first time I have failed at trying and it dang sure won't be the last

Comment

Originally posted by rascalarms View Post
                              That was harsh Coach....but I do think he "MegaFawned" it!
                              Yup he's definitely Megafawning our leg here.

Comment

Working...
                              X