No announcement yet.

Double Down attraction capabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried double down in a gravity feeder for the past couple of months and didn't have any evidence from game cam or the amount in the feeder left of the deer coming to it. With it being in northeast Texas, not sure if deer are more accustom to the spinners since it is eaten off the ground. First time of using the gravity feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
      The original post was about the attractiveness of DD. I responded with my experience and predicted the comments that would come from y’all, and they came. Same points, same folks. Personal opinions against Brett, compliments on the product.
      Peyton - I admire your persistence. However if you read back through all the post you will find that I also predicted your comments.

Your post defends DD based on your experience - no problem. You seem to have a problem though when others respond with THEIR experience.

Everyone here has the right to respond with their opinions - not just you.

If the entire thread is reviewed you will find that the majority of folks say the same thing - they do not like the over promotion. And YOU said the same - you posted that you told Bret he needed to back off the over selling. So at the end of the day we are all saying the same thing - feed is good but please do not promise results that are questionable at best

Comment

Originally posted by bigtex76 View Post
        I tried double down in a gravity feeder for the past couple of months and didn't have any evidence from game cam or the amount in the feeder left of the deer coming to it. With it being in northeast Texas, not sure if deer are more accustom to the spinners since it is eaten off the ground. First time of using the gravity feeder.
        Keep at it. I tried protein years ago, the deer never ate it but I had some fat coons!

Last year I went all in, bought a 2000lb timed all season feeder and topped it off with DD. It took from March until November before the deer finally ate, once they did it was game on!

Be persistent, they'll eat it eventually!

Comment

DD

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
          Ok... and?
          No Comment!

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
            Both of y’all have personal grievances or opinions again Holden, but admit he created a good product. I’ve heard your opinions before, but you continue to s’*t on every DD thread on TBH.
            competition. I’ve fed other brands that were inconsistent ingredients,
            I know Brett but I will not be a part of his marketing. I’ve repeatedly told him to tone it down and resisted his requests to use my pics in his advertising. The fact is that he brought a new product to market and there is a lot of exposure in a short time. Maybe his style works. I’m able to look beyond the internet’s opinion and evaluate a product compared to its inconsistent availability, and unpredictable. I switched to DD in ‘15 because I was tired of profit dictating the ingredients of the feed I was buying. Highest TDN, higher consumption, and a consistent recipe win in my book. My opinion is that DD is a good, consistent product.

If they hang their hat on LF giants at least they’re not like Purina or L&E that consistently promote their feed with pics of BREEDER BUCKS.

Y’all can call me all the names you want, it only exposes the weakness of your opinions. I only speak up because you continue to dogpile every thread about DD.

I buy it, you don’t. Move on!
            3 sides high fenced is called low fence now???

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
              Fair enough, but if you are going to claim "low fence" in every title, then cut ALL the fences down to 4 foot and let the chips fall where they may. Give ALL your neighbors the chance to kill the deer at 3 1/2 yrs old just like all the REAL low fenced places.
              Why HIGH FENCE anyone out?
              If you want to claim low fence, then BE low fence!!!
              I thought it didn't bother you? Kinda sound bothered there. I have a buddy that feeds it and all he talks about is how much they eat. Everyone that feeds it talks about how they tear it up. Must be doing something right.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                When the low fence side is over 10 miles I can see their point. Not many ranches have that much fence on the entire ranch let alone just one side.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
                  If you've read any of my posts, (especially the protein ingredient/TDN mega-post) you know that I have a decent understanding and common-sense approach to protein supplementing the deer at my spots.

I have been totally happy with Lyssey & Eckel 20% and my deer seem to do well on it. I do have a few large bucks that only eat from the protein feeder on rare occasions. I have put cameras up around the feed pen and see that they are there, but mainly just eat corn spread from the cast feeder. 3 of these are my larger bucks, and I bet I don't have a dozen pictures of each actually eating protein.

One of a few things could be happening.

1.) They were obviously older when the protein feeders were placed and they are skiddish of them to a certain extent...which if true, is weird that that ever eat from the feeder at all.

2.) They are happy with corn or pick corn over protein and just have their way with that and forget the protein.

or

3.) The taste/choice of protein isn't enough to get them "addicted" to the pellets so there is no driving force/desire to eat the protein.

I do believe that Double Down is an excellent feed, based on the TDN%. I believe that DD's marketing strategy was brilliant, but on a level of nutrition, I feel it is on the same level of Lyssey & Eckel.
                  I've probably read 95% of the DD posts on the Green Screen, and the one common denominator is that folks say that consumption levels increase and more deer start eating it. I'm guessing this is from the use of peanuts in the feed which to me adds an "attractant" aspect to the feed.

I'm debating whether to mix my next feeder fill with 50-50 DD/L&E to try and get the larger skiddish bucks to begin eating the protein more consistently.

I have already mixed it with corn as well as soybeans, and although I have a LOT of deer eating it, the few big boys are still stand-off'ish.

Your thoughts....???
                  My old man uses L&E because they have a deal with the feed company in Tilden, they have a trailer loaded in April. A few of the guys started putting DD our thanks to the Holder Ranch thread on 2cool. There has been no crazy difference. One of the guys thinks the Holder Ranch has more to do with the cottonseed that is put out. Do you happen to know the nutrition makeup in cottonseed compared to DD or L&E? To force the eating of protein, during protein months (January-September) they do not put out new corn.

Comment

Are there 3 sides high fenced? Really?

Comment

Originally posted by MidlandTXHunter View Post
                      Are there 3 sides high fenced? Really?
                      Haha. I was going off the above post that got everyone jacked up.

Comment

Haha. I was going off the above post that got everyone jacked up.
                        Its an awesome ranch and has something like 11 miles of low fence, Brett whether you like him or not has done a great job managing it and I happen to like the guy and admire his passion.

Comment

Originally posted by MidlandTXHunter View Post
                          Its an awesome ranch and has something like 11 miles of low fence, Brett whether you like him or not has done a great job managing it and I happen to like the guy and admire his passion.
                          You need to hide me in your bag and ill shoot one of the culls!

Comment

no, its not, cant even imagine how someone could argue it was. who do they share the LF side with? is any of that ranch HF also?

Comment

I really like imperial whitetail 30-06

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                                no, its not, cant even imagine how someone could argue it was. who do they share the LF side with? is any of that ranch HF also?
                                Comanche being one of them

Comment

Working...
                                X