Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building a platform - use joist hangers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a platform - use joist hangers?

Ive built platforms/stands in the past and I have always used joist hangers for the floor joists. All platforms have been 2x6 treated wood. I need to build a couple more stands and while looking through the DIY threads, I haven't seen many - if any - platforms that have the hangers. Are they necessary? Does it depend on span of the joists? Or, weight of the hunters? I'm not little - about 325lbs and my son (11yo ~ 120lbs) will be with me. Probably going to build them 6x6 and be 4' off the ground.

Any advice on whether to use the hangers or not will be greatly appreciated.

Not really necessary imo but the cost is very minimal compared to the rest of the materials if it gives you peace of mind...

Comment

I use them for blinds/platforms mostly because it makes them easier to assemble when I carry it to the field in pieces. I can make my measurements and attach the hangers to the frame at home then put in the joists when I put it together onsite

Comment

I use them because I can't fly and I don't bounce. I always over build things, but they last.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

For a 6' span, is 2x6 necessary, or will 2x4 be sufficient?

Comment

The only time I use joist hangers is when there is no other way to make the connection.

I haven't found a time when I've needed them yet.

For simple applications, joists are good for 1.5x their depth. So, a 2x4 is good for 6 feet. A 2x6 is good for 9 feet. A 2x8 is good for 12 feet, etc.

If I was doing it, I'd use treated 2x6s, just because.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

Only time I have used them is when I didn't have an extra hand to hold one end . Used a hanger on one end .

Comment

I just run screws threw it, from the other side. I have never used hangers.

Comment

Working...
                  X