Bergara B14 HMR in 22-250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bergara B14 HMR in 22-250

Wanted to see if anyone has experience with the Bergara B14 in 22-250. I have been wanting a 22-250 for a while now. I'm not set on this specifically but heard good things about them.
    Let me know if you have any experience and how accurate they are.
    Thanks

I was looking into getting one but it looked like they used a 1-9 barrel on it instead of the 1-12 or 1-14. So it was out as a coyote/varmint gun running light weight pills. But I bet it would be awesome throwing heavies at deer/pigs.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a B14 HMR and am super impressed with it for the price.
      It's not a 22-250, but I imagine they'd be the same.
      I'd rather have a faster barrel that will stabilize a wider range of bullets than be limited by a 1:12 or 1:14 barrel, which by my calcs won't stabilize much of anything, including commercially available varmint ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
        I have a B14 HMR and am super impressed with it for the price.
        It's not a 22-250, but I imagine they'd be the same.
        I'd rather have a faster barrel that will stabilize a wider range of bullets than be limited by a 1:12 or 1:14 barrel, which by my calcs won't stabilize much of anything, including commercially available varmint ammo.
        At .22-250 speeds? The 1-12 is perfect for slinging the little 40 and 45s at 3800+, .223 speeds I would agree with you but not .22-250.

Comment

I would mainly be shooting 55 grain but would like to have the capability to shoot heavier bullets for deer and hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
            At .22-250 speeds? The 1-12 is perfect for slinging the little 40 and 45s at 3800+, .223 speeds I would agree with you but not .22-250.

Run it in a calculator. Assuming 0.8” bullet length and 0.177 G1 I get SG = 0.804 (unstable) at 1:12.

I used Berger’s calc.

Comment

Not what I am getting using 40gr vmax pushing 4k plus speed bullet length of .686 1-12 shows to be right on the money. Even using speeds of only 3600 1-12 is right on the money. Not going to be able to run anything much bigger than a 50-55 gr bullet but if only smacking varmints is there any need? I sure don't have a need for shooting heavies so it puts this rifle out of my useful spectrum. But for shooting the big bullets it would be an awesome rifle. This was using jbm calculator.

Comment

Would it stabilize 64 grain? Are they any other factory options with heavy bullets?

Comment

Which load are you looking at? It should run the 55gr+ bullets like a champ with a 1-9 twist and it will probably shoot the light 40s fine to but would rather be as close as I can rather than over stabilize by a ton and have shorter barrel life harder to clean and robs me of some speed. If I don't need it why screw with it?

Sounds like for your application it would be an awesome rifle.

Comment

Working...
                  X