No announcement yet.

Bowhunting Excuses (Humor)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked the use of examples on top of the excuses. Nice work.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
      Great article, Mark! Sometimes it's not an excuse, it's a denial to avoid ridicule. During my first trad season I was shooting a 62" longbow out of a blind I had built for compounds. The roof was too low but I could get clearance if I canted at about 2:00. A big fat doe walked in and gave me a perfect broadside at 12 yards. I picked a spot, drew and upon release heard a loud "whack!" and my arrow barely spit out of the blind like it was tossed by a midget javelin thrower, landing on the ground about two feet in front of the deer. I had not canted enough and my top limb smacked the ceiling. When I got back to camp my buddies had already assembled and I heard the inevitable "see anything?" I thought for a minute and just said "no, not a thing"
      I have hit my bow limb on branches, blinds, or other obstacles at least a dozen times. Once in Africa in a tiny blind that was not fit for a rifle hunter...but was in the perfect spot...I tried to shoot a warthog. My limb hit the blind and I scratched his tail about an inch from the top (he was holding it straight up in the air, they do that). Before I could throw out my reason, or excuse for the poor shot. My awesome tracker looked at me and in a heavy African accent, said, "It must have been the wind, Sir". You know you are with good outfit when they make excuses for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
        And here's my memento from said hunt where I used excuse number 1.

I had brushed my blind in really well and even drew testing clearance. Problem is, I changed shooting positions and didn't retest my draw. When looking at the deer through the peep and front sight I couldn't see the branch.

It was a slam dunk....or so I thought. I had a beautiful hill country 8 slightly quartering away at 22 yards looking away from me while fixated on another deer. The arrow hit the branch and sounded like a high tension wire breaking as it sailed a few feet over his back.

[ATTACH]802215[/ATTACH]

Woodrow, you just don’t ever get the point – ‘It’s not dyin’ I’m talkin’ about, it’s livin’.”....Gus

Hmmmmm..... looks like a job from one of them pocket saws, yup.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
          Great article, Mark! Sometimes it's not an excuse, it's a denial to avoid ridicule. During my first trad season I was shooting a 62" longbow out of a blind I had built for compounds. The roof was too low but I could get clearance if I canted at about 2:00. A big fat doe walked in and gave me a perfect broadside at 12 yards. I picked a spot, drew and upon release heard a loud "whack!" and my arrow barely spit out of the blind like it was tossed by a midget javelin thrower, landing on the ground about two feet in front of the deer. I had not canted enough and my top limb smacked the ceiling. When I got back to camp my buddies had already assembled and I heard the inevitable "see anything?" I thought for a minute and just said "no, not a thing"
          Or maybe the sun was in your eyes

Edit: http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...1&postcount=10
          Last edited by SwampRabbit; 07-21-2016, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Well, after all this time in the field, I could easily come up with a dozen or more new really good reasons (or excuses no need to argue over the labeling).

The new list would include things like, it's too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry, too many acorns (a real classic), the guys on the next property shoot too many, the guy on this lease before us shot too many, the feeder failed, critters in the blind (wasps for me cause I am not afraid of snakes), and one of my favorites....the moon was wrong. As you can see the list is really endless for a person with a decent imagination.

What does all this mean, bottom line, celebrate all your victories and the victories of your friends as the deck really is stacked against us....but that is why we love it.

And thanks one more time for reading and commenting.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
              Or maybe the sun was in your eyes

Edit: http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...1&postcount=10
              I forgot about that one - a classic excuse if I do say so myself!

Comment

I just say "man I suck at shooting..."

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

It's funny how many hunts I just remembered by reading these excuses! I've used so many of them! I just happened to remember the time I was watching some does coming in to the feeder when out of nowhere an emu came trotting up and spooked them away. And the time I had some deer walking up and all the sudden the turkey I had shot 30 minutes earlier decides to come back to life and flop around all crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by Featherflinger View Post
                    It's funny how many hunts I just remembered by reading these excuses! I've used so many of them! I just happened to remember the time I was watching some does coming in to the feeder when out of nowhere an emu came trotting up and spooked them away. And the time I had some deer walking up and all the sudden the turkey I had shot 30 minutes earlier decides to come back to life and flop around all crazy!
                    Stupid Zombie Turkeys!!!!

Comment

I have one that I use many times... I missed cause all of a sudden I got this picture in my mind of Mark and his twirly aiming (For those who dont know...Mark does something that I have only seen several really great rifle shooters do with a scope - circle the spot (figure 8), several times and when you come around to the center you squeeze off the shot) and it makes me laugh so hard I release and the arrow flys off into Neverland! Excuse # 210!

Comment

I miss hangin out with you Doug.

Comment

Solid factual information cited above:

-- dang cows/horses/squirrels/birds
                          -- (on public land) are you kidding me?... rabbit hunters with baying dogs!
                          -- dadgum 66" bow's tip hit the blind (so shot short, but now have 52" bow )
                          -- doe jumped the string/ducked like a ninja

Comment

Working...
                          X