Sad news for this old Ag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad news for this old Ag

Just got thru reading an article on Texags.com about G.Rollie White being torn down. They will start demolitioning it the middle of August in preparation for the Kyle Field expansion. I spent many a night in G.Rollie at basketball games and concerts- I remember when Steve Martin played there and the line was around the building with lots of Ags with arrows thru their head.. I remember graduation day for me there- August 18, 1979 and boy was it hot. I always used to use it as a landmark/meet-up place when going to a game. Oh the memories....

That is sad. Good ol' Jolly Rolly. I graduated 13 years ago and every time I go to the campus I am amazed at how much has changed and not in a good way. A&M was built on tradition and it seems that alot of it is being thrown out the window

Comment

Sad news. I too was fortunate enough to walk that stage.

Comment

Saw George Strait there in 91 and used the weight room in the basement to work out. Cool old place. Sorry to see it go.

Comment

I think of all the Friday night concerts before a home football game- Jerry Reed, Charlie Pride, Johnny Rodriguez, Mel Tillis, Pure Prairie League. Michael Murphy (before he was Michael Martin Murphy) played Bonfire weekend- could still see the glow of Bonfire looking out the window from the top row in G. Rollie. Them were some good times. My first yell practice (before they started calling it First Yell) was there. We used to get the place rocking when Shelby was pacing the court.

Comment

I've heard Hotard Hall is finally gone/about to go. When I first came, Law & Puryear Halls had just been torn down; so I knew things went full circle. Hell, I worked on the last official Bonfire that ever burned to the ground (lived off campus the year it fell.) It is amazing to see the campus transform, especially since I held a job that had me traveling all over campus the 4.5 years I was there (worked IT for reslife.)

Buildings come and go... but it is the spirit of Aggieland that lives within us all that never crumbles.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiechick View Post
              That is sad. Good ol' Jolly Rolly. I graduated 13 years ago and every time I go to the campus I am amazed at how much has changed and not in a good way. A&M was built on tradition and it seems that alot of it is being thrown out the window
              I dunno....I like that we're building state of the art buildings on campus. When I was in school, there were some dumpy buildings.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                Saw George Strait there in 91....

I was there. I graduated Dec.93 in G. Rollie. Saw many concerts and basketball games in that building.

Comment

Bummer
                  Lots of changes every time I return

Comment

I guess my fondest memories were waiting in forever long lines in the blazing sun for football tickets. Then finally getting to the ticket window and getting the cool blasts of air coming out of the box office. Man it was hot.

Comment

Originally posted by texag93 View Post
                      I was there. I graduated Dec.93 in G. Rollie. Saw many concerts and basketball games in that building.
                      My wife and I walked in Dec 93 as well. Saw Alan Jackson there in 92 I believe. What was your major?

I also remember taking a marksmanship class underneath Kyle Field in the basement.

Comment

Ever since Reed Arena was built Rollie had become a very unused building. While I was there the only thing they had in it were some PE classes. With the campus growing the way it is some of the older buildings have to come down to build more useful buildings. Since 2000 when I graduated the campus sure has changed a lot as well as the town itself.

Comment

Randy, I forgot about ticket lines. I remember many nights of camping out for tickets in front of GRW. I was actually on the front page of the Battalion one time due to camping out for tickets. Of course it helps when one of your closest friends was a photogropher for the Bat.

Comment

Played many B-ball games (intramural) in that place and watched many a concert and games there in my 4 years from 71 to 75. I think I actually walked across the stage there also, at least that is what I think! Sorry to see it go, but that is inevitable with the growth A&M is having..

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
                              Ever since Reed Arena was built Rollie had become a very unused building. While I was there the only thing they had in it were some PE classes.
                              That reminds me of all things I had step aerobics in there.
                              It was my last semester and I had to have a health and fitness to graduate. Was my only option.

Comment

Working...
                              X