felons and hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

felons and hunting

got into a huge discussion around the campfire the other night about a felon and his use of a wepon to hunt... there is a lot of confusion about this and was wondering if any of you guys KNOW what the law is.... for what its worth most thought it was ok for a felon to be able to use a bow or crossbow but not a firearm... but some even thought a muzzle loader would be ok..... if i could find out before next weekend i might be able to win a few beers around the fire..... thanks for your help....

True muzzle loader y.es. Those fancy in line ones no. What I was told by a felon.

Comment

felon can't use a crossbow

wee

Comment

Look up Tx penal code 46.05 it will tell you everything you need to know about felons and firearms.
        Last edited by Hard Knocks; 10-05-2011, 04:52 AM.

Comment

In Texas I think a felon can bowhunt....not sure about the smokepole??? If they are a federal felon I don't think they can do either. But I think that the Feds have a lenghty not so cheap way that one of thier felons can obtain thier right again.

Comment

This affects me due to mistakes I made during my mis-spent youth, here it is from TPWD web site. - Possession of firearms by felons: A convicted felon, regardless of where the conviction occurred, may not possess or use a firearm (as defined by Penal Code, §46.01) to hunt in this state. Under Penal Code, §46.01, a muzzleloading firearm is lawful if it is an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899 or a replica of an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899 that does not use rimfire or centerfire ammunition.

209 primers used in modern MLs are considered centerfire. I use a CVA Graywolf .50 percussion ML and a Pedersoli double barrel percussion 12ga. when I choose to hunt with a gun. I have looked into this in other states. I have not found another state that allows felons to use muzzleloaders, and there are some states that don't allow felons to hunt with archery gear either, considering a bow a firearm. I'm staying in Texas!
            Last edited by Txjourneyman; 10-05-2011, 05:35 AM.

Comment

I don't see how any muzzle loader can be considered a fire arm when you walk in and buy them with out any background checks?

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
                I don't see how any muzzle loader can be considered a fire arm when you walk in and buy them with out any background checks?
                True, you can go in and buy an inline ML without a background check. However buying 209 primers is considered the same as buying centerfire ammo, that is where you are in violation. I have wondered about the CVA Electra. A centerfire ML that uses an electronic ignition source rather than a centerfire primer.

Comment

This affects me as well and what TXjourneyman said is correct.

What Wheelie said is not true.....felons can also use crossbows.

Texas Penal code prohibits felons from possessing a "firearm" see definition:

(3) "Firearm" means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device readily convertible to that use. Firearm does not include a firearm that may have, as an integral part, a folding knife blade or other characteristics of weapons made illegal by this chapter and that is:
                  (A) an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899; or
                  (B) a replica of an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899, but only if the replica does not use rim fire or center fire ammunition.

A crossbow is not a "firearm" by definition.

You can check Texas Penal Code Chapter 46 for more information.
                  Last edited by TXhunter77; 10-05-2011, 06:22 AM.

Comment

A felon told me that his parole officer informed him that he could use a bow with release, but not a crossbow. Something to do with the trigger being mounted on the frame of the weapon. He also said that he was prohibited from using a muzzle loader for the same reason. That said, he was referring to the terms of his parole, and not neccessarily the law, parole and probation terms can be much more strict than the actual law. Once off parole, and completely free, the law takes over and the terms of parole are null.

Comment

A good friend of mine was convicted of a felony a long time ago when he was young and stupid (he didn't go to prison, but did everything the court asked and is not on parole) and he wanted to buy a rifle to pass down to his son, as his parole officer told him he could.

We went to the gun shop, he picked out a beautiful Browning A-bolt 30.06 stainless with wood stock and nice gold engravings (that stock was one of the most beautiful stocks I've ever seen btw), with a Leupold scope and a case. Started filling out the paperwork and checked 'yes' for '...convicted of a felony'. The salesman asked my friend "are you serious??" (of course my friend said yes) and the sale was stopped right then and there. He also told me that I couldn't buy the rifle for my friend, even as a 'gift', as I could face jail time for giving a fire arm to a convicted felon.

So we started talking about other options with the salesman, and he told us the only 'firearm' my friend could have is a percurio-style muzzleloader (ex. an 1800s replica). He also said that if we were hunting together and my friend had a center-fire rifle, myself and all other lease members could face jail time. I don't know if this is true but I'll take his word for it.

The option of archery wasn't even considered as he has no desire to learn the sport. I have to say I really feel sorry for his son as he too will not be able to 'own' a rifle while he is living with his dad.

Comment

How many felons out there have a boatload of guns anyways? That is my question....

Comment

Interesting topic.

Comment

Originally posted by raiderbowhunter View Post
                            How many felons out there have a boatload of guns anyways? That is my question....
                            The ones that didn't mind the first felony.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                              The ones that wouldn't mind another felony.
                              What I am saying is...how many have guns and never get caught....? What do they have to do to get caught with them?

Seems like a law that is hard to enforce....

Comment

Working...
                              X