Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you being priced out of being on a deer lease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1993 lease price in East Texas for timber company land was $5 per acre. Today it is on the high side $15 (we are at $)10.35)
    In 1993 a new diesel 3/4 ton chevy stickered for $23K loaded out. Milk was less than a dollar, gas was 80 cents a gallon.

My point is everything gets more expensive over time. you cannot compare what you paid 20 years ago vs now, unless you do it as a percentage of your income. I would bet you make quite a bit more today than in 1990.
    I feel that today hunting has the potential to be cheaper than ever. You can buy a really high quality gun and scope today cheaper than you could in 1990 (think ruger american and the lower end leupolds or dare I say vortex) We as hunters make it expensive because we want to buy the best stuff and be on the highest price lease. There is no need to quit hunting. Find a cheaper lease or go public. My lease is $1,300 a year and I feel its a bargain. I know of other leases that are still a hair under a grand a year.

Comment

Public land is great for a young guy. Not so great for an older guy that doesn't like to or can't pack out a deer. I realized just how impractical hunting public land for large game is when I was about forty years old. I fully understand not counting that as an option. But, being outdoors is so important to me that I would be utilizing public lands for bird hunting. The hunt and being out in nature become a part of a man and can't just be turned off because one type of hunting becomes too expensive.

Comment

I feel fortunate to be able to pay for where I hunt with sweat equity...

Comment

Twice. Which is why eventually I saved up and bought my own. It's nowhere near as big but its mine and I dont have to break my back improving someone else's place and managing their herd just to get priced off when the deer quality starts going up

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I stopped paying the high prices in Texas some time back, bought land in Oklahoma.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
              Twice. Which is why eventually I saved up and bought my own. It's nowhere near as big but its mine and I dont have to break my back improving someone else's place and managing their herd just to get priced off when the deer quality starts going up

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
              I did the same thing, best decision I could have made.

Comment

I am on a good leash currently but that ranch is for sale. We have had 2 false alarms where we were told it was sold. If we lose it I may just hunt here at the house for a few years. The youngest will be starting college next year so all of my disposable income will be disposed of......

-john

Comment

I was priced out of a deer lease 25 years ago..

But I quit smoking when cigarettes went to 75 cents a pack..

Comment

I am but other people can afford more than I’m willing to spend so if the LO goes up next year there will be 2 spots open

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                      I am but other people can afford more than I’m willing to spend so if the LO goes up next year there will be 2 spots open
                      People say this every year....Until they sleep on the though of not hunting, then they step up and pay up.

What else are you going to do? Fight to find another lease with iffy people already on it?

I hear ya though. We've all been there!

Comment

Deer hunting isn’t a cheap hobby, but one has to pay to play. I consider it a “vice” for me, but I don’t have any others (and can’t afford any others).

Comment

Originally posted by hoghunter69 View Post
                          gave up deer hunting years ago, now i just fish and shoot birds, duck and geese hunting so much cheaper
                          I hope, for your namesake, you still hunt hogs.

Comment

I can pay it, but, I refuse to pay that much to hunt whitetail deer. It's has become ridiculous cost wise.

Comment

I knew there was a lot of people on here that don’t bow hunt but I had no idea how many members here don’t hunt at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                                1993 lease price in East Texas for timber company land was $5 per acre. Today it is on the high side $15 (we are at $)10.35)
                                In 1993 a new diesel 3/4 ton chevy stickered for $23K loaded out. Milk was less than a dollar, gas was 80 cents a gallon.

My point is everything gets more expensive over time. you cannot compare what you paid 20 years ago vs now, unless you do it as a percentage of your income. I would bet you make quite a bit more today than in 1990.
                                I feel that today hunting has the potential to be cheaper than ever. You can buy a really high quality gun and scope today cheaper than you could in 1990 (think ruger american and the lower end leupolds or dare I say vortex) We as hunters make it expensive because we want to buy the best stuff and be on the highest price lease. There is no need to quit hunting. Find a cheaper lease or go public. My lease is $1,300 a year and I feel its a bargain. I know of other leases that are still a hair under a grand a year.
                                Not everything gets more expensive over time. When I was in High School 20 years ago, Jack in the Box Tacos were 2 for 99cents. Today, they are still two for 99 cents. Either Tacos don't price increase or they have been gouging me for 20 years.

As for hunting, I know a lot of people have said it has become a "rich mans" sport and yes the number of people who pay crazy fees is on the way up. I also agree public lands look like a pumpkin patch with all the orange walking around them now. You may want to look for out of state. I have never done it but would like to one day. Its a shame as big as Texas is and we have very little public land.

Comment

Working...
                                X