Am I wrong in thinking this way...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think your wrong at all.
    In fact it is very possible she did turn it in and the teacher lost it, resulting in her zero.

Here is a little story about my "second grader son"
    Teacher sends a project home, called shoping spree.
    He had to cut out ads from anywheres he could to spent $500,000.00 even "no rounding"
    This is kinda the dumbest thing I can see for a second grader to be having to do.
    Well to make the story short, my wife and I did it for him. In fact we even talked to other parents and they wasn't to happy about his project either.
    Well if you make a single mistake in calculation she will count off 30 points and say "no rounding"
    The rules was as stated.
    1. Picture has to be included withthe price.
    2. No Internet shopping
    3. No 2 items can be the same.
    4. No one item can be over 200,000.00

So by seting these rules it was a serious pain in the tail to get even close to being done with this project. And my wife and I caused my son to lose 30 points on this project and it set his grade on an 79.
    Now if that would not make you redder then a cherry what else would!
    Last edited by tx07; 06-06-2009, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Give it a rest. This is not a life or death situation. Either the assignment was not turned in or it was lost. Life is like that, all things are not perfect, so learn from it and go on with your life. It will not make any difference in the long run.

Comment

Dude!! It's 6th grade!!

You did the right thing by letting her know how important turning in her work is and that you are watching. Seeking out the superintendent might me a little overzealous but may drive the point home even more by doing so.

I say drop it and save your energy for High School when her grades affect her future.

Comment

As a teacher, I take offense to many of the comments on this thread. So many times these days, the parents want to blame the teacher. The kids are always right, and the teacher is always wrong. Our boss, the principal, has to be fair to both student and teacher, but he must stand up for his/her teacher. During these times it is of some comfort that someone does.

With that being said, I feel that your daughter probably did turn her paper in. As a teacher, it would have been something that I would have followed up on. Some how I would have gotten a hold of the student and asked where the paper was. But again, with that being said, she would have never gotten an 89. As mentioned earlier, I always round up. Depending on the student and the effort of the student, I will even round a grade that ends in a seven up to the next letter.

I would follow up with the principal if you feel necessary, but I would do it in person. Be civilized and just put all the facts on the table. There have been several times that the principal and myself have not seen eye to eye. I would not argue my point over email, I always did it in person. It always works out better that way.

I am in the midst of getting my master in educational administration, and I can tell you 99% of the time I will stand up for my teacher in public or around parents. In private, I would get to the bottom of it with the teacher, and I would probably suggest, with your daughter's past, that she use some good judgement and think about rounding up to a 90. I would suggest that, but by no means would I demand that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomkat07 View Post
            I don't think your wrong at all.
            In fact it is very possible she did turn it in and the teacher lost it, resulting in her zero.

Here is a little story about my "second grader son"
            Teacher sends a project home, called shoping spree.
            He had to cut out ads from anywheres he could to spent $500,000.00 even "no rounding"
            This is kinda the dumbest thing I can see for a second grader to be having to do.
            Well to make the story short, my wife and I did it for him. In fact we even talked to other parents and they wasn't to happy about his project either.
            Well if you make a single mistake in calculation she will count off 30 points and say "no rounding"
            The rules was as stated.
            1. Picture has to be included withthe price.
            2. No Internet shopping
            3. No 2 items can be the same.
            4. No one item can be over 200,000.00

So by seting these rules it was a serious pain in the tail to get even close to being done with this project. And my wife and I caused my son to lose 30 points on this project and it set his grade on an 79.
            Now if that would not make you redder then a cherry what else would!

I feel for ya.....after we pulled Kacie to home school, we started talking to the other parents. We didn't quite remember our son having such a difficult time. Well, my wife (of couse) found ALL of our sons 2nd grade work and we compared to our daughter's. Not sure what happened in three years but the math and even the spelling words were amazingly more difficult & our son was in the GT program & our daughter in the regular?? We showed the comparison to our son and he apologized to his sister for making fun of her, as it was that clear how much harder her work was.

We talked to several other parents and many kids were having a hard time & sadly, many are going to take the grade over again next year. Something went way wrong?? Not sure who is making these decisions.

PS: continued rant......what the heck is it with homework EVERY night for these young kids?? Good grief.....we hardly had any homework when we were that young. P.E. is joke.....maybe 30-45 mins??

Comment

Originally posted by SPUD View Post
              nothing wrong with a "B", but I see your point.
              Nothing wrong...unless you earned an A.

BTW...I know you worked 40hrs last week, but I'm only gonna pay you for 35...that ok?

Originally posted by Late Starter View Post
              Let it ride, brutha. Ultimately, your daughter is responsible for turning in the assignment. Moving forward, she will know to CONFIRM its receipt. This is a grand learning experience -- at minimal cost to your daughter. The more you agonize, the more mixed signals you send.

(signed,) Docter Phil
              Confirm it's receipt? And how exactly is that done in the 6th grade. Maybe a checkoff book that she has her teachers sign EACH time she turns in homework, tests, etc?

Originally posted by raiderbowhunter View Post
              6th grade dude....my wife is a teacher and I have seen her bring all her papers home to grade and I don't see how she never loses any of them. 6th grade...
              Exactly! Mines been a teacher for 20+ years. Heck, I've graded papers with her in a deer blind before.

When a kid shows a pattern of continual excellence like the kiddo did, it's hard to imagine she just blew the last assignment off...

In the end, she probably get the "B", but good luck with it and way to stick of for your child.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                Nothing wrong...unless you earned an A.

BTW...I know you worked 40hrs last week, but I'm only gonna pay you for 35...that ok?

But in this case, what if she didn't turn in the assignment....do you think she still "earned" it??

Who knows? Maybe the dog ate it

Comment

Originally posted by SPUD View Post
                  But in this case, what if she didn't turn in the assignment....do you think she still "earned" it??

Who knows? Maybe the dog ate it
                  Naw. The dog know's better she'll get the boot. I think it's that zero tolerance crud.

>E

Comment

Originally posted by aironeout View Post
                    Naw. The dog know's better she'll get the boot. I think it's that zero tolerance crud.

>E

Thanks aironeout.....That was a chuckle I desperately needed.

Comment

Go all out. I remember in 8th grade I turned in a major paper in science. A substitute was there that day and she lost my paper. I worked hard on it but got a zero. Almost failed because of it. No one would listen to me and no one went to bat for me. Gave me a real bad attitude for a long time. Stick up for her!

Comment

We have had many occasions with our daughter that an assignment was "supposedly" not turned in. Almost every time the teacher had lost it and "miraculously" found it when pressed on it.
                        I hold the teachers responsible in this area. To me, a teacher needs to manage the students papers, tests etc. just like it was money. I don't go around letting dollar bills fall out of my pocket, nor should a teacher let student's papers get lost or misplaced.
                        I know things happen and fall through the cracks but unless you push the teacher and not accept that she did not turn it in, the teacher will not budge.
                        Also, your daughter should not be willing you "accept" a B with this situation.
                        Good luck!

Comment

I'm shocked and disappointed at some of comments made toward educators on this site. The way all teachers are lumped together as a bunch of screwups is truly saddening.

Comment

Originally posted by aironeout View Post
                            My daughter Kaitlynn just finished the 6th grade and the last semester she had a 88.8 for an 89 in her Social Studies class. The reason for the "B" is that she was missing her final score for the semester resulting in a "zero" being included in her average. Her other scores for the class are100,93,100,100,101,100,100,100,95,92,90 and 108 (with a 93 quiz,91 quiz,82 daily assignment that were not averaged for one reason or the other). I emailed the teacher asking her about the test and she said that it was an open book 30 question quiz and that she gave the students 2 days to work on it and that Kaitlynn did not turn it in. I asked Kaitlynn about the assignment and was actulally very upset at her to the point that I made her cry, all the while she was adamant about "Dad, I turned it in, I turned it in" but the teacher had no record of it. I have had several conversations with Kaitlynn about being responsible for her own actions and she is still adamant about turning in the assignment. I then started to question why would a student who turned in every assignment all year long not turn in the last one. I even asked the teacher and principal if they thought a student with the above grades, one who has been commended on every TAKS score and has scored perfect on several others, as well as "A pleasure to have in class and "Has a great attitude" if they though that was a "B" student and neither one of them has answered the question.

The biggest issue that I have with the whole scenario is that If the teacher gave the students 2 days and Kaitlynn did not turn it in then "what did she do for 2 days" and why wasn't the teacher more observant to what was going on in the class and if Kaitlynn was not working on the assignment why didn't the teacher take action to see that Kaitlynn did the assignment. Sounds like the teacher had a case of the "end of year blues". I also sent the principal an email just to let her know that adults do make mistakes because when I opened the envelope with the report card and TAKS score report I received another students' confidential TAKS report. Kaitlynn said that she is willing to accept the "B" but I on the other hand am not.

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

>E
                            As quoted above your daughter was given grades on 16 assignments for her class. If her teacher has the number of students that my wife has in her 6th grade class which is 100 that would mean that she graded 1600 papers. That would put her error rate at .016 of a percent if she actually lost your daughters paper. She may have but then again being the end of the year your daughter may have shoved the wrong paper on the desk, left it in her back pack, tossed it in the trash by mistake or a number of other things. The fact remains that it is gone and maybe your daughter needs to share the blame as much as you may not want to admit it. After all she is a child and capable of making a mistake. Give her a hug and let her know she did good. Move on and enjoy your summer

Comment

I don't blame you for being upset. On the other hand, the teacher is in a tough spot. If he/she drops the assignment for average purposes, a giant can of worms gets opened. I strongly suggest, as others have, you try to resolve this at the lowest level possible. If I were in that teacher's shoes, I would let you daughter do some kind of makeup for partilal credit worth enough points to get her grade up to a an A.

Comment

If I had a dime for every time I Had to go to bet for MYSELF as a STUDENT because a teacher screwed something up...

Teachers usually didn't make straight A's in school.... so when they do their "homework" they are constantly making mistakes grading...

I can't believe that the teacher wouldn't ask your daughter about the assignment before she gave her a 0 on it... usually they have common sense enough to sense that maybe their straight A student didn't just blow off 10% of their grade...

Comment

Working...
                                X