Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal IMO

Comment

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot that deer, he makes 13".

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
        Yes he is legal. That is a mature deer and easily 15" ear tip to ear tip. His right side 2nd beam makes him legal and I will say he is 14"-15" wide.

He is 2" outside his ear on the left side.
        Agreed!

At first glance, I said no, but it looks like he has more curve in main beam than what I initially thought.

Comment

Back home in TN, we had QDM practices but it was based on point count.
          Depending on location it would be 3 to 4 points or better on one side.

To me, that is much easier to make a decision on than a measurement.

Comment

legal

Comment

If him being 13" is the only thing holding you back, shoot him.

Comment

Yes he is legal. That is a mature deer and easily 15" ear tip to ear tip. His right side 2nd beam makes him legal and I will say he is 14"-15" wide.

I agree with this. I'd take a chance. That right side is a judgment call and I judge the outermost main beam is the one to go from.

I also agree that mature deer have a greater distance between ears. We have shot several "mature" deer we thought could be borderline. Everyone had at least 1" of grace.

If not, SSS.

Comment

I have yet to determine which is the main beam and which is the kicker, it looks different from every angle. Unless I get really lucky in the rut I will never see this deer in the daylight, I have only seen him in person one time. Last year in the rut I had a couple of sporadic pictures of him at my feeder in the middle of the afternoon. I am really needing to get a big mature 8 off of the feed bill, so if I do see him I may let him pass to see what he does next year.

Comment

pretty easy to reach your GW - I'd shoot him a pic and ask - (I would never plan for "grace" given by the GW cuz the downside isn't worth it when it's easy enough to just reach out with pics in hand ahead of time. imo) that'll give you peace of mind and you can hunt him with a clear conscience instead of wondering. He's a cool looking deer - best of luck

Comment

For the sake of comparison, this east TX deer was 14 and a quarter and he was a fat 5.5 year old.

This odd looking deer was only 11” wide.

My gut says your buck is 13”-13.5” inside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah I think around 14

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                          The quality has absolutely drastically improved, unless you consider a herd comprised of young basket racked bucks to be of better quality than one loaded with mature bucks with vastly better antlers.
                          ........your deer have just had a chance to grow. Same deer, quality did not change, you just allowed the same quality to reach it's potential with age.

Comment

Legal

Comment

Yes sir. Shoot him!!

Comment

Shoot, measure, eat or sss.

Comment

Working...
                                X