Quality LDP’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quality LDP’s

I know this subject for the most part has been hashed out but I wanted to share some tips etc that I use and find allow me to get quality shots when I have no one to run the camera.

Now mind you these will not rival those taken by a trained eye with a quality DSLR and night shots are near impossible.

A lot of my hunts find me hunting by myself or with some guys who’s idea of a good picture is a quick shot of a buck laying or hanging at the skimming rack. So to insure I can preserve the memories the way I want i have set myself up to take matters into my own hands.

1) Lets talk equipment I carry three pieces of equipment. My cell phone which will serve as the camera. A Joby gorillapod original, this will serve as our tripod coupled with there grip tight one camera mount. The entire setup weighs ounces and tucks away neatly into a pack. This is in no way meant to sound like an infomercial these are just the ones I have and like due to size and versatility.

2) setup first choose the location. I like to find a spot where I can get the antlers skylined to stand out. Get the deer positioned with the front and back legs under it. Make sure there is not excessive brush or grass in between you and the animal. Set up your “frame” I like for there to be just a little ground showing beneath the animal. Make sure the tongue is tucked in and clean up as much blood as possible. I usually have a bottle of water that I use for this purpose.

3) Now for the fun part select the timer on your phone camera,set it for ten seconds. Trip the shutter then jump up run over and flop down behind your kill. Grab an antler and “grip and grin” at the camera. Make sure you are looking at the camera and you have the deer “squared up” as well. You will have to make
    The trip several times but with a little time and effort you can get some fantastic shots.

Below are a couple of solo shots from this season.

Post up any tips or tricks of you own, always looking for other tips and ideas
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Austin; 12-02-2018, 10:35 PM.

You forgot to mention the part where you sit as far away as possible while still being able to touch an antler

Comment

A few things I do additionally:
      Try to get landscape behind me that is not distracting but beautiful as well. Also I use my Apple Watch to trigger the timer and my phone takes a 10 shot burst after 3 seconds, no running back and forth anymore. Another is trying to get the sun shining over the camera and onto you and the animal. I try to get a few with my bow and without. With my cap and without. Digital film is cheap. I may take 20 pics and have 6 good ones I really like. Examples:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0129.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	24563003
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8306.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	24563004

Comment

On top of what has already been said I know on the samsung phones they have a voice activated shutter. You can get the phone where you need it and then go sit down and say cheese or capture or whatever and it will take a picture everytime. I will do that and then go through and pick out the better ones of I'm alone.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

While in both of those pictures my arm is outstretched it is not because i am feet away from the animal it is to keep my body to the side of the rack so that it can all be skylined. In both of those cases I am within 6-10 inches of the back of the deer.

Those are some other good points will have to look into options for my iPhone for remote
          Activating the shutter other than an Apple Watch. I can be down right tired from running back and forth by the time I am done

Comment

Originally posted by Regular7 View Post
            You forgot to mention the part where you sit as far away as possible while still being able to touch an antler

Yep

Comment

Get rid of any tall grass in front of the subject. It takes away from the quality aspect with a blur in the foreground.

Sun in subject face....always...even in overcast situations. Unless you like silhouettes or dark pics.

Go find yourself a tree and drag him up in the top of that dude and take a LDP....like a leopard.. World Class!
              Last edited by Smart; 12-03-2018, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Solid color shirt on hunter makes animal more crisp. Don't lose any of the tines on camo

Comment

I also like to be off the nose of the animals as opposed to trying to skyline the rack from the rear end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You have to get a good one and pretty fast. These are my 2018 (top) and 2017 pics. I look back over the years at many deer that I've taken and wish I would have taken the time to get better pics of the memory. I do at least have most on the wall, so that memory always remains.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Learning to tuck the legs under the deer (even if you have to work them back and forth after rig has set in) is important.

I like to find a big stick or something to prop them up against so it is easier to hold them... and the stick is behind them, not in the picture.

Personal preference for me is to be at eye level and not looking up like you were an ant on the ground. But again personal preference. If I am taking the picture for somebody I am usually sitting or kneeling on the ground with them... but not laying down...

I like to see the vegetation of the deer and where they hung out. South Texas hunts are gonna have cactus in it, etc.

When taking pictures, if your phone has it, use the multi-shot (like 10 rapid pics). That way usually a few might turn out. chances are you are not blinking in at least a couple of the 10.

Take a few pictures without you in it. I feel like we spend a lot of time trying to get us to look right... often times, I'll just play with the animal pose without me in it and those pictures tend to turn out nicer. You can use a tree/log/stick to prop the animal up.

Comment

So where does bloody tailgate pic fit in?

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                          only if it has a Walmart in the background

Comment

One of my brothers has a fake smile that looks like he is constipated. Saying a joke as a took this picture put the right expression on his face.

Also getting down low for the shot provides a good perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                              LOL!

I actually take those quick picks of them just laying where I found them too... or on the tailgate... or hanging if I've forgotten to do either. I just usually don't post those.

My kids are usually after to me "send a picture" so I send what I have at the time. They are hunters... so they don't need the "posed" pic... they just wanna see what I've killed.

Most of the time, I take a posed picture for that "trophy" and often times that is my "trophy" a well taken photograph. I might euro the head, etc... but for me... a nicely framed picture of is all I really desire... and a hell of whole lot cheaper too!

Comment

Working...
                              X