Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first experience in casting and coloring concrete.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first experience in casting and coloring concrete.

I shopped around to get my hearth stone cast for my fireplace and I thought they all wanted to much money. I did a lot of reading on the ole WWW and studied up on special countertop mixes and whatnot. In the end I had a pallet of regular old sackrete sitting in the barn and a couple of bags of Portland so I decided to cast it out of this mix to see what it came out like. I used 5 pounds of Portland for every 80# bag of sackrete. I used 4 different colors and I didn't swirl them together near as much as I would have liked but it came out ok I think.
    I built the form and made my pour. The stone is 92 inches long by 22 inches wide by 3 inches thick with stainless wire in the concrete.
    Amazon hooked me up with a concrete grinder/polisher and I got to work with it. There is way more time in the polishing than anything else but I got it to the high luster I was looking for.
    It was entirely to hot to keep up with pics during the pour but I have pics of the finished product. I will seal it tonight and then find out who my friends are when I install it on Tuesday night.
    Attached Files

that turned out really cool. post some pics of the install

Comment

Agree, that looks real nice. Good luck on install

Comment

very cool!

Comment

Looks pretty slick.......lol. Ready to see final install.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
            Looks pretty slick.......lol. Ready to see final install.
            Got the seal on it last night and I checked this morning to make sure it was dry, it looked good.
            I have recruited/bullied enough people that we will get it in the house tonight.

Comment

I'm considering casting the countertops for my outdoor kitchen build. Where did you acquire the SS wire mesh?

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                I'm considering casting the countertops for my outdoor kitchen build. Where did you acquire the SS wire mesh?
                I had a roll from a job we had done last year , we have a refract crew so I get to scrounge for scraps from them.
                I plan on doing my outdoor kitchen tops as well now, the only thing I'm going to do different is getting a bigger grinder/ polisher. The 4" I bought just isn't big enough to tackle any more than what I have all ready done with it on the hearth stone.

Comment

I like it!

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Very nice!! Looks great

Comment

Got it installed. I will groute it in tomorrow.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Nice! I made one just like it a few months ago

Comment

Looks good, great work.

Comment

hell yeah, that turned out awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X