Ceviche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ceviche

Not sure if i had posted this already or not.. made some more this weekend out of red snapper.. delicious.. used some of my home grown peppers and they were "loud".. great kick this batch has..

Ceviche

1.5 lbs. firm fleshed saltwater fish. Snapper, grouper, wahoo, ling, tripletai, redfish, you get the picture.
    Or use 1 pound of fish and 1\2 pound of shrimp.
    Fresh limes and lemons, and one orange
    Cut the seafood into 3\8 to 1\2 inch cubes and place in non-metallic container. Squeeze fresh limes and
    lemons over the cubes unti covered. Usually 12-14 will do it. Mix well and place in fridge for three hours.

Then begin your vegetable prep, and place in another non-metallic container large enough to hold the entire recipe.
    In a small bowl, whisk together the V-8, Worchestershire, the juice of two limes and the orange, and all the
    dry ingredients. Pour over the vegetables, mix well and refrigerate until fish is ready.

When the seafood is ready, rinse in a colander and drain well. Mix all ingredients together and you are good to go
    right away, but it is even better the next day. Serve with chips or crackers and cold beer. Makes 4-5 lbs., enough
    for a hungry crowd. A great treat on a hot summer day!

One large sweet onion, quartered and thinly sliced
    1\2 cup finely chopped cilantro
    2 jaleps, 2 serranos, seeded if you like and finely diced
    2 celery sticks, split and sliced thin
    1 small bell pepper, seeded and diced
    i can black olives, drained and coarsely chopped
    2 firm avacados, diced
    4-6 ripe tomatoes, cored and diced,
    Can substtitute good quality canned if ripe ones are not available

One teaspoon each of the following:
    Fresh ground black pepper
    Sea salt
    Red pepper flakes
    Lawry's garlic powder
    ground coriander
    ground comino
    oregano

Five tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
    One 12 oz. can Spicy V-8 juice
    White corn tortilla chips, crackers, etc.

hmmmmmmm, I'll pass. I like to cook the dioxin out of them. You and Palerider can enjoy!

Comment

dang...that sounds good...

so you discard the lemon/lime juice? Thats interesting...I've always incorporated it in the final ceviche and then just used a slotted spoon to serve but I wasn't adding the spicy V8. I've got some redfish in the freezer I need to try that with.

Thanks!

Comment

Yes, i discard the juice that the fish is "cooking" in.. it is always a milky color i don't like and don't want to add that to my final product.. you can always add more lime/lemon to your final product and then you get a nice clear, with a bit of the V-8 color with it.. makes it pretty when served.

Comment

need to try this

Comment

Had it in Mexico, great dish.

Comment

Looks great. I can't wait for some warmer weather to re-stock my fish supply!

Comment

We have some in the freezer, so when I get a hankering, i ask Steve to make us a batch..

Comment

Man... now that sounds like a winner indeed! Have even had some where the guy used habanero peppers... now that bugger was hot!!!!

Comment

very similar to the way we make itr, redfish is the best in my opinion, almost time to hit the water

Comment

Working...
                    X