What has worked for you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What has worked for you

I’d like to start a new thread inspired by jitters and vegetarian. We have some very deep talent on this thread (Bish, Roger, Rick just to name a few) and a lot of shooters like me who are struggling but have discovered some things that have helped them to improve.
    What has helped you the most? Personally I’ve tried just about everything except personal coaching.
    Masters of the barebow helped me get better form and the necessity of putting a bandaid on my nose.
    Arnie Moe’s rotational draw helped me discover back tension. Jimmy Blackmon showed me the best technique to learn to gap which I absolutely cannot do. I know that an aiming technique would help my accuracy, bu I can’t for the life of me focus on the tip of the arrow.
    As for Rick’s advice of transfer of a spot, I’ve read the book twice and still can’t do it. I know it works. This morning I shot three arrows at a 300 round indoor target at 30 yds. One five and two fours just out of the five. I switch to the 3D deer at 18yds and shoot an 8,5 and 0.
    Right now to prepare for tbot my daily practice has been one arrow at 18 yds, one at about 23 and one at thirty. I try to end up with an 8 average. Haven’t been able to do it yet . Best has be 24 8’s and six 5’s. I don’t have ten or twelve rings so it may have been slightly better.
    Trad shooters are a tight knit group who generally are willing to help one another, so my hope is that we can get a thread started where we share information that can help all of us become better at our common passion. Need lots of input from you really good shooters. Not to hijack my own post but how in the cornbread h**l do you put a picture on your avatar?

It's easy from Tapatalk. Click on the circle and choose from a pic on your phone.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Chuck, before you can learn to aim with the tip of the arrow, you have to learn to see it.
      Not necessarily focus on it, but see it well enough to use it.

I don't focus on the tip of the arrow. I focus on the spot I want to hit,
      but I still see the tip, and am well aware of how the arrow is pointed enough to easily use it.

Get up real close to your target butt as if you were blind bale shooting.
      Draw the bow, point the arrow looking at the tip, and shoot.
      Don't worry about accuracy, just make sure you keep it on the bag.

Once you get used to seeing the tip, then start moving back a little at a time, and work on actual aiming with the arrow.

(What has worked for you?)
      For me, it was learning how to aim, and developing a hard aiming system.
      I actually did that rather quickly into learning how to shoot, and it became so natural, that I've been accused of shooting instinctively quite a number of times.

Rick

Comment

I started shooting long before I knew of any literature or anyone with the proper knowledge to help me. I watched Howard Hill, Ben Pearson, Fred Bear, The Thompson bothers, and a few more on movie shorts. Most of y'all are to young to remember those.
        I tried to imitate the way they drew, anchored and shot. Not knowing what they were actually doing or how they were doing it. That said, my way of shooting is unorthodox to say the least.
        Even though I cant my bow much more than most (from watching the indians in the old west movies) and somewhat snap shoot I've had very good success in target shooting and hunting. I found that practice and repetition worked for me. If you do the same thing the same way consistently you will be consistent. At least it worked for me.

I know this will sound like I'm blowing my own horn and I don't mean too. I just would like to give an example of being consistent in what ever manner you use. I've taken 1'st place and always in the top 5% in several field archery tournaments. When 2D shoots started, I won several and was usually in the top 3. I did very well when 3D shoots came along for several years. I always did extremely well with the moving targets. My most memorable was coming in 11th place out of over 200 shooters with an Indian style self bow in the open class at the State Longbow Championship. There was not a self bow class at that time.

Age and health have taken their toll. I can't handle shooting the 3D shoots anymore but my accuracy on critters is hanging in there.

I guess I've said all that just to say, do the same thing the same way every time and you will usually get the same results. Good hits on the targets and animals you shoot at.

Practice, practice practice. And luck don't hurt either.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post

I don't focus on the tip of the arrow. I focus on the spot I want to hit,
          but I still see the tip, and am well aware of how the arrow is pointed enough to easily use it.

Rick
          I've always likened my style of aiming like throwing a baseball. Not using a sighting system per-say. It works very well shooting in the dark when I can't see my arrow.

I never notice the tip of my arrow, however I've come to believe that I am using it subconsciously to some extent at least.

With practice it is a very effect method of aiming. I've seen some very good gap shooters over the years.
          Last edited by coop; 02-03-2018, 03:53 PM. Reason: additional remarks

Comment

The biggest thing that has helped me improve as an archer? I realized it is physically possible to shoot very accurately at long distances with a trad bow, and do it with intention. It used to be that I was surprised when I hit my spot past about 15 yards, now that I know I have the capability I'm disappointed in myself when I miss my spot at 20 yards.

It's amazing what confidence does. I am confident I can learn to shoot tiny little dots at 30 yards or more, if I so desire. Similarly, I am now confident in hitting an animal where I'm looking at 15-20 yards, even if I want an 8 yard shot.

Comment

I shot what I would consider about average for 20 years. I hit most of what I shot at but then would miss an easy shot now and then. This was before 3-d but we all gathered up and shot a lot and I was no worst or better than any of my friends.

I started playing a game than improved my ability and my success on animals moved up to close to 100%.

It still use it today.

My target has a 6” bulls eye.
              I walk up close to it and shoot, close enough I know I’m not going to miss.
              I back up 5 or 6 steps and shoot again. If I hit the dot, I back up. I don’t back up unless it is in the dot, close don’t count.
              Every time I hit I back up, if I miss I shoot again until I hit the spot or run out of arrows.

I use 8 or 10 arrows.
              Sometimes I run out at 30 yards then the next I may be out at 50.

Not only does it make longer shots seem make able it makes 15or 20 a slam dunk

Comment

Buff,

I've played that game for a long time. I think it helps and it also makes practicing more enjoyable for me.

JC

Comment

My target has a 6" circle with a 2" dot in it. I play that but use the 2" dot. Maybe I should use the 6". I might get past 20 yards.[emoji38]

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Keep it coming guys. I’m an old guy too and age has caught up with me. I’ve been shooting Traditional since in was just Archery. No 3D just field Archery. As long as I’ve been shooting I should be better than I am. I know consistency is important as I’ve been a police firearms instructor for several years but I’ve not been able to apply those shooting skills with the bow for some reason.
                    I can shoot better when I visualize the flight of the arrow but, I know that the ability to aim would improve my accuracy.
                    I’ll try your technique tomorrow Rick .
                    Buff, you’ve given some good advice to apply also.
                    Trumpkin, I’m actually a better shot at 30yds than 15 yds for some reason.
                    I really believe that I have to develop a strong aiming technique.
                    Anyway, I hope that others will get on board with their concerns and keep this going.
                    I tied that with the avatar and keep getting failure to upload.
                    Thanks
                    Last edited by chuckc.; 02-03-2018, 06:22 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Success already

I got a avatar now! That’s me and my brother on a self guided trip to the West Elk Wilderness many years ago. He’s 81 now and I’m 68.

Comment

Like Buff, I use the walk-back a lot. I will vary it by sometimes shooting from a chair or from a kneeling position.

I also like to set up a 3-d target, stand by the target with 4 or 5 arrows and toss them out to various distances and angles. When shooting, ignore the scoring rings and visualize a killing shot.

I have a tripod set up in my back yard. I like to set up 3 or 4 targets at various distances and shoot at them from the tripod, both from the sitting position and from a standing position.

Comment

- Walk back every shooting session, given the time:
                          1) for confidence when my form goes awry
                          2) up close practice...one hunt I missed a hunkered piglet three times at 2yds with my wheelbow...I backed up to 10 yds and thwacked it good.
                          - 15yd (ish) mark on my riser.
                          - Consistently consciously :
                          1) going to the same first anchor points and
                          2) having several repeatable points of contact in that first anchor,
                          3) then after release going to same second anchor point.

Awesome avatar Chuck!

Takin notes over here Boss.

Comment

Thanks Briar. Once September rolls around all my shooting is done from the same type of stool that’s in my Krivoman and at distances that I limit myself to when hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckc. View Post
                              Thanks Briar. Once September rolls around all my shooting is done from the same type of stool that’s in my Krivoman and at distances that I limit myself to when hunting.
                              Hey Chuck,

Mike and I will be looking to shoot with you, Bud, and Corey again this year at some TBoT shoots. Mike has improved his shooting quite a bit and surpassed me this last year.

I've gotten better by establishing three points of contact at anchor and quit fiddling with it or moving it around. Middle finger corner of mouth, cradle jawbone with "C" between thumb/forefinger, nose touching the cock feather. Relaxed hook on string, open bow hand on draw, light wrap of bow hand finger. On release with both hands do nothing (thanks John Schulz). The closer I am to the target or target is downhill, the more I cant the bow.

If I do all that right, I'm likely to hit where I'm looking. But then again, you've seen me shoot!

I've made myself shoot from 10 paces until I hit all arrows on 1 1/2" spots before moving back, then shoot at unknown and varying distances/angles.

Here's to a great upcoming three D season. We will be in Bryan next weekend. See you guys out there!

Todd
                              Last edited by twillgo; 02-04-2018, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X