About fed up with my AR- Accuracy issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About fed up with my AR- Accuracy issues

I have had my AR for about a year and have yet to really achieve what I consider respectable accuracy out of it. I can get about 2-3 in groups at 100 yds and 6+ at 200.

I have tried all types of ammo from light 55 gr- to heavier 73gr and in between . Poi changes but the groups stay loose regardless. I’m certainly no sniper but I can shoot 1” groups or better with my other rifles.

I upgraded the trigger to a 3.5# Velocity single stage last feb. While it helped, it only improved to the stats stated, before patterns were wider spread than that.

Shooting from a bench with a Caldwell solo.

Surely a mil spec/ factory AR is better than that?

Buy a Wilson!

Comment

Should be better than that. Maybe you got a lemon?

Comment

Originally posted by Colton View Post
        Should be better than that. Maybe you got a lemon?
        I would agree

Comment

Several issues come to mind.

1. Cheaper uppers/barrels can take 100-200-(500 it chrome lined) rounds to break in.
          2. Is the barrel properly bedded/seated into the upper?
          3. Is the barrel nut properly torqued?
          4. Is the gas block moving? I loctite mine in place.
          5. Optics mounts.

All/any of these will cause you issues.

Comment

Who made it? Sounds like you may need a barrel swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

any play between upper and lower receiver?

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                Several issues come to mind.

1. Cheaper uppers/barrels can take 100-200-(500 it chrome lined) rounds to break in.
                2. Is the barrel properly bedded/seated into the upper?
                3. Is the barrel nut properly torqued?
                4. Is the gas block moving? I loctite mine in place.
                5. Optics mounts.

All/any of these will cause you issues.
                Good recommendations. Not sure I know how to check for barrel seating in upper or barrel but today, but I bet I can find a YouTube vid to help. I was going to check the gas block tonight, but I think it’s pretty solid.

Optics mount seems solid and loctite was used.

Originally posted by grinningmule View Post
                any play between upper and lower receiver?
                Not that I have noticed but I will check tonight

For reference it is an Anderson complete rifle. It probably has 300+ rounds through it

Comment

Im use to shooting heavy guns due to all of my rifles being bull barrel just about. But imo mil spec ARs are hard to shoot that accurate they are just so light they are easy to pull and jump off target.

Its not that the gun is inaccurate. They are just hard to shoot accurately. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                    Im use to shooting heavy guns due to all of my rifles being bull barrel just about. But imo mil spec ARs are hard to shoot that accurate they are just so light they are easy to pull and jump off target.

Its not that the gun is inaccurate. They are just hard to shoot accurately. Just a thought.
                    I’ve contemplated this for hours since going 0-4 on yotes with it after Christmas. I have dry fired time after time to see if I’m moving the gun in anyway during trigger pull and I’m really not.

I don’t have access to another AR to compare against. Maybe I shoot them all poorly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                      I’ve contemplated this for hours since going 0-4 on yotes with it after Christmas. I have dry fired time after time to see if I’m moving the gun in anyway during trigger pull and I’m really not.

I don’t have access to another AR to compare against. Maybe I shoot them all poorly!!!
                      I hear ya... Only reason i bring this up is all of mine are bull barrels or a scope or modified in some way that makes them heavier. But the mil spec plastic hang guard super light factory triggered guns i have shot that where buddies i shot them all poorly in comparison.

I dont shoot as much as some but i know enough to know that was my issue. That being said if i took my time and breathed accordingly and crept the trigger it got better but IMO they are just hard to shoot accurately into a 1-2" group mil spec.

Comment

How high is your scope mounted? I've seen some where there is no way you could get a good cheek weld.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                          How high is your scope mounted? I've seen some where there is no way you could get a good cheek weld.
                          Good question. I’d have to measure, but it’s not that high, 2-2.5”, maybe? I switched to a VTOR stock in Dec, and that really helped with cheek weld over the standard adjustable stock

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                            Good recommendations. Not sure I know how to check for barrel seating in upper or barrel but today, but I bet I can find a YouTube vid to help. I was going to check the gas block tonight, but I think it’s pretty solid.

Optics mount seems solid and loctite was used.

Not that I have noticed but I will check tonight

For reference it is an Anderson complete rifle. It probably has 300+ rounds through it
                            You have to pull it apart and just rebed it.

When was the last time it was cleaned and decoppered.

Comment

Is your barrel free-floated? When I had a handguard that attached to the barrel, my accuracy was very inconsistent depending on downward pressure. I swapped to a free float handguard and replaced the barrel and that fixed it.

Comment

Working...
                              X