2 Bucks with strange issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Bucks with strange issues

Just checked TC pics yesterday and noticed a huge mass on the chest of our target buck. I named him "Tumor" but not sure that's actually what it is. Ideas?

Also, a buck from last year is back and for the last couple of years he's had a droopy tongue. It's always hanging out of his mouth like this in every pic. Ideas on what caused this? Looks healthy like always so it doesn't seem to keep him from eating or drinking.
    Attached Files

First one, it could be a tumor. Most likely an abscess though. He must've got a thorn or puncture wound that has got infected. It will eventually rupture if it gets big enough or cut into.

Second one, looks like an old buck. May be a neurological injury or something to do with the spot on his neck. Either way, he looks like he is eating just fine. If you don't shoot him this year try and keep an eye on his body condition throughout the Winter.

Comment

I think Josh is right about "Tumor" having an abscess. I took a buck in Sonora several years ago with the same condition in the same location. I surmised he took some barbed wire in the chest along the way. When cleaning the buck, I took extreme care when it came to that area. It was pretty gross. It turned out to be filled with a translucent colored liquid as opposed to pus as I expected. I did cut a wide berth around that part of the meat and had no ill effects at all.

Comment

I believe the first buck has a "seroma", which is "bag" or pocket of skin filled with body fluid. Usually caused by an injury (fighting, fence, etc.). If they get too large they can rupture and drain.
        Second one could be several things. He looks in great shape.

Comment

Google whitetail fibromas...

Comment

Yep, common spot for seroma. I've seen many in my years and they always go away over time, either drained or absorbed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
              Google whitetail fibromas...

Why? That's not what this is.

Seroma. Probably from a barbed wire fence. I've got one showing up that looks just like that.

No idea on the tongue hanging out one.
              Last edited by AntlerCollector; 09-26-2017, 09:50 AM.

Comment

I think the tongue one should be called "Stroker". I agree, he looks like he had a brain injury...hence "stroke"

Comment

Um... to educate yourself??? I mean we are talking about strange issues with whitetails... Aren't we??? I know you know everything and can't wait to type a smart comment when the occasions arises but there are some lesser beings on TBH who might want to learn something...
                  Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  Why? That's not what this is.

Seroma. Probably from a barbed wire fence. I've got one showing up that looks just like that.

No idea on the tongue hanging out one.

Comment

The first one is indeed a seroma. The fluid contained within is mostly sera. Once it ruptures, he can heal normally. Or, if infection develops, septicemia may result, or abscess. The second one has sustained an injury to the leader underneath the tongue that assists with tongue control, hence the inability to pull it back in. Common high fence injury, but can also be sustained with brush, regular fence, etc. They can live a surprisingly long time with this condition (will never improve though).

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
                      Um... to educate yourself??? I mean we are talking about strange issues with whitetails... Aren't we??? I know you know everything and can't wait to type a smart comment when the occasions arises but there are some lesser beings on TBH who might want to learn something...
                      I have has this buck on camera for 3 years now and in almost every picture his tongue is hanging out. When he first showed up he looked horrible, his coat was splotchy and he was skinny, it also looks like his nose was broken. He really turned out well this year and is a feeder pig.

Last pic is him last year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

wow, tapatalk decided to make those the biggest pics ever, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                          I have has this buck on camera for 3 years now and in almost every picture his tongue is hanging out. When he first showed up he looked horrible, his coat was splotchy and he was skinny, it also looks like his nose was broken. He really turned out well this year and is a feeder pig.

Last pic is him last year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                          Do you have any larger pics to post? :SMDH:

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
                            Do you have any larger pics to post? :SMDH:
                            just making sure you could see'em old timer.....

Comment

JS, I would think some type of injury occurred on that dude that caused nerve damage. Aflatoxin can cause some weird stuff and affect the immune system too. IDK

Comment

Working...
                              X