Truck Bed Camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck Bed Camping

I’m looking for advice, input from the green screen regarding truck bed camping!

Long story short, I’ve decided to spend more time sleeping up off the ground as opposed to a tent. I have the truck, I have a camper shell, I even have a storage system that makes a completely flat surface above my wheel wells.

I need advice on the following:
    - Temperature regulation, the ability to cool in the warm months, or achieve a little heat in the colder months? Has anyone mounted a small rv A.C. to the roof of their camper shell? Small window units or any other ideas?

- Anyone with previous experience to this have any must haves or suggestions for this kind of camping?

Any advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

A buddy of mine did that last year. During the warm months, he built a little platform that would hold a window unit about even with his bed rail out of some scrap 2x4. He ran some little ducts over to the side window of his shell and he said he about froze out of there even in the hottest parts of the year.

Comment

Window until
      And electric heater in the winter

Comment

I did it ONCE, never again the condensation was unreal! It was raining and a south Texas thunder storm had destroyed camp mid day while we were hunting. I put cot in bed of truck under camper shell, worst night of my life. As far as rv ac. A 12,500btu is a small one and in 40 sq ft. Of bed it would be just a liiittttle bit over kill. Electric space heat would be only safe way to heat... and they ain’t that safe. I’d use quality sleeping bag for the warm part. I bought a army mummy bag at an army surplus place that will melt you if it’s not snowing. Standard mid weight is fine down to about 40

Warm season will just have to suck

Comment

I have a f250 with a camper. I also have a padded bed rug in the bed that is made for my truck. I had to work in Canyon in February for several days when the lows got down to low 20's. I stayed at Palo Duro State park and ran a small space heater inside the camper shell. It was awesome!! I had multiple power cords and ran my alarm clock, Ipad and a small lamp. That beat any tent I have stayed in. Now for the warm and hot months, I would get a small AC as others have mentioned. Good luck!!

Comment

I did see a guy that had built a plywood tailgate (so to speak) that he utilized and left his tailgate down. He mounted a window unit in the plywood tailgate and had ac. This would be a possibility, but I’ll need to raise the ac up above my decking system. I was hoping to still be able to utilize my hinged window on my shell though!

Comment

Originally posted by Lee230 View Post
              I have a f250 with a camper. I also have a padded bed rug in the bed that is made for my truck. I had to work in Canyon in February for several days when the lows got down to low 20's. I stayed at Palo Duro State park and ran a small space heater inside the camper shell. It was awesome!! I had multiple power cords and ran my alarm clock, Ipad and a small lamp. That beat any tent I have stayed in. Now for the warm and hot months, I would get a small AC as others have mentioned. Good luck!!
              Did you run all of these devices off of a generator? Or did you have a secondary battery system w/inverter?

Comment

Smithb164—-what deck system do you have?

Comment

I had 110/30 amp electricity at the park. I have stayed in the camper at an old lease with no electricity when it was in the 20's as well. Like others stated, great sleeping bag with layers of thermals, good socks and some good sweats for an outer layer. I was fine, I used small battery operated lantern lights. It is fun roughing it when it's cold.

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                    Smithb164—-what deck system do you have?
                    Perow, if I finalize all my plans and purchase one I will go with the Decked system, or I have plans to build my own as well. I’m just trying to finalize the last of my details prior to either buying or building my deck system.

I looked long and hard at the truck vault system as well, I just can’t bring myself to paying 2x as much as the decked system!

Comment

How about putting one of those stand up inside ac and heat units in the corner then you just need to run a dryer vent size hose out of the window

Comment

How are you guys running (aka powering) the AC units?

Comment

I’ve spent as long as 5 1/2 weeks straight in my truck bed, with the camper shell on it. In even the coldest weather I stay comfortable in my winter Army sleeping bag with a good base layer under heavy sweat pants and I always utilize a beanie and a hoody. Thick socks over regular socks, whatever it takes to stay warm.

I’ve also camped in temps over 100 degrees and that is much tougher. I had electricity and ran a fan. I also had water and took a lot of showers!

I have a diesel truck and a donut type inflatable insulator to seal off my truck cab to camper shell sliding window, which theoretically allows me to run the either heat or AC in my truck with a small fan to transfer the air, but I haven’t tried it yet.

Comment

Thanks for the replies thus far!

I am sealed off between the shell and my cab as well, I can leave both of those windows open for airflow. I already have the weather tech window visors so I can leave the windows cracked, just to ensure I have ample airflow and this is one of the reasons I’m not as concerned about water/condensation because of the amount of airflow I have. Then again my thinking could be wrong there.

I have thought about using my truck as my ac/heat source, I’m just not sure about having it sit at idle for hours on end. I’d like to find an alternative and keep the truck as a source for the extreme worst conditions.

Keep the ideas coming!

Comment

Bad things happen with carbon monoxide. If you are going to use a generator, propane heater or run your truck get a detector. Cheapest insurance you will ever buy.

Years ago, we were at a rodeo, a lady and daughter were sleeping in a gooseneck with living quarters. The generator was several feet away from the trailer at the end opposite the living area. The breeze and wind direction must have been just right. It did not end well.

Comment

Working...
                              X